PDA

View Full Version : Question for the PEQ team

moadhib
10-21-2004, 12:39 AM
Hey guys, love your stuff! :D

Just a quick question:

How will the Kunark DB be released?

I have taken the 5.8 classic DB and applied it to my server. I now have introduced all the quests from EqLive to my starting zones. For example; If I have a quest for a Gnome Paladin Breastplate (newb armor) - Deep Muses Breastplate - and the ID is 11342, will the item ID be different with the Kunark release?

I guess I'm asking if the Kunark DB is appended with the Classic, with the ID's from Classic still intact?

If not I guess I'm gonna have to rewrite alot of quests hehe...

sotonin
10-21-2004, 01:00 AM
Item id's never change.

And ya, the classic zones are staying the same. So your quests shouldn't break.

:wink:

mysticalninjajesus
10-21-2004, 01:40 AM
classic db with those newbie armor quests from velious? yuck.

sotonin
10-21-2004, 02:14 AM
I don't think he's aspiring for a classic server. that's why he's asking about our next expansion. :P

moadhib
10-21-2004, 03:07 AM
I'm using the classic database because it's the most complete by far for the zones introduced. I'm not interested in using other zones until releases by the PEQ, I like quality over quantity. :D

I wouldn't call 1150+ quest items (classic only) yuck either... I have been puking up Perl for the last few days now...

Muuss
10-21-2004, 03:22 AM
I think the community would be very gratefull if it could get those 1150 quests, even more if they're written for PEQ !!! :)

vetoeq
10-21-2004, 03:39 AM
Agreed, get in contact with the PEQ folks and see how to best align your quests with their DB's!

sotonin
10-21-2004, 03:53 AM
If they are *real* live quests, indeed we very much would love them! And we would love you to help us work on the official quest team as well.

moadhib
10-21-2004, 05:06 AM
Cool, will do.

I have actually counted 1323 quests for Classic only zones. I now have intimate knowledge of Allakhazam's hehe.

Right now I'm going through the code and testing the quest's randomly, I made sure not to include partial or broken quests.

Right now I'm starting a Kunark Quest pack - including Epic 1.0 quests.

Thank god NPCID's and ITEMID's aren't changing hehe, I'd be in tears :P

movieman
10-21-2004, 05:09 AM
Thanks for the work: that quest pack sounds great!

moadhib
10-21-2004, 05:30 AM
I should have the Classic Quest pack ready and tested for Monday. I don't like bugs heh.

As for the Kunark Quest pack, well, those Epic quests aren't called Epic for nothing lol... and I don't have all the spawn info either at the moment...

Xothin
10-21-2004, 06:19 AM
I might be able to help a bit with a couple of them.... but they're long and well... nasty.

I've helped with, Druid, Ranger, done Rogue myself, some of Cleric

What kind of info do you need?

fathernitwit
10-21-2004, 06:43 AM
just a suggestion....

item ids are fixed so you dont have to worry about them.

On the other hand, while PEQ's NPC IDs will never change, theres nothing saying they have to be the way they are, aka they are not collected from live in any way.

So my suggestion is to write named quests insetad of putting them into files based on ID. This is how we are doing all future quests on PEQ. Its a lot easier to write and read them this way. If you need more info about the system, you can look here:
http://eqemu.psend.com/quest_scripts_release.txt

you just need a server built with them enabled. the #define to enable it is at the top of embparser.cpp right now, but will be moving to features.h within a couple hours in CVS.

but it shouldne tbe too hard to convert the ID based ones with a script, I did it for the original perl quests, and I can do it again if needed.

mysticalninjajesus
10-22-2004, 01:38 PM
I wouldn't call 1150+ quest items (classic only) yuck either... I have been puking up Perl for the last few days now...

newbie armor quests are not from classic. infact they ruin the rest of classics' quest content with their rewards.. i mean.. magic items from newbie quests? ever wondered why you havent checked if a item was magic in years? those quests have alot to do with it. not only that but they are not the same quality of the real quests. they make no sense. (random no sense items into a 'magical container' to get a 'magical armor material'... very lame) but the worst part about them is they give gear with stats at lvl 8 that wouldnt normaly be obtainable until like lvl 30

keep perfecting the classic quest db plz thnx. im sure its not perfect and still much to do bnefore you work on kunark db..

btw heres something i dont see you could of possibly made a classic quest db without. (allakazam is horrible for quest info, especially for npc text) http://www.eqcaster.com/downloads/EverQuest.chm

btw plz dont tell me you made some of the npc chat up based on the little description on allakazam.

Cisyouc
10-22-2004, 01:50 PM
I have actually counted 1323 quests for Classic only zones. I now have intimate knowledge of Allakhazam's hehe. Dude thats just creepy. hehe

Daeath
10-22-2004, 03:23 PM
What is PEQ's offical stance on implementing some quests into its server? Something we'll see by Thanksgiving? Its such a fine server (other than I get dropped every hour or so), really only marred by the lack of depth that NPC quests give. Other than that, an outstanding server - to say the least!

And yea - those newbie armor quests pissed off alot of the 0|_])'$|<oo|_ players who'd been there since day 1 when we had to sweat just to get to level 15, walking from freeport to qeynos both ways barefoot un-sow'd in the snow, paying a week's wage for bindings and ports, 99+ people to take down Nagafen...

Ahh, the good old days!

sotonin
10-22-2004, 03:25 PM
PEQ will not get quests until people write them.

Simple. We'd like a team to gather and work alongside us, but right now we just arent having activity on that front.

Xothin
10-22-2004, 07:18 PM
Sotonin, I'm your man. ^.^

A friend of mine and I are starting to work on scripts for NPCs.

I've already started adding all the gods attacks to them..(found out just how nasty Tallon Zek is in PoTactics after I added his attacks. hehe)

He has intimate knowledge of what it takes to get the high end raid encounters to spawn and the events that go along with them.

I just need some details on how to code up some of the NPCs in the database.(IE for airplane, the mobs should not respawn for 24 hours etc.. and they should be dropping parts to get to the next plane each time.) I can add the scripts, if the functions are there to spawn NPCs when a certain number of conditions are met, IE in the airplane section again, there is an NPC that spawns when all the fairies are killed. I could easily do this with a counter variable, incrementing it each time one of them is killed all the way up to the number of them that are spawned, but was wondering if there was some other, function related method, so I wouldn't have to go and retrieve all the mob IDs and create my function that way.

sotonin
10-23-2004, 07:55 AM
We're only doing classic-kunark-velious atm. we need a bunch of bulk quests added for all these expansions. Not to concerned about high lvl pop encounters. not for a long time. we need everyday noob and mid lvl quests first.

as far as your other question, i don't know hardly anything about quests, so i can't answer it. hence why i'm not writing the quests myself.

Sarvius
10-24-2004, 05:47 PM
My roommate and I have been playing for 5 and 6 years, respectively. We've been raiding high-end for about as long, so if you need knowledge or testing of encounters (especially once you get to Velious - between the two of us, we know every side of every encounter in that expansion. Him as a cleric and I as a bard) just let us know, we'd be more than willing to help, especially if it got us to raid! Hell, it's what we lived for for quite some time.

Pontcho

govtcheeze
11-08-2004, 02:56 AM
Any update on the 1k+ pack of quests?

Lurker_005
11-08-2004, 02:39 PM
sotonin:
If you don't already have them, making most of the hackersquest collected quests work isn't too hard. Granted from there it would still take quite a bit of work to finish them out to the quality level of the rest of your release. The quests in perl format have been floating around for some time, along with an app to renumber them for the NPC numbers in a new database.

Also didn't someone make an app to grab quests from some EQ site? Or was that tradeskill recipies? Still it might be possible to do.

sotonin
11-08-2004, 03:05 PM
The quest pack floating around, sucks.

And as i've said before. I don't do quests. Kroeg is leading up the quest department. I wash my hands in it!

mwmdragon
01-07-2005, 02:51 PM
Any more info on the PEQ quest pack ?

fathernitwit
01-07-2005, 04:57 PM
http://www.projecteq.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=121

havent gotten around to posting an announcement around here yet.