PDA

View Full Version : MMORPG's... The Difference...

Slayden
11-14-2004, 05:24 AM
Personally I am finding it very difficult to become interested in any of the newer MMO's- but they just don't seem to fit.

Now, I know many long for their newbie days for many, many reasons, partly being that thats when everything was new and fresh, and our addictions thrived.

Maybe its just because EQ was the first mmo that I ever experienced, for example, us older people believe ___ was the best music, and the beatles being great, while the newer kids think it sucks, and the music of their generation is the best music.

So my generation was EQ. There is something about the original EQ that draws me to it, and still does, so many things that i like about it so much more than any newer mmo up to date. The style, the graphics, the spells, the lore, the zones, the choices, the hunts, the creatures, the detail. I just can't put my finger on it all, but to me it was just, the perfect mmorpg.

I've been playing EQ2 for nearly a week, and i'm in the wow beta. Personally i'm finding wow a bit more enjoyable than EQ2, but aside from that, i'd much rather be running around norrath, taking down those hill giants with my soulfire and a few friends in rathe mountains, while waiting for that big plane of hate fear raid that was going to gather within the next few hours... And keeping an everwatchful eye out for those evil darks that may attempt to ambush us.

I guess its just me, i don't know, all i know is, i miss my EQ =/

mrea
11-14-2004, 05:26 AM
It's not just you at all. If you were to ask everyone here, I bet most would say that pre-Luclin, EQ was at it's best. Thats why I love PEQ, I can selectively enable expansions, and I still don't think (when it's released) I'll install Luclin.

Slayden
11-14-2004, 05:32 AM
What is PEQ exactly, don't recall ever hearing of it.

mrea
11-14-2004, 05:35 AM
PEQ=ProjectEQ. They are the main world-building/database team. They have collected all of Classic and Kunark so if you were to set up a server like that it would be almost identical to live with only those expansions.

Slayden
11-14-2004, 05:39 AM
Very interesting, thank you

McFox666
11-14-2004, 07:44 AM
Slayden, so do I think... I REALY miss my pre-luclin EQ =(

mysticalninjajesus
11-14-2004, 08:54 AM
how come you think wow is more enjoyable than eq2? did you get in wow beta before you got eq2 so you have a higher level character on WoW so you spend more time there?

Slayden
11-14-2004, 02:54 PM
Well, when you experience EQ2 quite a bit, think about it, what all do you see? It's nothing extraordinary, the best thing EQ2 has going for them is their eye-candy graphics and voicing. Aside from that, what really makes them a better game than anything else?

The overall feel i get from playing WoW is generally better. Quests are not *required* for you to do to accomplish many things throughout your characters career, animations seem to be a bit smoother in wow. Wow's pvp servers also created that fear & doubt, something that tallonzek on EQLive originally created, but lost throughout the several new expansions that had been dished out.

I've also had a bit more fun playing WoW, finishing up a hard, long hunt in the mountains, a few friends and i met up at a local in, to sit in chairs, drink our booze by the fire, and talk the rest of the night away. The vibe set by these type of environments is truely enjoyable.

The graphics are generally easier on the eyes, and a hella lot less demanding. But these are only a few features that i mention, my reasoning ofcourse goes on, and so-forth.

mrea
11-14-2004, 03:01 PM
animations seem to be a bit smoother in wow.
They better be. The graphics for WoW suck as far as I am concerned. They look like they took the models from WarcraftIII and just made them larger...

mysticalninjajesus
11-14-2004, 03:10 PM
EQ2 has the superior engine.. WoW has the superior 3d artists. its true sadly.

mrea
11-14-2004, 03:13 PM
Eh, the WoW models suck imo. I feel EQ2 has the best of both, although I can't truly say because I haven't played WoW yet, but screenshots look 'dated' to say the least.

mysticalninjajesus
11-14-2004, 03:24 PM
you probly think the post-luclin models are better too because the old ones feel 'dated'. too you whatever has more polygons is going to be the superior model no doubt.

mrea
11-14-2004, 03:28 PM
No, I do prefer a lot of the older models to the newer ones (Iksar, Human, etc) but I'm saying the modellers for Blizzard didn't even try on WoW. I know they have talent because of how SC:Ghost is looking but well, yea, thats my position.

Scorpx725
11-14-2004, 03:56 PM
EQ1 Velious Roxd my sox.

I loved EQ classic at release, couldnt stop playing it. The game was just so much fun. It was groundshaking really, a world with other real players.

Raiding Naggy, Vox, Fear, Hate and Air. Emperor Crush and his invis guard, Qeynos was swarming with people, EC tunnel lagging like you were in a pool of molases on a cold day swimming up the side of a building. 120 People zerging nagafen for almost a good hour.

Inte's Sword of Death! 120/20 was it? Hitting for 200 - 600 dmg in classic was INSANE. You dont hit for 600 now, except for BSes and crits.

Then Kunark came about, quite a fun expansion in itself, new zones, new levels, new content. And most important.. the epics. Oh god the epics. People completing them, drooling at 100hp weapons, items with 20+ a stat.

Next was velious.. oh my god Velious. This expansion was so god damn good. 3 Factions, at war. Choose your side, you made your game then. Best of all... a fuckton of dragons. Dragons everywhere. Huge zones, AoW ripping people new ones. 200 people raids wiping on him cause you had 3 or 4k hp at most.

Then Luclin.. what a fucking disaster luclin was. The "LOL 7 models for the whole expansion". The "lets give mobs 1bazillion hp". SoE took over with Luclin, and the game went down hill ever since.

Then PoP. PoP was a fun expansion.. till the cockblocking in ele's and such started. Devs.. finish shit before releasing it. kthx.

The rest of the expansion I wont comment, except for GoD. Horrible in its released state, now not bad.

PvP! I remember me and 3 friends killing trolls in their swamp for about 3 hours, till some ubers came in and almost got us.. hiding in the troll swamp cause we were lost as all hell. Dear god that was fun. Now EQ PvP is so bad.

Ok well, Im done running my mouth, that was a fun trip down memory lane.

Edit-- Yes, I know Hate etc wasnt released till a bit after release.

Cisyouc
11-14-2004, 04:46 PM
On the contrary... I liked Luclin + PoP much better than Old World, Kunark and espically Velious. Also the luclin models...awesome.

'Course I didn't actually read the posts above this, I skimmed them.

m0oni9
11-14-2004, 05:01 PM
PvP! I remember me and 3 friends killing trolls in their swamp for about 3 hours, till some ubers came in and almost got us.. hiding in the troll swamp cause we were lost as all hell. Dear god that was fun. Now EQ PvP is so bad.
Some of my favorite EQ memories are from early on. Being level 4, standing outside Ak'anon, trying to fend off a level 8 wood elf PKer. Imagine a horde of newbie gnomes swarming him, chasing him back into the woods.

Aside from the content/gear changes, I really hated allowing character transfers. The abundance of no drop gear really messed with things, too. These are the main reasons I left EQ. PvP went from fun to vomit.

mysticalninjajesus
11-14-2004, 06:26 PM
yah moonie i would of quit if i only played on pvp servers too, kunark ruined tallon

cisyouc you said in another thread that you started playing eq while PoP was out.. so you dont get an opinion here sry:P

Then Kunark came about, quite a fun expansion in itself, new zones, new levels, new content. And most important.. the epics. Oh god the epics. People completing them, drooling at 100hp weapons, items with 20+ a stat.

i thought kunark was the shit, and getting my ragebringer is one of my fondest memories, but they definatly made some mistakes. epic weapons, a mistake. better xp zones, mistake. the uber drops.. mistake. verant thought it was a good idea at the time. why? well they thought epics were a good idea obviously because eq was suspoused to end with kunark and they didnt plan more expansions. so 'epic' quests would be a good idea. and better xp and drops than the mobs of same level on old wolrd zones, the idea was a far away dangerous land with rich's. but what was their reasoning for having weapons better than the GOD's drops on regular mobs.. no one knows!

SoE took over with Luclin, and the game went down hill ever since. 'SoE' didnt take over, mcquaid left took most of the original developers and then trost left and took the rest of the original team to work on eq2. who took over is the new EQlive team.

It was groundshaking really, a world with other real players.

lol.. i was already playing action quake 2 and counter strike beta and had some friends playing UO .. so to me, and most ppl, it wasnt that groundbreaking.. 'a world with outher real players' isnt where eq was really groundbreaking.. i had clan members in eq beta 4 and the way they talked about it and the storys they told.. thats what was groundbreaking about eq. theres so many reasons as too why eq is superior to what ever mmopvp or mmohacknslash out there, it would be impossible to explain why eq is better on a forum post..

ps velious was definatly the highlight of my eq experience :)

Cisyouc
11-14-2004, 06:46 PM
cisyouc you said in another thread that you started playing eq while PoP was out.. so you dont get an opinion here sry:PYeah, whats your point? I'm just saying that if I logged into an eq like you're describing, i'd log out. I like PoP/Luclin alot better. :D

arryeth
11-15-2004, 11:41 AM
I am disappointed at the fact that PVP is missing in EQ2. Sony has stated they left out PVP to focus on the main game being as good as it gets, and that maybe sometime, a PVP server would be created.

From what I hear, there is no /duel or arena type areas.

Slayden
11-15-2004, 11:04 PM
Yeah, whats your point? I'm just saying that if I logged into an eq like you're describing, i'd log out. I like PoP/Luclin alot better -Cisyouc

Thats part of my point in my original post, you only like it best in that age because it was your generation. New blood didnt experience the past, therefore don't care much for it.

Eh, the WoW models suck imo. I feel EQ2 has the best of both, although I can't truly say because I haven't played WoW yet, but screenshots look 'dated' to say the least.

You should try playing it, i've been in open beta since it first came out.

SoE took over with Luclin, and the game went down hill ever since.

/Agreed

Theres been ALOT of people posting requests for a classic EQLive server on the main boards, and suggestions like starting out with classic then releasing the original expansions in order following 1 every 6 months... Ofcourse SOE doesnt see it other than giving people a reason why they don't have to purchase an expansion, so the posts are deleted right off the bat. The last one i saw got up to 120+ replies before it was gone. :evil: Bastards.

I just wish there was a classic EQ server on Emu at work, that was striveing to be perfectly identical to the original world. Maybe even two versions of it, a pvp and a non pvp. Or just pvp ofcourse <3 :o . I'd actually pay for something like that, more than i'd pay for EQII or any other mmo.

I've made plans to do one myself, like i should instead of sitting here wishing, but when i can't even program this damn vcr in my room that keeps flashing 12am, how can i even hope program a server =P heh[/quote]

Cisyouc
11-16-2004, 02:16 AM
Well lets face it...game content would get boring after 6 years of kunark / velious... they had to release expansions because Sony sure as heck wasn't doing it free...would you have preferred 12? different continents of Norrath then? I mean....

mrea
11-16-2004, 02:48 AM
Slayden, you could just play on PEQ's server. They release expansions as they are made available.

Slayden
11-16-2004, 03:05 AM
mrea, i could, but i just don't want to relive luclin,loy,pop,ldon, blah blah blah.

Well lets face it...game content would get boring after 6 years of kunark / velious... they had to release expansions because Sony sure as heck wasn't doing it free...would you have preferred 12? different continents of Norrath then? I mean....

I do agree, after a few years of the same territory, things would get boring, a few years, not a mere few months of an expansion.
And I don't exactly play to see as much as possible, or have an endless journey. When velious came out I was in aw, everything was perfect about the came, it didnt need anything else. All i wanted to do was to explore every area like the back of my hand, and some day make it into one of the top remaining guilds that stuck loyal to non 4teaming, I wanted to help some day defeat the most powerful evil guild that seemed to always been one step ahead of the lights.

It was always my *newbie dream* to some day become the best paladin on the server, and to some day win in the BotB yearly tournament held by GM's.

During my playing times, it simply was not possible because of the expansions that were rushed out afterwards, after every single new expansion the top guilds had to boost their requirements for apps. Which indefinitly created an endless struggle. So as if it wasn't hard enough to get into the best guild, SOE also pumped in an endless amount gear that poured in through every single expansion. Meaning that it was impossible to get the best items, and there was no ultimate boss, or creature.
It was perfectly known that whatever existed now, would only be outdone in the next expansion, and the expansion after, and the expansion after that to keep you endlessly drawn to the game while they stretch out what was some of the best qualities of EQ, in the great bilbos words "like too little butter spread over a slice of bread" (did that come out right?)

Pvp (tallonzek's rule sets), Botb & ToT's yearly tournaments, and that little bit of high end was all that i needed. I would still be happy just playing with those.

mrea
11-16-2004, 03:15 AM
It'll be a while before Luclin and all those are out, they are just now building Velious.

Slayden
11-16-2004, 03:33 AM
It'll be a while before Luclin and all those are out, they are just now building Velious.

The point is, they will be out.

Cisyouc
11-16-2004, 07:32 AM
Slayden, you fail to see my point. As you were leveling and questing in Velious, im sure the top guilds would surely 'complete' the expansion before you. Eventually, if nothing new came out, these guilds would get bored and tire out.

Slayden
11-16-2004, 07:41 AM
Velious was is no simple expansion to complete, and even after the top dungeons have been defeated and farmed, There is still, and always would be pvp, and if the sleeper was involved in a more thurough quest, there would be countless attempts for his defeat.

I didnt miss your point, i've read your posts thuroughly, and i can say for one, i'd be damned happy without the expansions, for a very long time.

I know very well that things would dry out over long period, its inevitable, if SOE would have let varent continue with their style, then i would not have any room to complain whatso ever.

Cisyouc
11-16-2004, 08:27 AM
i'd be damned happy without the expansions, for a very long time.YOU would be, some wouldn't.

mysticalninjajesus
11-16-2004, 08:50 AM
cisyouc, yes they needed new content, NO the expansions they put out is not where eq should of gone. just because they needed new content didnt mean they had to ruin fundamental game design choices. they messed up. they even admit it.

if a server came out identical to pre-kunark era, it would easily have enough content for the next year or two. especially with eqemu's small population.

New blood didnt experience the past, therefore don't care much for it. they didnt experience it, therefore dont get the rights to an opinion as to which era was better

relorm500
11-16-2004, 12:27 PM
all i gatta say is

BlackThorn is the best game Blizzard ever made.

was for the Nintendo.

then Diablo2
then Diablo
then WoW
then Warcraft I
then Warcraft III
then Warcraft II

...so on so forth

mysticalninjajesus
11-16-2004, 03:30 PM
lmfao, agree.

even tho i never got passed the second level where your outside and its like raining or something.. that was the SHIT. remember climbing up the stairs and that big blue minotuar guy with the whip.. lol ubarleet

Killerlol
11-17-2004, 05:30 PM
I think, we all have the right to our opinions, new blood or not. I do think the expansions past luclin were well....they didn't have the Everquest feel. I thought the whole thing about end game raiders being the only "end game" players was well, ackward to say the least. Yes, classic Everquest had raiding, yet the gap was not so large that it meant you had say, 5K as a tank to, 9k with PoP. Everquest just didn't have the same feel when the orginal team left. The game got dry to me fast past PoP. You do one raid, you do them all it seems with a few exceptions. Say adds spawn or a different ammount of AEs but in the end it got bland. Welcome to Everzerg!

mysticalninjajesus
11-17-2004, 05:48 PM
so.. what are we gonna gonna do about it killer? bitch on forums the rest of our life?

Slayden
11-18-2004, 03:30 AM
Yes, classic Everquest had raiding, yet the gap was not so large that it meant you had say, 5K as a tank to, 9k with PoP.

*Classic* EverQuest is most often refered to as the original, before any expansions. Tanks with the best gear (including the first two original planes, hate & fear) pushed 2.5k max.

Kunark, 4k max
Velious, 5k max
Luclin, I'm not entirely sure, 6.5k max?
PoP, 10k max
all unbuffed.

I'm not trying to flame or anything, I'm just posting this out of pure boredom...
:( [/quote]

Killerlol
11-18-2004, 11:53 AM
so.. what are we gonna gonna do about it killer? bitch on forums the rest of our life? You can say that, but as Slayden wrote, it is somewhat the same for me. I'm just posting this out of pure boredom...

Cisyouc
11-18-2004, 03:23 PM
Make a server ^.^

Slayden
11-18-2004, 10:30 PM
Make a server ^.^

Cisyouc read the posts

I've made plans to do one myself, like i should instead of sitting here wishing, but when i can't even program this damn vcr in my room that keeps flashing 12am, how can i even hope program a server =P heh

ADHD?
:roll:
[/quote]

Cisyouc
11-19-2004, 01:01 AM
Make a server ^.^

Cisyouc read the posts

I've made plans to do one myself, like i should instead of sitting here wishing, but when i can't even program this damn vcr in my room that keeps flashing 12am, how can i even hope program a server =P heh

ADHD?
:roll:
With all the tutorials its a piece of cake really to run a server, you just have to get a dedicated host or else it will most probably be really laggy for others.

Slayden
11-19-2004, 08:15 AM
With all the tutorials its a piece of cake really to run a server, you just have to get a dedicated host or else it will most probably be really laggy for others.

I dunno, my programing, I believe, is equivilent as to that of a monkey, repididly beating on a keyboard.

Richardo
11-20-2004, 07:26 AM
just to state, me being a graphic artist myself.. just so you guys know...... eh, World of Warcraft, the graphics was created TO look like warcraft 3 and below, they were keeping their originality, and if you think about it, graphics dont mean anything if the game is fun. Whats better, a game that has awesome graphics and game itself sucks, or a game thats awesome with bad graphics.. It does'nt make sense to critise a game on its graphics whenever the game is accually a good game. And warcraft's graphics arnt even bad, its just their style is different from what you want.

World of Warcraft's graphics are meant to keep a (detailed) painted feeling to it, while maintaining its relism. It has a cartoonish look because if you have noticed, all Warcraft games had this look, and there is no compairison to WoWarcraft to Eq2 because they are completely different styles of 3d texturing and modeling. In my opinion, WoWarcraft is better graphic wise because they did a good job at their style. Look at eq2, they use SGI and they all look like plastic barbie dolls. Sony could have done better.... And if you ask me, WoWarcraft is 50x more stable than eq2, game wise.

KhaN
11-20-2004, 07:38 AM
When you speak about graphics, you have to consider two things :
- Graphic quality, in term of technicity (EQ2)
- Graphic quality, in term of identification (WoW)
Nowdays, its easy to make a game using the latest graphic technics, but its always way harder to give a visual identity to your game, and few games made it. For me, WoW is one of them.

Xorith
11-20-2004, 08:19 AM
Graphics mean nothing. My favorite type of game is the good ol' MUD. Graphics are just a bonus.

Asheron's Call 2... Good graphics. Sucky game play.
<insert well-designed MUD here> ... No graphics, fun for hours and hours and hours.