PDA

View Full Version : EQEmu Wiki

KhaN
03-22-2005, 10:14 PM
Tutorial forums are nice, but what about an EQEmu wiki ? It would be a good way to make an EQEmu documentation, and would for sure, make EQEmu more accessible for newcomers.
Also, when will website be fixed ? Yes i know, EQEmu is an EQ Emulation, devs dont give a shit about what people are saying, and it take 1 year to fix broken stuff, like SOE is doing ;p

If atm, no one is willing to do this job, i volunter ...

Xiao
03-23-2005, 06:26 AM
Wiki? Isn't that like Wikipedia or something? *uneducated*

Belfedia
03-23-2005, 07:17 AM
Too easy :

http://wiki.org/wiki.cgi?WhatIsWiki

And good idea Khan :)

Cisyouc
03-23-2005, 08:08 AM
Tutorial forums are nice, but what about an EQEmu wiki ? It would be a good way to make an EQEmu documentation, and would for sure, make EQEmu more accessible for newcomers.Things change with EQEMu and setup that having a wiki wouldnt make things any easier or worse, imo.
Also, when will website be fixed ? Ask RogeanYes i know, EQEmu is an EQ Emulation, devs dont give a shit about what people are saying, I disagreeand it take 1 year to fix broken stuff, like SOE is doing ;pOkay, take the 0.6.0 source and get it up to live yourself, then.

RangerDown
03-23-2005, 08:48 AM
I'd be in favor of using something other than the messageboard system for howto's. What we're using the tutorial section for wasn't the forum software's design. The fact that eqemu changes and needs changes to the documentation isn't what I have a problem with -- that either will or won't be taken care of, regardless of how we handle tutorials. What I feel is that it would be best that old/outdated information is completely edited or removed from the documentation system -- not just have another tutorial added to it. Then you end up with a haystack of out-of-date or no-longer-relevant tutorials along with a few needles of useful tutorials.

As for the website, it's had problems and broken links for quite some time now. Most of them are caused by the links still pointing to phpbb paths when we've changed forum software. As this is a free project and worked on as time permits, I'm not going to criticize Rogean or anyone else for the website's current state. However, it seems we're in a rut where Rog doesn't have time to fix it, but will not allow anyone else to fix it either. Rogean, I'm sure you're busy as hell, and you may or may not be as motivated to work on this as you once were, only you can answer that. But if you feel that lately you have a lack of either time or willpower, please at least be willing to delegate some tasks to others.

I couldn't disagree more with the notion that the devs don't give a shit what people are saying. If you feel there are areas they could be more open with, say so. But if your reason was only that something was suggested and a month later wasn't implemented, that's rather petty. This new client has been a doozy and has left little time for coders to do anything else.

Perhaps the root of the problem is that we expect the "other stuff" to be taken care of by these coders too. Let somebody who doesn't know a lick of C++ take care of that stuff :D As for a documentation revamp, if you want to oversee one and the team ultimately decides to go that direction after considering its pros and cons, then I'd be in favor of you doing so.

Cailin
03-23-2005, 10:34 AM
I personally love the idea of a wiki. I think that a wiki of any kind is easily the best kind of use for the Internet; it's a library that anyone can contribute to. And it seems to be working out just fine for sites like Wikipedia. I'm sure it could work for the EQEmu community, too.

Also, in terms of wiki software, I suggest MediaWiki (http://wikipedia.sourceforge.net/).

Virus11
03-23-2005, 01:26 PM
I'm always open to do any meaningless task the developers want to throw at me.

Belfedia
03-29-2005, 10:20 AM
No more answer for this kindly idea ?
I think docs revamps and link update can help much newbie
And Stop many post who ask the same thing...
In wiki or other ? but wiki is easy for make upgradable docs !!!

kawika
03-29-2005, 11:54 AM
Being new to the community and EQEmu, I was very confused when it came to setting up my server. Looking through the forums for HOWTO's and such was easy enough, but checking the dates on them and comparing the accuracy consistency of each post was on hell of a chore.

I'd be willing to help with the website fixes and such, I'd be about as useless as a two-legged dog when it came to writing a tutorial though.

KhaN
03-29-2005, 10:26 PM
No more answer for this kindly idea ?
I think docs revamps and link update can help much newbie
And Stop many post who ask the same thing...

Hi, and welcome on EQEmu~

Tolapumj
04-07-2005, 06:55 AM
Wiki...what does star wars have to do with eqemu?

Belfedia
04-12-2005, 04:45 AM
Yes i know, EQEmu is an EQ Emulation, devs dont give a shit about what people are saying,

I disagree

I agree with Khan, since 03/23/2005 (it is 04/12/2005), no devs answer to this... And newb ask same and same question, because don't have just one index page site up to date...

Cisyouc
04-12-2005, 07:02 AM
I agree with Khan, since 03/23/2005 (it is 04/12/2005), no devs answer to this... And newb ask same and same question, because don't have just one index page site up to date...If they didnt "give a shit about what people are saying", live wouldnt be close to done.

Also, the person who is supposed to be working on the site, hasn't been. The devs are doing something about it afaik, but, they've been too busy working on getting up to live....thought people would appreciate that a little more.

KhaN
04-12-2005, 07:19 AM
Well i should maybe modify my sentence, Doodman and FNW, the 2 only real devs left, give a shit, but all the others ghost dev, doesnt really give a shit about it.

Like always Cis, you are idiot and mixing everything, of course, we dont ask Doodman or FNW to make the website, check forum, add new features to eqemu to make it enjoyable, its alreay a miracle that with just both of them, EQEmu is still alive (And just for this, they should have respect from everyone here). We are just saying that some people that want to devote their time and have the skills could maybe give a hand to eqemu, and im sure there some around there.

Cisyouc
04-12-2005, 09:19 AM
Well i should maybe modify my sentence, Doodman and FNW, the 2 only real devs left, give a shit, but all the others ghost dev, doesnt really give a shit about it.Thats not entirely true...

We are just saying that some people that want to devote their time and have the skills could maybe give a hand to eqemu, and im sure there some around there.Thats certainly not the way you worded it the first time.

RangerDown
04-12-2005, 10:51 AM
And with that, Cis makes her 1000th post :D

I agree that there could be a crapload of things we could do with this site to make it more intuitive to newcomers. But I think the first thing we can do to attract them is... get a set of server code up that they can even PLAY on. I'm sure if a count were being kept, we've probably turned away over 100 would-be players because they don't have the client we're using.

Any major additions to the website like the mediawiki software you're proposing would require all the admins including our "2 active devs" getting together to decide the how, whats, whens and whys -- and that would take precious time away from their efforts to go live compatible and solve problem #1.

Ghost Fire
04-12-2005, 12:02 PM
Ok I'm new :mrgreen: I love the way the site is set up. I found most of the bugs that I was having to get the emulator to work and fixed it. Seach (http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/search.php?) is such a great tool ;) Great Emulator!!! Devs keep up the wonderful work.

yyewman
04-27-2005, 02:02 PM
I agree with Khan, since 03/23/2005 (it is 04/12/2005), no devs answer to this... And newb ask same and same question, because don't have just one index page site up to date...

Kelly Flock, ex-CEO for VI before Sony bought'em out, he stepped down sometime a year after he made this quote..........

"When asked if he takes into account consumer input Flock is dismissive, relying instead on the expertise of his staff. 'No, we never talk to consumers - they just f--- us up. Someone asked for a copy of our market research which made us take the decision to do EverQuest. I said we hadn't done any market research. Had we done, the game would never have been made. We never focus on them. Gamers don't know what they want. We just want to know if they have a valid credit card."

It appears even Blizzard who created WoW is doing the same thing now, a editorial on this is found here....

http://archive.gamespy.com/mmog/stratics/september01/stratics15/

I agree as I am seeing the same thing happening now with the nerfs in WoW.

I quit after all the nerfs took place, WoW is no longer fun anymore.

Yiz

Windcatcher
04-27-2005, 05:41 PM
Wow, talk about a blast from the past. I remember reading about Flock on Lum (Lum the Mad's site for the newbies). I thought someone had said that Sony had placed him there after the buyout, and that he was never happy there. Rumor had it that he had a reputation for dressing down SOE employees in front of everyone and generally being rude and overbearing (and refusing to let problems become known to any of his superiors--preventing them from being fixed). I remember reading on Lum that things got *really* ugly at SOE for a while as a result. I don't know how true any of this is, though...the people reporting at the time said they had a mole at SOE, but I recommend taking it with a grain of salt.

RangerDown
04-28-2005, 02:44 AM
I presume that he has since then been summarily dismissed...??

fathernitwit
05-16-2005, 08:06 AM
Hey,

I have a great idea.
We should have a Wiki for eqemu, to replace all the crap in the tutorial section.

Anyhow, Doodman and I finally decided we wanted to make this happen. I need to hear suggestions and serious pros/cons of wiki software, and I will get this rolling. Due to the ammount of children we have running around eqemu, security is a major consideration, as well as history keeping. If some 10 year old fuckwad that thinks hes a hacker comes along and deletes shit, we need to be able to revert it easily. I would expecially like something which allows people to subscribe to all or part of the wiki for changes so we get notified when things are changed.

Also, I would like something with reasonable markup or a good editor, cause wikimedia's markup and editor blow.

Belfedia
05-16-2005, 10:45 AM
Yeahhh i'm happy to ear that, fathernitwith
Khan ? where are you ? we need you :p

KhaN
05-16-2005, 02:35 PM
Thread created : 03-23-2005, 11:14 AM

Today : Yeahhh i'm happy to ear that, fathernitwith
Khan ? where are you ? we need you

Like always, EQEmu is months late, i have no more interest in anything related to EQEmu atm, two months ago, yes, i would have take time to setup an EQEmu wiki, well, i already started to make one, registered a host and such, but it never came out because no one was having interest in what "non-dev" can do to help EQemu with.

Im still having an eye on EQEmu and will prolly still works on OZ from time to time, but other than this, dont count a lot on KhaN ;p Maybe i'll continu what i started if one day an stable DR version come out, but looking EQEmu is broke again, i'll consider EQEmu dead since no DR version was released in the past 6 months :)

Cailin
05-17-2005, 10:11 AM
May I be the first to suggest an alternative to MediaWiki: http://wikka.jsnx.com/HomePage

It's called... Wikka Wiki, and it seems to fit just about everything that you want the wiki to do. Security is available et all. Don't know about the editing part of it, though, it seems to use standard Wiki notation, which is all a bunch of garblegook anyways. But it's easy to pick up on, I promise ;)