PDA

View Full Version : Project M, perhaps?

11-15-2004, 04:28 PM
I assume a few of you around here remember the short-lived "Project M" that went up on the EQLive Zek servers back in November of 2001.

Any possibility we might see support for this added to EQEmu? I'd imagine it would take some additions to the database (server ops would probably need the ability to define which zones and mob id numbers a player could spawn in/as), but it could be a heck of alot of fun.

Just a thought...

11-16-2004, 11:36 AM
I only got to play that a few times.. but it sure was hella-fun! That is definatly something worth looking into adding to the eqemu feature list

Subere

kathgar
11-17-2004, 02:42 AM
what? It almost sounds like you are talking about players being mobs kinda like they did on test way back when

Rogean
11-17-2004, 11:25 AM
No, That was on the Test server.

11-17-2004, 04:40 PM
Here are a couple quotes about it dating from that time...

From the November 7th, 2001 patch message:

** Project M Implemented **

Tonight we have patched something to the PvP servers that many players have been waiting for. The ability to play that gnoll, orc, or the cute and fuzzy rat. On your character select screen you will notice another button in the upper right part of your screen called "Monster". Clicking this button will randomly place you in a low-level NPC in a random zone. You will be given full control of the creature to do with it what you like. You may hunt and kill other creatures. You may even attack other players.

Some things to remember when playing your own personal monster (NPC).

-You will not be able to interact with players or NPC's other than moving and hitting attack.
-You cannot speak, trade, sell, or do anything else that a player can do.
-You will spawn with normal loot for the monster you are playing and Player Characters will be able to kill you for loot and experience.
-If you are a spell casting monster you might want to take a moment to memorize some spells.
-Once you die, you will return to the character select screen where you may choose to return as another NPC or play your normal character.
-You may gain experience, levels, and skills as this NPC, but once you die, it is all lost. You will need to start over the next time you choose to be a NPC character.
-You can't zone as a monster.
-Monster PCs (MPCs) can not loot, sell, or gain items. They only get what they start out with.

This ability to play a monster is being implemented for PvP servers only as we have no plans to implement non-consensual PvP on a non PvP server.

However, we are still working with this system. We may find other ways to implement Project M on the non-PvP servers that are acceptable. We aren't done looking at the possible uses of this new feature.

And later that day in the EQ Developers' Corner forum:

I thought I'd pop in and explain to you all why you can't play as monsters at the moment.

When the patch went long today (I'm very sorry about that) the servers came back up pretty much at prime time. We decided that it might not be the best thing in the world to turn on project M right after a patch and to coincide with prime time. We thought that all of those factors combined might be a little more than the PvP servers or their players could handle.

We'll turn it on some time soon. And I'm probably not going to announce it…

Alan

So there you have it. I never got a chance to try it out when it was up and running on Test, but it always sounded cool. To my knowledge, it never went live on the non-Test servers, though I'll admit that I could be wrong.

Xabob
11-17-2004, 05:36 PM
I tryed it it was ghey as hell u went around as a npc thats about it maybe get owned by a PC that was the sum of it

bbum
01-31-2005, 06:56 AM
it did come out on the zek's. it was awsome you could level up by killing other froglok tadpolls till you turn into a bigger froglok. er not frogloks, those little lizard things in innuthole. it was so easy to die though, the most entertaining part was attacking random higher lvls at a camp, get the group to chase you, then run away to the marsh bear cub, then watch them run away as the marsh bear cub chases them and kills half the group. i never got to kill any PC's myself. i didnt do it much cause i had a guild to be with on erollisi marr, but it was a really great idea for my newb friends to have some quick fun.

footfall99
01-31-2005, 04:51 PM
I personally doubt the devs will have the time to add this nor do I think many will have the interest because many rather have things like more aa's, fixing bugs, and many other things. If it were to go into Eqemu I think it would be low on the priority list. ( Or atleast mine =P )
-Footfall99

edit-grammar

Cisyouc
02-01-2005, 08:31 AM
This kind of thing is why EQEMu is opensource :)

Get a team to code it and host a server. :)