PDA

View Full Version : daoc server emu underway

Teppen
04-25-2002, 06:10 AM
daoc server emu

http://camelotsland.sourceforge.net/

not much on that site yet, just the news and forums are up.. i noticed this on a uoxdev.com forum while updating to new ver of uox. its cool how everyone is emulating mmorpgs, but so far you guys are #1 in coding an everquest emu. well thought the "off topic" would be the best place to post this, later all.

Trumpcard
04-25-2002, 06:12 AM
Cool ! Once this gets going, I might actually buy DAOC !

LOL.. Funny that an emulator would actually spur me to go buy their product....

meliudaj
04-25-2002, 07:03 AM
Being a fan of DAoC and seeing how insainly more complex the logic and AI is in that game... I put it at about 50,000 more man hours to develop then this. And I once read in a post it took them either 1 or 2 million man hours to create that game the CEO said.

DAoC is a much bigger bite to chew IMHO.

Schmuck
04-29-2002, 01:07 PM
EQEmu colors > DAOCEmu colors

Everdude02
05-01-2002, 01:11 PM
Well one thing about DaOC, is the geography visuals are better than EQs. Still, there are some limited features to it.

Ivel
05-09-2002, 01:12 AM
Ever heard that saying that 2 heads are better than one??

Well, it will soon be proven true.

The developers at CoAD and Camelot's Land will be joining
forces to create a closed source EMU for the Mythic game
DAoC. Much progress has already been made, and much more
is on the way. Encryption info has been completely coded,
client files have been uncompressed and analyzed, packet
sniffers have been created, some packets have already been
defined, and much much more.

At this point in time, there is no release date set for a
useable server. Once we are comfortable with the server in
its Alpha stages, a server will be released to the public
for full testing.

Documentation is already being compiled so that the public
is aware of our progress and aware of things that are
stumping us.

Due to the merge of the two groups, a new name has been set.
Camelot Online eXperience is the official name of the EMU. The CoX website, forums, IRC info can be found on the link listed below:

http://coxdev.mine.nu/

Thanks
The CoX Team

DeletedUser
05-09-2002, 01:30 AM
Closed source will be your downfall.

Teppen
05-09-2002, 07:07 AM
hmmm... closed source is a big turn off. open source is the way to go IMHO. I remember when Ashran's Ethernal Quest emu was closed source... way back, and i remember that long wait of over a year and no updates to the emu. Then I discovered the EQEMU, kept in the dark for awhile jus watching, and was amazed how well the open source project is moving. Dev's and member coders working together, producing updates very quickly and keeping players eyes glued to the site. But im not posting here to start a rant, good luck on your closed source project.

'' ... he's dead, he just doesnt know it yet. '' -- quote from The Hunted.

Trumpcard
05-09-2002, 07:25 AM
The only thing I grumble about on this project is not seeing the 'need to do' list. I like to work on things, but im not going to waste my time doing something if someone else is doing the same work, and in the end my stuff will be thrown away anyway. Thats why I kind of stay on the fringe and play with tools. I get my own jollies and I know that somewhere, someone will be able to use it.

Overall, this project has really shown how powerful the open source paradigm really is. Finding lots of little bug/code fixes on the boards, updates, etc. Alot of people have really come together to make this thing a success in such a short period of time.

Heres my prediction on the DaoC closed source project. Its closed source, so as soon as the few guys starting it get bored, move on to something else, etc, it will die in the water and no one will be able to pick up from where they left off. It will probably turn out exactly like etheralquest did.

Baltar
05-09-2002, 07:59 AM
might not be a good thing to advertise the top ten viruses on your coxdev site. People might take it the wrong way. And why would you do that anyways?

DeletedUser
05-09-2002, 09:19 AM
I ask the same question.. there any purpose to having it? Other than scaring 90% of the people going to your page?

Ariak
05-09-2002, 10:10 AM
Gay site. It's a cross between an emulator and a l33t Geocities page that's yet to get shut down.

Baron Sprite
05-09-2002, 11:12 AM
Closed source is wuwu :mad:

Catranis
05-13-2002, 11:56 AM
The devs of the DAOC emu should re-evaluate their options
1. Closed Source- Do it themselves and never get it done
2. Open Source- Do some work, others do some work, gets done, and fast

Examples
1. Closed Source- EthernalQuest. No updates in a long period of time, and only a select few working on it
2. Open Source- EQEmu. Updates periodically and quality updates. Many highly skilled people working on it.