PDA

View Full Version : OpenEQ News 11/18/04

daeken_bb
11-18-2004, 11:11 AM
Well, after spending a lot of time designing Helios (the new MMORPG GXTi, Yodason, and myself were working on), we decided that we simply couldn't work together. There were far too many conflicts in the development team, by no fault of anyone in particular. So from there I wasn't really working on anything except random stuff.

So anyway. I recieved a PM from Windcatcher a bit ago telling me some stuff he's been working on (nothing that is planned for release to the public, so unless he plans on telling you guys about it, I'd prefer not to do so) and it inspired me to start work on OpenEQ again.

Here's what I have planned as for what I'm going to be working on in the next few days. The majority of this is just porting from C to C++ and changing the structure slightly.

1) Writing a file loader interface, that way we can load S3Ds (WLDs) and EQGs with the same class interface. This should clean up the source a lot, as well as make it easier to extent.
2) Porting the 3d engine over to C++ and making it use the new file loader structures.
3) Porting the octree code over and tying it in with the new file loader.

I've been quite busy between school and this "social life" thing, so I dunno how much time I can dedicate to the project, but I definitely want to start it again :)

Until later,
Happy Hacking,
Lord Daeken M. BlackBlade
(Cody Brocious)

a_Guest03
11-18-2004, 11:36 AM
You rule :lol:

This is my favorite new addition to the development area. It's good to hear that you didn't scrap it.

daeken_bb
11-18-2004, 12:14 PM
You rule :lol:

This is my favorite new addition to the development area. It's good to hear that you didn't scrap it.

I was kinda disappointed when we decided that it'd be best if we detached from EQ content. I had always envisioned being able to run around in EQ zones with friends without any sony code, and we may yet have that :)

KhaN
11-19-2004, 10:22 AM
So anyway. I recieved a PM from Windcatcher a bit ago telling me some stuff he's been working on (nothing that is planned for release to the public, so unless he plans on telling you guys about it, I'd prefer not to do so) and it inspired me to start work on OpenEQ again.
Look like WC found the person he was looking for :)
Beside Code, if you need any kind of help, i will be glad to help, i think like many here, i would love to see OpenEQ going live, hehe.

gxti
11-19-2004, 03:04 PM
I know I've kind of been in the background a bit, but I'm going to try and be of use this development cycle as well :) Not that I need to persuade Daeken to let me help or anything ;)