PDA

View Full Version : Zone names

Speedz
10-25-2004, 12:13 PM
I was wondering how if possable can you change the zone name that shows in gameplay.

Like in character selection and the message you get while LOADING PLEASE WAIT (zoneing) :-)

I have working zones that I made from scratch, and did all my homework on finding that the zones that "we" make have to replace existing zones as far as short name and ID # , just havn't seen if we can change the game play name of our zones.

Cutter
10-25-2004, 12:53 PM
i think this involves with editing the actual client.. which in turn all your players would have to have the client itself... which in turn would get you into alot of trouble...

i havent done this.. nor do i have the knowledge to do it.. nor do i really wanna do it lol.. but im pretty sure thats whatcha gotta do :wink:

Malignus Wingnut
10-25-2004, 01:42 PM
You can edit the zone names in DB and make them show up differently when you do a /who from inside the zone, but they wont show up in char select or loading screens as that has to do with the client. What cutter says is correct.

Cisyouc
10-25-2004, 02:36 PM
Its not editing the client....

eqstr_us.txt holds the zone names you see in the ENTERING XXXXX....., which wouldnt be editing the client.

The db holds the rest of the times you see the zone name that changing the string in that txt file doesnt change.

Speedz
10-26-2004, 12:29 AM
Thanks for the replys, been pondering this a few days.

I did try to edit the eqstr_us.txt and there is another one that holds similiar data.

But all I got was a wierd error that appeared along with the name and old zone name, of my characters in the character select. Also got odd errors while in the game. No game text came up.

Everything that would normallly be displayed like motd, zone messages, even the logout timer showed up as errors.

I do plan to send my zone files to those that will be playing on my server, not sure how to make em readily available as I do not have any hosting space on the internet :-(. So any edits in client files are fairly expected in the zone files or text/config files. Of course if I have to edit the exe's then I can forget that :-)

None of my zones even closely resemble EQ in any way :-)

eq_addict_08
10-26-2004, 07:27 AM
Cool. Trolls just re-took Grobb on my server. Sick of that Gukta place.

Cisyouc
10-26-2004, 08:22 AM
Thanks for the replys, been pondering this a few days.

I did try to edit the eqstr_us.txt and there is another one that holds similiar data.

But all I got was a wierd error that appeared along with the name and old zone name, of my characters in the character select. Also got odd errors while in the game. No game text came up.

Everything that would normallly be displayed like motd, zone messages, even the logout timer showed up as errors.

I do plan to send my zone files to those that will be playing on my server, not sure how to make em readily available as I do not have any hosting space on the internet :-(. So any edits in client files are fairly expected in the zone files or text/config files. Of course if I have to edit the exe's then I can forget that :-)

None of my zones even closely resemble EQ in any way :-)You probably edited it in notepad right?

Use Mongrels String Module embedded in the Spell Editor.

killspree
10-26-2004, 09:55 AM
Can also use wordpad, which comes with windows.

Speedz
10-26-2004, 10:27 AM
Ah thanks Cisyouc that worked great.

I used wordpad before. I guess doing it that way doesn't change all that is needed.

Kill, just curious, have you edited zone names successfully with wordpad?

eq_addict_08
10-26-2004, 07:15 PM
You can use woedpad/notepad. You just have to make sure it doesn't put in a carriage return after the last line. You will get the error that way.

Adh87
10-28-2004, 02:27 AM
Cool. Trolls just re-took Grobb on my server. Sick of that Gukta place.

What server? I hated Frogloks

sotonin
10-28-2004, 03:00 AM
Classic DB has trolls in gukta, not frogloks. So any server that uses classic this is the case.

killspree
10-28-2004, 03:54 AM
Speedz: Yes, I do all my eqstr_us.txt editing in wordpad and it works fine.