PDA

View Full Version : Skipjack- new redhat.. Linux offtopic..

Trumpcard
04-19-2002, 02:03 AM
Hey! Just installed the new RedHat beta (Skipjack 7.2.93) and I have to say Im really impressed so far..

For one, upgrades a breeze, and I have to say, the new KDE 3.0 is reallllly fast.

They did some good updates in this distro, 2.4.18 kernel, much better process scheduler (good news for us SMP freaks), 4.2.0 Xfree, KDE3, Mysql 49 outta the box, PHP 4.1.2, apache 1.3.23 (24 is out, I know, and no one wants to touch 2 until they have a couple of bug builds released).

Odd though that they made gcc 2.96 the default with this one. I think theyre waiting for the gcc 3.1 branch to go solid before including it in. GNU is predicting anytime right now for that to get finalized.

My upgrade was really simple, as I have my root and home filesystems on seperate filesystems, all I had to do was flush and reformat root (backed up etc and var, plus a few usr/local directories to save my goofy configurations) and swap, do a custom install and pick up what i wanted), kicked off the install, went to bed, woke up this morning and untared my stuff back to the right directories, reloaded my mysql databases, reconfigured my webserver and firewall, and set up dns autoupdate scripts and boom, I was done...

Oh yea, for anyone that loves webservers/mysql/php combo's, check out www.apachetoolbox.com

This guys makes a great package to configure apache for almost all the 3rd party mod.so, and can compile apache, php (with the apc optimizer), and mysql. I've used it for a few releases now, and have been very pleased with it.. Nice all in one solution.. You can even compile in mod_mp3.so :-)

Alot of people bash the redhat distro's, in general, Ive liked them. Hardcorers scream Slack, which I like too, but Slack just hasnt been as active as I'd like it to be. At least with a commerical push, distro's like debian, mandrake and redhat get quicker updates.