PDA

View Full Version : Why?

Encerablu
02-03-2005, 06:36 AM
I have a quick question for the developer's of eqemulator...No disrespect for what you do not looking to get flamed for asking this if theres a reason why....But why do you guys try to keep up with live? why wouldnt you just stop running off EQ live's patcher and just keep eqemu to its own game? I dont think missing a expansion is gunna hurt anyone, can always make the items that come out in live and put them on your server if you want them that bad, Just looking for an answer because copying files and such dosnt seem to be working for me and i have a guild on live i cant abandon it to sit on emulator =[ < not saying i dont wanna play emu, i want to play both>

RangerDown
02-03-2005, 06:51 AM
If we froze on a single copy of the client for any significant length of time, only those who happened to have that copy and hadn't patched to a newer version could play. Newcomers are likely to already either be patched to the latest version, or be patched to a version that's too old. Occasionally an existing player may lose the files from his hard drive. In either case, for legal reasons, EQEmu cannot assist with getting those files back. Over time, our playerbase thins out to nothing.

Each expansion adds new features too, which require a newly patched client to take advantage of. Imagine if we froze the client to today's version. Dragons of Norrath is coming out in two weeks... how long will it be before people here are screaming for all the good stuff from DoN to be implemented, only to be told it ain't happening because we're stuck on a pre-expansion client.

So you wanna play eqemu and you wanna play eqlive? Nobody is forcing you to keep just one EQ folder. Copy your eqemu folder and have two folders.

Encerablu
02-03-2005, 06:53 AM
So all i halfto do is copy the whole EQ folder and make a separate one eh? and then set the file on the shortcut to that folder? or

RangerDown
02-03-2005, 08:37 AM
Designate one folder for your eqlive use, and another for eqemu use. Since I neither know what your existing folder path is, nor what you copy to, I won't try to tell you exactly how your shortcut is to be setup. What follows is merely a guideline.

Your eqlive folder can be patched as often as needed to play on Sony servers. Run "C:\path\to\your\eqlive\folder\everquest.exe" to play eqlive.

Your eqemu folder should never be patched unless the dev team says the server code is now compatible with live. You should run
"C:\path\to\your\eqemu\folder\eqgame.exe" patchme to bypass the patcher and start the game.

Davie420
02-03-2005, 09:16 AM
Since its sorta on topic, How long is going to be until the EMU is back up to date with eqlive? I havent played on the emu for a while now, and im 'newly' patched up and unable to log onto the emu.

mattmeck
02-03-2005, 09:24 AM
new expancion in 2 weeks, many many patches after that for bug fixes and sutch......... dont hold your breath waiting IMO

bbum
02-03-2005, 09:39 AM
Asking how long it will be till were current with live will result in a 48 hour ban

stop slacking and give davie his well earned 48 hour ban.

Davie420
02-05-2005, 04:53 PM
hater.....

Shadow-Wolf
02-06-2005, 09:13 AM
stop slacking and give davie his well earned 48 hour ban.

I dont know what you think gives you the right to say matt is slacking or that davie should get a 48 hour ban, YOU should still be banned.

bbum
02-06-2005, 10:31 AM
i wasnt aware i needed to obtain some 'right' too inform a mod of someone breaking the rules. maybe they need to add that too the rules so i dont mess up again? no mentioning when ppl break rules unless you are given the right too first. the board will truely be a better place thanks too this great idea shadow-wolf.

mattmeck
02-06-2005, 11:04 AM
No Flames/Attacks
-Attack the point, not the poster. Flaming/Bashing/Trolling/Shitcockery is not allowed. Directly Flaming/Insulting a forum user will result in a Warning, or Ban depending on Severity and how evil the moderator is feeling.

Stay On-Topic
-Don't "DeRail" threads. Post in reply to the topic, not about your shiney new car, or your new girlfriend.

your both wrong nuff sayd