PDA

View Full Version : Behind the scenes of emulating online games

Brisco
12-19-2004, 09:59 AM
I'm just trying to understand the workings that go on with emulating online games like Everquest, Ultima Online and Ragnarok Online.....

So, basically it's just a lot of packet sniffing and in game research that goes into emulating (hence the word) games, and then trying to put all that data collected into your own original programming code that works similar to the real game? What about things like enemy AI, is that created from scratch?

You don't have any access to the server binaries or source code do you?

mattmeck
12-19-2004, 10:03 AM
I'm just trying to understand the workings that go on with emulating online games like Everquest, Ultima Online and Ragnarok Online.....

The working or the drama? ( joke )

So, basically it's just a lot of packet sniffing and in game research that goes into emulating (hence the word) games, and then trying to put all that data collected into your own original programming code that works similar to the real game?

exasctly

What about things like enemy AI, is that created from scratch?

there created from scratch again

You don't have any access to the server binaries or source code do you?

we wish, :lol:

Cisyouc
12-19-2004, 10:29 AM
we wishDo we? I have a feeling that EQEMu code is better than sony's code and look at how bugged eqemu is :P

mattmeck
12-19-2004, 10:32 AM
we wishDo we? I have a feeling that EQEMu code is better than sony's code and look at how bugged eqemu is :P

Yea but it would help a lot on patch days :shock: