PDA

View Full Version : Linux installation instructions/readme

strago
05-03-2002, 04:13 PM
I thought it would be a good idea to write this so some of the less *nix fluent people could get it working and manipulate the server. Anyways, feel free to post any comments/suggestions on it and to add or remvoe anythin from it.

psycox
05-04-2002, 07:12 AM
following that config, won't it only load the first zoneserver?

theCoder
05-04-2002, 07:32 AM
This is a good start! Here are a few comments:

* Is there a part 1? It doesn't seem to be in the file.

* The setup instructions for mySQL should probably include some steps to create a database user account (I use eqe) with a password. (unfortunately, every time I figure out how to do it, I forget to write it down, and then forget later...)

* In the current part 2, step 2, it says copy 'spad.eff' -- that should be 'spdat.eff'.

* Since there aren't any distributed linux binaries (yet), there should probably be something about compiling the source.

* Your boot script would probably look better like this:

#!/bin/sh

PUB_IP=YourIP
ZONE=path/to/zone

$ZONE . $PUB_IP 7995 127.0.0.1 &> zone1.log &
$ZONE . $PUB_IP 7996 127.0.0.1 &> zone2.log &
$ZONE . $PUB_IP 7997 127.0.0.1 &> zone3.log &
$ZONE . $PUB_IP 7998 127.0.0.1 &> zone4.log &
$ZONE . $PUB_IP 7999 127.0.0.1 &> zone5.log &

* It may be a good idea to reorder the insturctions, since mySQL needs to be set up before the EMU can be compiled. So perhaps a preliminary section that is getting and installing mySQL (including the dev stuff). I'd say have sections (1) Installing MySQL, (2) Getting and compiling the EMU, (3) Setting up the EMU database, the ini files, and the boot scripts, (4) running the EMU, and (5) importing world data.

* The section about running the EMU should probably mention that the user will need two terminals initially.

psycox
05-04-2002, 08:30 AM
ya hehe thats pretty much what i've got, though i'd really like it to run as a daemon so i could just start it up as such in init

theCoder
05-04-2002, 08:46 AM
This is the actual script that I use. It's modeled after the redhat (and mandrake) style of init scripts. I don't acutally use it in init, but it could probably be modified to work like that. It does have a couple of assumptions (such as where the binaries are and what sort of logging to do). I really should work on making it more general purpose...

(remove the .txt when you save it... the board software seems to think that if it doesn't end in .txt it's not a real text file...)

TheClaus
05-24-2002, 08:18 AM
theCoder,

Thanks for the file. It helped out alot. Now I can just run the program and let it go.

Thanks