PDA

View Full Version : Bouncing NPC bug with 1.9

Drawde
01-19-2002, 08:53 AM
I'm reposting this due to the old EQEmu boards and site being closed down.
This is a problem I found with pre-spawned (from the DB) NPCs in 1.9. If the NPC's spawn location is even slightly higher than the ground level, they start in the air, fall to the ground and are then "teleported" back up to their original start position, repeating over and over again giving a "bouncing" effect. This even happens when the NPC is dead. This effect makes combat and looting virtually impossible (it can look quite funny though, needless to say!)
Putting all the NPCs at the exact ground level wouldn't really work, as most zones (especially outdoor ones) have a varying ground height.
In versions before 1.9, if a NPC's start position was higher than the ground it would automatically be placed at ground level (permanently)
Is this a bug, and can it easily be fixed in the next version?

Anyway, as I said before, great work with the latest version of the emulator.
I've updated my spawn/loot data to include the helm texture and heading (randomised by the parser) as well as more bugfixes and loot data, but will probably wait until the "bouncy NPC" bug is fixed until I release a new version!

DeletedUser
01-19-2002, 09:17 AM
This was actually a bug fix that caused this, hehe.

The NPC updating is what makes this happen. About the only fix for it might be using Gunder's .map files to find the corect Z, not sure, havent looked at those enough.

It's not gonna be taken out, but looking into ways of making the Z report right.

Drawde
01-20-2002, 01:32 AM
I really hope so, the only other alternative would be to write down the Z coordinates of every spawn in the game, and I don't want to think how tedious that would be!
It's very annoying as my spawn data was working really well. Still I'm sure it'll be sorted out eventually.
I've nearly finished the loot data now (except for unique NPCs), when I've done that I'll try doing some quests. I'll also do the merchant item lists when they're implemented in the code.

Gino
01-20-2002, 01:53 AM
"the only other alternative would be to write down the Z coordinates of every spawn in the game"

Hehe that`s exactly what im doing atm for Velious zones.

Regards

Gino

Drawde
01-20-2002, 02:34 AM
It doesn't matter that much if they fall to the ground when they initially spawn, they just need to stop when they hit the ground and not teleport up to the start location again.

Hope you manage to get Velious spawns working, Gino, that'd be great! I only have the Ruins of Kunark EQ CD so can't do anything with Velious zones at the minute, besides I don't have an EQ account any more.

Gino
01-20-2002, 02:41 AM
It`s tendius yes but not undoable.

My biggest problem so far is that i can only guess how much HP they have.
(damm Redhat 7.2 dont like my 3com pcmcia adapter or i would try it with sins)

Any idea where or how to get exact HP values ?

Pballgi
01-20-2002, 03:13 AM
Verant no longer sends exact hp values of npcs to the client.