PDA

View Full Version : 5996 loginserver is going away on 9/25

Doodman
09-22-2004, 02:22 AM
If you are currently using the loginserver on port 5996, please change to use the loginserver on port 5994.

The one on 5994 is the lastest one, here is why you should move:
1) 5994 has full crypto support, so no need to use the authorization reset work around like before.
2) The 5996 login server has a workaround for the random account bug that prevents people from logging in their own server host behind a NAT firewall. 5994 does not.

If you are running an older version of 5.8, then you might have the code in there to support #2 from above and you'll need to update to be able to have people join your servers.

rizzen04
09-22-2004, 03:11 AM
is the dev release version of 5.9 compatable with current live or is it as of the day before the expansion came out? Thanks.

sianyde
09-22-2004, 03:36 AM
What are NAT people supposed to do? At one point, I think, there were different loginservers for 5.6, 5.7 DR4, and 5.7 DR6 at least. Is it necessary to remove 5996 until there is a way for NAT people to login to their own server?

Doodman
09-22-2004, 06:07 AM
NAT people can log in to their own servers, always have been except for a slight amount of time with the loginserver on 5996.

If you are having problems doing such, it is not a login server or eqemu bug.

The problem is probably that your router will not allow you reference the external interface from inside.

Removing 5996 will do nothing to prevent NAT people from using their own servers, it actaully removes something that is -preventing- such.

Doodman
09-22-2004, 06:29 AM
See the following link to my guide about how you can play on your own server behind a NAT router:
http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=99240#99240

sianyde
09-22-2004, 09:11 AM
See the following link to my guide about how you can play on your own server behind a NAT router:
http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=99240#99240

This is the exact solution I was using until 5.8. Then, the "bad/expired session" issue arose. It was possible to connect by eliminating the router. However, with 5.9, the issue is still present, for me at least.

Edit: To clarify, I'm using 5994 and still getting the bad/expired session with my router, same setup at 5.7 DR6. I can connect to my server when I'm not behind the router. I'm using an SMC Barricade smc7004vbr.

tubing_champ
09-22-2004, 02:00 PM
login server works fine, but when i try to enter game it just takes me back to server select...

cavedude
09-22-2004, 03:05 PM
My router prevents me from using 5994 as well. I'm using the newest cvs, and I have to have a domain name setup otherwise I can't connect to any login. I get bad/expired session key with the router, connect just fine without it. 5996 using the "released" 5.8 source works perfectly.

Doodman
09-22-2004, 04:45 PM
I think the "released" 0.5.8 version of EQEmu has the changes in world that uses your IP for LS->world handoff like the 5996 login server does. Which also matches what you are seeing.

As far as the latest CVS, what version is that. I assume it is 0.5.9-DR1. For that 5996 loginserver will -not- work for it, as 0.5.9-DR1 does not use the IP during hand off.

My server is running 0.5.9-DR1 and my client is patched completely to live. I am behind a NAT fire wall and I am doing the DNS "trick".

I'm connecting to the login server on port 5994 and it works flawlessly. As a matter of fact, I am sitting at character select on my server right now.

And, I just tried it with the pre-9/14 client and I'm zoned in to Gfay.

Moral of the story? If you are on 0.5.8, move to 0.5.9-DR1.

sianyde
09-22-2004, 04:53 PM
As far as the latest CVS, what version is that. I assume it is 0.5.9-DR1. For that 5996 loginserver will -not- work for it, as 0.5.9-DR1 does not use the IP during hand off. [quote]

That's what I'm using (0.5.9-DR1).

[quote]
My server is running 0.5.9-DR1 and my client is patched completely to live. I am behind a NAT fire wall and I am doing the DNS "trick".

I'm using the DNS trick, but I'm not patched to live (live as in 'right now')

I'm connecting to the login server on port 5994 and it works flawlessly. As a matter of fact, I am sitting at character select on my server right now.

I get the bad/expired session key. If I were to patch, right now, should it work?

Elkay
09-23-2004, 04:28 AM
I did the hack to the 5.8 code that allows the bypass of the bad session key problem. That worked fine with the 5996 login server. However when I switched to port 5994, that problem came back *even though I still had the hacked code in place*. I thought this was odd, and still haven't resolved the problem. Hoping that 5.9DR1 will fix this, but I won't be able to grab the CVS until tonight after work. Regardless, doesn't that seem odd though?

kidder
09-23-2004, 04:38 AM
I think the "released" 0.5.8 version of EQEmu has the changes in world that uses your IP for LS->world handoff like the 5996 login server does. Which also matches what you are seeing.

As far as the latest CVS, what version is that. I assume it is 0.5.9-DR1. For that 5996 loginserver will -not- work for it, as 0.5.9-DR1 does not use the IP during hand off.

And, I just tried it with the pre-9/14 client and I'm zoned in to Gfay.

Moral of the story? If you are on 0.5.8, move to 0.5.9-DR1.

After reading all of the threads on this site pertaining to the compatability of the CURRENT live patch and EQEmu, I have found that most people are saying it will not work until the next release. Doodman, you are the only one that hints at the opposite. In the above post you state that you are patched fully to live and sitting at the character select screen on the 5994 loginserver. But, can you actually login to the world with that most current patch (post 9/14)? I'm thinking the answer is no.

We are running a 0.5.9-DR1 server and are able to connect to the server and create characters. When we try to enter the world we are brought back to the server select screen. I know there are 100 other posts annoying the hell out of everyone with the same problem, but honestly I am trying to grasp at the hope that you are right...or that I have read your posts right and the newest CVS is compatible with live.

I already have a client that will play on WR, and one that will play on 5.7DR6 servers. I just missed the short window between the release of 5.8 and the patch of 9/14. Not dead in the water, I'm just anxious to try out the new PEQ database and EQEmu program...sounds slick as hell.

Doodman
09-23-2004, 04:56 AM
There was a bug in the 5994 LS, it was only sending the LSClientAuth packet to locked servers if were a LS admin.

Non-locked servers should have been fine.

It's fixed and restarted, please let me know if you still encounter the bad/expired key thing.

tubing_champ
09-23-2004, 10:20 AM
for me it's showing no servers to select :O

sianyde
09-23-2004, 12:34 PM
It's fixed and restarted, please let me know if you still encounter the bad/expired key thing.

I'm in now, thanks. I'm using the pre-14th client tho.

Should have tried unlocking it, or at least mentioning that.

Z.Wylde
09-25-2004, 06:07 AM
no servers show up for me

i did patch to live on the 24th. this could be my problem

racerxdl
09-27-2004, 04:19 AM
Works with Trilogy Version?

neondragon
09-29-2004, 08:00 AM
Hiy, is it not possible to use emulator after patching EQ??? i recently quit EQ... but emulator is to nice and different to quit.... but i cant use it becuase 1 i cant find a guide on how to change the files and shit.... and 2 i dunno if i can even log in w/ new thing... can u guys please help me? jhoppy16@hotmail.com i really need support =)