PDA

View Full Version : Why do we have to patch ?

KillerGL
01-16-2005, 02:54 AM
I just read everywhere that patching make login impossible until the devs solve the problem, but why do we have to patch. Can we just not patch ?

mattmeck
01-16-2005, 03:26 AM
Because the EMU uses a patcheed version of EQ, just happens to be the patch before 12/15

Koshoji
01-16-2005, 10:46 AM
I'm curious, is it possible to undo a recent patch, say, by using System Restore on a WinXP machine? I just happened to play on 12/17, then recently came back to the forums and say I had just missed my chance to get my EQEMU up. Doh!

Anyway, is it possible to undo that recent patch in any way?

Thanks!

KillerGL
01-16-2005, 11:09 AM
Ok, then why it is so long for the devs to bypass this pacth ?

mattmeck
01-16-2005, 11:19 AM
I'm curious, is it possible to undo a recent patch, say, by using System Restore on a WinXP machine? I just happened to play on 12/17, then recently came back to the forums and say I had just missed my chance to get my EQEMU up. Doh!

Anyway, is it possible to undo that recent patch in any way?

Thanks!

System restore dose work sometimes, and all the other ways to do it are illegal

mattmeck
01-16-2005, 11:20 AM
Ok, then why it is so long for the devs to bypass this pacth ?

Because SOE changed a lot of stuff and the Devs do this in there free time out of the kindness of there hearts for no pay and they have school / jobs / family.

Want it done faster? hope onto SF and dig into the code and help fix it.

dragonflz
01-16-2005, 11:20 AM
Let's see, could it be that they are NOT being paid, and that maybe they have a life...

ActionAlligator
01-16-2005, 01:16 PM
Um, I know this is gonna sound newbish, but how do I get into system restore and undo a patch? Or if the other "illegal" ways are easier, I wouldn't mind hearing them too. Thanks.

Aradorn
01-16-2005, 01:20 PM
what operating system do you have

mattmeck
01-16-2005, 01:49 PM
Um, I know this is gonna sound newbish, but how do I get into system restore and undo a patch? Or if the other "illegal" ways are easier, I wouldn't mind hearing them too. Thanks.

Asking for warez here or talking about the illegal stuff is bannable this is the one and only warning

Koshoji
01-16-2005, 02:48 PM
Nice! Thanks Mattmeck. I'm going to give it a shot and roll the dice.
Wish me luck...

KillerGL
01-17-2005, 08:09 AM
Because SOE changed a lot of stuff and the Devs do this in there free time out of the kindness of there hearts for no pay and they have school / jobs / family.

Want it done faster? hope onto SF and dig into the code and help fix it.

Let's see, could it be that they are NOT being paid, and that maybe they have a life...

Hey ! Calm down ! I was just asking WHY it is that long, and not "why thoses stupids devs don't do it faster" (don't make the error to say that i said that devs were stupid, that is an exemple ok). Twas a question like another. Are you always like that ? I'm sorry if i maked someone cry, twas not my intention.

Let's reformulate my question : for what technic reason the works is so long ?

Ok, no one has the sudden desire to flame me to dead. For me its ok, i perdon you :)

Koshoji
01-17-2005, 10:00 AM
Mattmeck, thank you SO MUCH!!! Using system restore worked for me! I got on for the first time last night and was up until 1:30 in the morning playing it hehe. It was wierd though to see so many zones with no mobs anywhere, and the buildings without doors in those mobless zones. Is that normal? What ever, I don't care atm as long as I can get it running :) I'm one happy gamer now!

Hey Action Aligator, in Windows XP, and in ME too I believe, System Restore can be found in Start--Programs--Accessories--System Tools. It did screw up a few other projects I'd recently been working with but it was well worth it. Good luck to you.

-K

KillerGL
01-17-2005, 01:33 PM
I come back to my first question, almost. So my new question is :

If i pacth it a first time when i install it, but the team success to make it work. I can play for a while. But if a new patch comes (and i dont play on official servers), am i obligated to patch it or i can keep it like this ?

Thanks.

Jett
01-18-2005, 02:05 PM
Answer: Dont patch.

Extended Answer: Leave your emu as is untill the devs release a new server version, and your main server switches to it, just because there is a new release doesnt mean patch, because you may lose your favorite server if they are an older version.

Work for you?

KillerGL
01-18-2005, 03:04 PM
So if i install it friday (ill recieve my new computer ya!), can i just not follow what the tutorial say and just dont patch the game before starting it ?

mattmeck
01-18-2005, 03:38 PM
No, at this time new users have toi wait to play.

Raggnarokh
01-18-2005, 11:46 PM
i knew there was something worng...
i didnt know that ...
well that explains all my problems to play Eq...

Raggnarokh <--- not a smart one :P

Have a nice day guys =)

TOAB
01-19-2005, 08:48 AM
Hmm, sorry for hijacking the thread.

If I were to start my own server for me and a few friends, is there anyway to setup a server to run a fresh install of an everquest release? An example, incase I'm not making sense, would be installing EQ Trilogy. Is there a server release I could setup and run over a lan to host it?

Aradorn
01-19-2005, 08:52 AM
no have to wait till emulater is up to date with live

TOAB
01-19-2005, 09:08 AM
...well im just trying to get around having to patch anything. :(

filelor
01-19-2005, 10:04 AM
bad news... dont hold me to it but i think another new patch is up as of today .. . it looks like a long one.. cood be that last time me eq didnt patch big about a week ago... who knows but just a heads up

ActionAlligator
01-20-2005, 06:50 PM
Ermmmmmm? Sorry Mattmeck....Can someone explain to me though, exactly why uninstalling a patch in a certain way is illegal though? It just doesn't make sense to me...I hope this question isn't bannable too. Anyways, I use Windows 98. So System Restore is kinda like loading a previous registry? Am I right?

Erm, BTW, I recognize that name Aradorn. I knew some guy on Jedi Academy named that.....hehe......guess it's a popular name.....

Tyralen
01-21-2005, 12:05 AM
whats illegal is distributing old patches because its considered warez.

mattmeck
01-21-2005, 06:00 AM
your not uninstalling a patch, your replacing copywrited files with other copywrited files, which is illegal because SOE dont give out the older files so you will have to get them from someone who dont have there permition to hand them out

ActionAlligator
01-21-2005, 08:02 AM
Oh ok. I think I get it. Sorry, I had no idea that was asking for warez.

Quote: "Anyways, I use Windows 98. So System Restore is kinda like loading a previous registry? Am I right?"

^--So Can anyone answer that question? I mean, I've gotten a few stuff on my comp since I've updated EQLive quite awhile ago I'm pretty sure. I just don't want system restore to wipe all of it out. Or does it just delete the actual "history" of me doing this stuff? Can someone help pls? Thanks.

Aradorn
01-21-2005, 07:40 PM
i think restore only removes the registry settings you have changed from now and restores it to the date you pick

ActionAlligator
01-22-2005, 12:46 PM
Well......doesn't it keep a copy of like 5 successful start ups only? So if it was longer than 5 days ago, I can't restore it right?

Cisyouc
01-22-2005, 01:08 PM
i think restore only removes the registry settings you have changed from now and restores it to the date you pick
No thats not true at all, EQ doesnt use the registry (thats why you can get a patcher exe only and dl the entire game). System Restore uses the secret logs and saved data and junk that microsoft keeps :(

MrJag
01-23-2005, 04:31 PM
is EMU current to live atm ? its been a while for me

mattmeck
01-23-2005, 05:47 PM
this is just a guess but the big banner at the top of the forums says

DO NOT PATCH - Latest EQ Patch Breaks EQEmulator.

So i think were not current with live.

ActionAlligator
01-29-2005, 02:01 PM
Lol......WHOO! THE AGE OLD MYSTERY HAS BEEN SOLVED!!!!!

Erebus
02-04-2005, 02:30 AM
Just a quick question, albeit a little bit of a newbish one.. I have 2 versions of EQ on my computer..the one I play on Live servers with, and one from back when I beta-tested OoW. The OoW one hasnt been patched from the live servers for months...being brand new to the EQEmu scene , would I be able to play / set up a server by using that one? Thanks for any help offered

vladimir
02-05-2005, 12:46 PM
It really depends. How old is your version? The last patch needed is the one before 12/15/04. Since the 12/15/04 one, EQEmu has been trying to catch up to EQLive, but I'm not sure exactly when the last working patch came out.

RangerDown
02-05-2005, 12:54 PM
Only way to know for sure is point the eqhost.txt to eqemu servers and try to connect to a server.