PDA

View Full Version : Banning people

mattmeck
10-29-2004, 01:02 PM
Didnt know where to put this so here it is,

We have had a few bad apples that we have needed to ban latly, here is the parting comment for the last one

[16:23] <****> Mattmeck YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO BAN ME
[16:23] <****> I HAVE THE RIGHTS FOR FREEDOM OF SPEACH!
[16:23] <****> I WILL TAKE THIS ALL THE WAY TO COURT
[16:23] <****> IVE BEEN A LAWYER FOR 22 YEARS I KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT

Now I hear that "I have the freedome of speach" and " if you ban me i will sue" so often im beginning to hate Americans......and im From Texas....

Now anyone out there who knows Internet law, would you care to quote chapter and verse one way or the other to prove or disprove the statments?

animepimp
10-29-2004, 01:06 PM
He's just full of BS, he's probably a 14 year old kid that knows nothing. He isn't paying anything and doesn't have any contract with you, not even a crappy EULA. He has no right to use up your server resources if you don't want him to. EQ Live bans people and they pay for the service.

Xabob
10-29-2004, 01:51 PM
Didnt know where to put this so here it is,

We have had a few bad apples that we have needed to ban latly, here is the parting comment for the last one

[16:23] <****> Mattmeck YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO BAN ME
[16:23] <****> I HAVE THE RIGHTS FOR FREEDOM OF SPEACH!
[16:23] <****> I WILL TAKE THIS ALL THE WAY TO COURT
[16:23] <****> IVE BEEN A LAWYER FOR 22 YEARS I KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT

Now I hear that "I have the freedome of speach" and " if you ban me i will sue" so often im beginning to hate Americans......and im From Texas....

Now anyone out there who knows Internet law, would you care to quote chapter and verse one way or the other to prove or disprove the statments?

All i got to say is....

ROFL!!!!!!!

mattmeck
10-29-2004, 02:06 PM
He isn't paying anything and doesn't have any contract with you, not even a crappy EULA.

Actualy Scorp changed the EULA to the scorp server rules, so people who play on Scorps have to click "i agree" to our rules :shock:

However, i KNOW he is full of crap, I just want chapter and vers i can send people like this to read, so i can call them morons to there faces.

veilshield2000
11-04-2004, 04:10 AM
Actually EULA's don't hold up in a court of law they are just there to keep those not in the know in check. Ask any lawyer, SoE along with a bunch of other companies love to throw that around to try and scare people or intimate people that might sue. Fact is really noone actually reads the whole EULA thus it doesn't really hold water in court. Think there was a issue with microsoft about that back in the day.

sotonin
11-04-2004, 04:42 AM
You don't keep up with times. Recently Blizzard ENFORCED their EULA in court. They won.

Mongrel
11-04-2004, 05:05 AM
I personnaly doubt that it much to do with the EULA, it was more along the lines of "offering a service similar to a copyrighted one". Also it had something to do with reverse engineering.

Sure, Blizzard ALSO put it in their EULA, but in my opinion that wasn't one of the important points in that lawsuit (although Blizzard most likely claimed that it was to scare off other people).

RangerDown
11-04-2004, 05:39 AM
Reverse engineering is permitted as fair use in copyright law, unless you contracturally agree otherwise. If they sued over reverse engineering, it could only be the EULA that provided for that.

veilshield2000
11-05-2004, 01:01 PM
sotonin you could provide a link or it was just by word of mouth that you found out about this? Apparently I don't keep up with the times and would love to read about this. Hook me up pimp.

Psylocke
11-05-2004, 01:19 PM
Heres how i look at this.. I pay for this server, I hold this server, I help work on this server.... and im not sure what laws are in your state or country... but where i live..

I can fire anyone that works for me if i just dont like you.. i need no reason...

so basically it works this way.. if someone comes on something that i own.. like my property.. or anything that i currently own.. and piss me off.. well sorry but you are a goner..

and please take me to court.. I would be more than happy to laugh you right out of the courthouse.. when they tell you.. you are completely insane.. and.. you need a life...

Point being is this.. These Server OPS.. are doing you a nice favor to let you play on thier servers.. they ask for no money.. no rewards no nothing.. they work hard on servers..just to hear the normal crap...

can i be a gm? no?
well your server sucks

or... Hey can you give me crap cause this isnt live and well im a spoiled person and i think im better than everyone else and you should give it to me or i will threaten to hack you ...

or.. how about this golden one.. umm i love to pvp and since your server is not a pvp server.. i felt the need to come on your server and flame you and then come on the forums and show what an obsessive idiot i am and post why your server sucks so badly cause its not pvp...

im not sure.. but i really wished there was a way to Register an account before letting anyone play on a server.... like not just with Eqemu.. but i mean register with the server itself

surely would keep some rift raft out and some players really happy to keep those people off the server completley

making it a private server

veilshield2000
11-05-2004, 01:35 PM
Yeah man a private server would be the win. Just to have you and your friends to play on and the few select peopel that wont complain when you need to take it down to update it.

vetoeq
11-05-2004, 02:12 PM
The First Amendment protects the individuals right to freedom of speech from being infringed upon by the government. You are not free to walk into my home and say whatever you want and I can -ban- you from my home on the grounds of what you say or do.

To put it another way, the First Amendment keeps the cops from stopping me from saying whatever I want, but it doesn't protect me from getting the shit beat out of me for calling my neighbors sister a whore while standing in his front room. He might get in trouble for beating the crap out of me, but he's not violating my First Amendment rights.

Finally, the First Amendment only protects that speech which is non-destructive/non-detremential to the population. I can't scream "fire" in a movie theater and be protected. I can't walk up and down my street at 3:00AM and wake my neighbors up screaming about how I'm going to fuck their daughters.

Trust me, he's a 14 year old who thinks he knows something he doesn't. He should spend more time listening to his teachers and less time jacking off to cheating or being a general pest on your server.

Psylocke
11-05-2004, 02:39 PM
well in Ultima Online EMU we used a program called UOgateway.. it had sorta of a login server also.. but a bit different.. anyways.. next to the name of the server was a BIG A.. meaning Auto-Account..

the player would have to click that. be sent to the server webpage.. and there they would have to register and wait for confirmation with a username and password to get on the server...

now, from what i understand EQEMU doesnt work that way.. or atleast i dont think it does.. i cannot normally put a user name in my database and have the user to connect to it.. but im just wondering if this is something that may end up having as a solution to some problems...

If so.. i would for one use it.. and again ... keep my server private and only let select people in...

most players who would go through the trouble to register, wait for an email confirmation, and whatever.. probably 9 times out of 10 would not start a bunch of junk once they got on the server..

and that case was proven in that emu community as well..

hypershadow66
11-06-2004, 04:21 PM
im not sure.. but i really wished there was a way to Register an account before letting anyone play on a server.... like not just with Eqemu.. but i mean register with the server itself

surely would keep some rift raft out and some players really happy to keep those people off the server completley

making it a private server

Well, since people say that minilogin will work with other IP's not in your network, you could have them sign up and give their IP, or something like that, and you will add them to your loginserver accounts. Ive never testing logging into minilogin like that though, so im not completely sure...

RangerDown
11-06-2004, 05:40 PM
A private server? I've never tried this, but have you ever set the DefaultStatus to -1 or -2 in LoginServer.ini? Would this mean that anyone popping into your server is automatically banned unless the serverop goes in and unbans them?

Bumpo
11-06-2004, 06:24 PM
I'm wondering what grounds he'd sue on?

Guy (aka Prick): "I need compensation for the hours of torment and agony, as well as my steep psychiatric bill, caused directly by that man, right there!"

*he points*

Judge: "And what exactly did he do?"

Guy *sniffling*: "He didn't let me play his game! WAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!"

Judge: "..."

;)

mattmeck
11-06-2004, 06:36 PM
actualy its more like

them "hey im an american i have the RIGHT to freedom of speach"

me " he told a 7 year olf to blow him and he was gonna @ss rape him then crap in his mouth, how is that protected under free speach? he also stated he was gonna hack into the server and delete everything, isnt that considered terrorism now a days......"

People dont realize there "freedoms" are only freedoms when they dont interfear with others freedoms......

m0oni9
11-06-2004, 07:06 PM
Reverse engineering is permitted as fair use in copyright law, unless you contracturally agree otherwise. If they sued over reverse engineering, it could only be the EULA that provided for that.
I don't think it is so clear-cut as that. I'm don't know how thoroughly you've read through the DMCA, but it makes a lot of this sort of stuff illegal, or at least questionable (mod chips, Dmitry case, etc.). If something is distributed, to the public especially, aspects of fair use can go out the window.

Wiz
11-07-2004, 03:40 AM
actualy its more like

them "hey im an american i have the RIGHT to freedom of speach"

me " he told a 7 year olf to blow him and he was gonna @ss rape him then crap in his mouth, how is that protected under free speach? he also stated he was gonna hack into the server and delete everything, isnt that considered terrorism now a days......"

People dont realize there "freedoms" are only freedoms when they dont interfear with others freedoms......

There is no freedom of speech on a private server. :p