PDA

View Full Version : Dungeon Builder 1.5, OpenZone 5.1, and Sample Textures

Windcatcher
10-18-2004, 10:30 AM
It's been a while since I've released anything, but I definitely haven't dropped work on my tools -- I've been doing a lot of under-the-hood work on OpenZone.

Dungeon Builder 1.5

1. The 3D portion (where you walk around the dungeon and assign individual textures) uses a newly-redesigned engine that is a lot faster and more capable.

2. Sped up rendering in the main view.

3. When you drag a handle of any type, its (X,Y,Z) position will be displayed on the status bar. This is most helpful for lining up objects that are either above or below the grid.

4. Edit...Preferences now also has a default room height setting that is 40 by default.

OpenZone 5.1

1. LOTS of bug fixes.

2. Redesigned 3D engine that is way, way, way faster (it actually supports much more than OpenZone can handle, such as animated objects).

3. Experimental export for .XWF files. I can't guarantee that this is bug-free or not subject to change, since the file format is still being hammered out and we don't even have an XWF viewer yet.

4. In the display properties pane, changed the ambient light slider to a time-of-day slider instead. As you move it OpenZone will try to reproduce lighting as if your zone is an outdoor zone (red tint at sunrise/sunset, bluish moonlight at night, etc.)

5. Added a "run continuously" checkbox tied to the time-of-day slider that, when checked, does what it says: the time will run continuously, at the same 20x rate as in-game. Day will gradually turn to night, which will eventually turn to day.

6. Added a "show stars" checkbox that is also related to the time-of-day setting. When checked, you'll see stars at night that fade out as day approaches and wheel in the sky as time passes (much like in real life). The star-handling code is pretty accurate and takes latitude and planetary tilt into account as well as the time of year (fixed at March 21 for now). OpenZone always uses the same random seed when generating stars so they will always be the same. It's just a cosmetic effect, but I like it...If we ever create a client it would be neat to have different zones have different latitudes, which would affect the star display...

7. Some cosmetic changes to many dialog buttons (new bitmaps).

8. The sky color should be much more accurate.

OpenZone sample Textures

1. Added more textures to Texture Pack #3.

2. Updated the door textures in Texture Pack #2.

Everything I release is available here:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=88515&package_id=128908&rel ease_id=276176

Wind

Edit: I found a minor bug in OZ 5.1 regarding the mesh picker in the ground editor screen. I re-uploaded a fixed version and it should be current as of 8:15 PM EDT.

KhaN
10-22-2004, 09:37 AM
Nice release, i like new icons :p

BTW, i wasnt able to use texture with size like 2000x1000, my new zones use photo realist texture and lots are more than 1024x1024.
On OZ, all meshes appear milky :(

When i use my good old textures (512x512), all seem to work fines, i was wondering if textures in OZ got a limit in size ...

Shadow-Wolf
10-22-2004, 11:15 AM
umm yeah khan i dont think eq supports that high of a resolution....just a though been a while since ive played with eq files.

KhaN
10-22-2004, 11:20 AM
EQ support large textures, i made test where i loaded 4096x4096 DDS textures, EQ, in term of textures, is only limited by your hardware.
If i use 512x512 textures, load zone in OZ, compile as S3D, and then open SpyEQ to change 512x512 textures by larger one (2048x2048), it work fine when i play under EQ ...

EDIT : It appear water is bugged, with irregular form. When i make a rectangular water under max, it appear irregular under OZ water setting and never show up (on OZ and EQ).

jbb
10-22-2004, 09:34 PM
BTW, i wasnt able to use texture with size like 2000x1000, my new zones use photo realist texture and lots are more than 1024x1024.
On OZ, all meshes appear milky

Textures have to be a power of 2 in each dimension generally so 2048x1024 might have worked. On some older hardware they have to be square too.

KhaN
10-22-2004, 09:58 PM
erf, resize time inc ...

Windcatcher
10-23-2004, 04:22 AM
That's true about powers of 2. OpenZone uses OpenGL, which absolutely *requires* that textures be powers of 2 in size.

Mongrel
10-23-2004, 08:57 PM
Unless, of couse, you use the non-power-of-two extension (http://oss.sgi.com/projects/ogl-sample/registry/ARB/texture_non_power_of_two.txt) 8)