PDA

View Full Version : Modifying the Character Via quest

ExeterIsLame
11-17-2003, 11:27 AM
Next stupid question of the day.
Is there a way through the quest system to modify player stats and settings?

Examples:

Corruption of the Paladin quest
Player gathers some items as a tribute to a dark god and upon turnin this changes the Deity and Class from say Brell to Bertoxulus and Paladin to ShadowKnight.

Strength of Will quest
Player performs some task and doing so raises his permanent strength by +2.

Forging the Alliance quest
Player performs some task and doing so sets his/her faction to Ally with specific faction.[/b]

mattmeck
11-17-2003, 11:42 AM
Corruption of the Paladin quest
Player gathers some items as a tribute to a dark god and upon turnin this changes the Deity and Class from say Brell to Bertoxulus and Paladin to ShadowKnight.

the class change is easy, #permaclass ect ect

Diety is hard coded into the client, cant change

Strength of Will quest
Player performs some task and doing so raises his permanent strength by +2.

No

Forging the Alliance quest
Player performs some task and doing so sets his/her faction to Ally with specific faction

Werent able to in 4.4 and I dont think there were any changes made to this for 5.0.

waternorth
03-26-2004, 08:46 PM
Bump. Is any of this now possible with all our updates?

Monrezz
03-26-2004, 11:45 PM
Yes.

#1 I don't think it's possible to change the characters class via a quest, and even if it was it would probably corrupt the character as most equipment owuldn't work and the skills wouldn't transfer over properly. #permaclass works, although it's not avaliable as a quest function.

#2 Again, I don't think it's possible via quests but the command #setstat will do this.

#3 Yes, faction changes are avaliable. Use the function faction(factionid,value) where factionid is the id of the faction you wish to adjust and value is by how much you wish to raise/lower is (+3, -5, +11 etc).

animepimp
03-28-2004, 02:33 PM
Yes.

#1 I don't think it's possible to change the characters class via a quest, and even if it was it would probably corrupt the character as most equipment owuldn't work and the skills wouldn't transfer over properly. #permaclass works, although it's not avaliable as a quest function.

I've messed around with this a bit with the #permarace and #permaclass commands and neither one of them cause any problems with the character even if the have race or class specific items equipped. The requirements are checked when the item is equiped and never agian after that because it assumes you can't lose the requirements for items. You can log on and off and as long as the item is equipped it will stay equipped jsut fine and give you the benifits of it.

I ahven't really tested skills with #permaclass because I didn't really think of it but what should happen is the character jsut loses the skills the new class doesn't have and any new skills they get start at 0. But they definitely do not cause the charcter to become unplayable because while I haven't actually looked at them before and after using #permaclass I ahve used it when i had levels in class specific skills and no problems came up.

Monrezz
03-29-2004, 04:39 AM
I know how equipment checking is done, but surely if you want them to be able to change class you want them to use the correct equipment, and say a Warrior gets a 100AC BP then changes to Necro. Do you want to allow a Necro with100AC BP?

As for the skills, I believe it will change the skills for you automatically (such as Harm Touch) but it would also be possible for a Ogre Warrior to have forage and hide etc.

I would think Skills need to be reset - at least class specific ones.

smogo
03-29-2004, 04:57 AM
there might be intermediate way between checking in the code, and writting quests in coherent manner.

just think of S0E's eq2 class graph. They provide a kind of 'specialization' after some time. Not everyone could become a necro, only those who have been a spell caster.

In this case (that was just an example), #permaclass is not usable, you wouldn't have a GM devoted to let players specialize. Same for stat, race ...

Adding feature to change more char stuff through quests sounds good at first (look). Just because you have the quest command does not mean you can use it fool proof. Yet it's good to have it imho.