PDA

View Full Version : Dark Horizons Server (Legends) By the Original Creators of LotR

Richardo
04-04-2005, 12:36 AM
We are currently looking for new members on our team! If you are interested, do not PM me, post on our Forums under "Jobs" section but be sure to read the jobs section listing on what we need before posting... Dark Horizon Forums (Http://dh.invisionplus.net)

Dark Horizons is a PvP Point-Based Server by the original Lord of the Rings Crew of Cofruben, Richardo, and Faydra. DH is based on the dawn of war in which wages between the Alliance and the Rebellion. For those of you whom enjoyed GuildWars and Rogeans RaidAddicts, this server holds many of the same aspects from point based armor purchasing to the PK-Point System. The server is approximately 75% near completion and ever day is put together peice by peice, mostly all that is needed is spawning, loot tables, and quests, all code is complete. No ETA although we are hoping on completion by the end of this month or a week into the next month. Our website is under-construction now but we will keep you updated and also we have no forums.

Features of Interest

Guards> You can purchase guards points that follow and protect you, also zoning with you. Also in several zones you may found "lost" or "imprisoned" npc's that you can take with you via quest and he/she will protect you.

Points System> There are 2 different types of points. The first points are normal kill points which are gained by killing normal npc's, these points are used for buying tickets into experience and loot bonus zones and also you can use normal points for purchasing guards. The second points are "special" points which are gained from either from PKing(Player Killing) someone or killing a "boss" npc. Special points are harder to get but are well worth it for the items you can get are very valuable.

Zone Tickets> You can purchase Zone Tickets which specify an amount of time depending on which ticket you get that allow you to zone into special zones with either experience or loot bonuses. The tickets put you on a timer though, so once your timer is up, you are translocated to nexus.

Balancement> From our past experiences we have learned quite a few techniques of balancing equipment statistics and balancing the challenge between characters even if one character has more equipment. We plan to set pvp more based on the skill of the player more than how much more "uber" he/she is than the other.

Events> GM Events will be frequent but they will be "pre-set" before they take place. For example in everquest live, when gm's do the Halloween
event they load a "template" as if, which spawns npc's that roam all over the zone with drops etc... We will use simular tactics for several zones to keep everything more organized and fare for all players to participate. And also this way it allows "all" gm's to host their own events and it helps to keep guide and gm interest and have better play-time by guides and gm's.

Quests> Quests will be supplied for "all" level ranges and there will never be nothing to do. We have taken the ideas of WoW to concentrate on leveling while you quest so that when you are questing you do not have to worry about getting left behind.

Ring Events>In "every"experience/raid zone there are Ring Event(s) for Boss Npc(s) for low levels and high to keep some challenge for everyone.

Teams> There are 2 teams inwhich everyone is forced to choose, The Alliance or The Rebellion. You can convert from one side to another via faction but you have to earn your way to change by quests, etc...

PvP> Your pvp flag does not turn on untill you reach level 35. You can not attack your own teamates and you do not get points for someone who is 5 levels below you.

Leveling> Max level is level 60 and leveling goes swiftly untill you reach level 50, it gets very difficult.

Pets> All Pet Class Pets have been revamped and customized.

Custom Zones> We have customized zones compiled via OpenZone as you see below a shot of Richardo playing with his shaman guard in Sunset Home.

http://www.richardo.info/SR1.bmp

NEW PICTURES!

http://www.richardo.info/reb1.png

http://www.richardo.info/reb2.png

http://www.richardo.info/reb3.png

http://www.richardo.info/ally.png

http://www.richardo.info/ally2.png

And there are more features that will be revealed in beta, such as our "steed/horse" system.

Update: Also, the irc channel for DH is #DarkHorizons, although I will not be in there, you can still get useful information from Richardo and Cofruben :p

Website and Forums are up!

Dark Horizons (www.darkhorizons.cjb.net)
Dark Horizons Forums (http://dh.invisionplus.net)

KhaN
04-04-2005, 03:26 AM
I already have seen this zone somewhere ... but where humm ...

Cant wait to kick your asses rich~

Richardo
04-04-2005, 04:00 AM
die khan :p

cofruben
04-04-2005, 04:18 AM
lol khan :)

sysadmin
04-04-2005, 04:33 AM
I hope you guys do great.

DrPlump
04-04-2005, 04:38 AM
This Looks Awsome Im So Going To Play!

RangerDown
04-04-2005, 05:27 AM
Sounds like a good vision for a ruleset, and from a team that has a good deal of experience with the emu community. I wish it the best.

Apocalyptica
04-04-2005, 09:02 AM
Very interested in this project, especially since the GuildWars fiasco it's incredible to see some ACTUAL thought put into CUSTOM content <3... GW Oasis for example = WTF. Custom zones are incredible, I love the 2 teams system, and a ruleset that emphasizes actual player killing for pkp instead of holding cities for pkp...

One of my only concerns is balanced raid content, with bugs and exploits taken care of during beta. You've all assured me that class balancing will certainly not be an issue, and I'm very excited to hear that. I bring up my issue with raids, as I hope the gear-gap doesn't become unmanageable, and although geared players should have an advantage due to more effort put into progressing their characters, they shouldn't have a own-you-in-the-face free card... Also edited pets to better suit PvP is interesting as well.

I'm also somewhat concerned about the population numbers and the thinning of numbers across zones. Many a time being on, even at peak hours, left me looking for PvP. I hope tactics such as spire camping are no longer needed since PvP should just happen spontaneously and people should be kept busy enough (whether via your quest system or other not TOO monotonous ways of leveling) to not choose willingly to sit at a spire and kill out of boredom.

If this project turns out to be half of my expectations it will be incredible. I hope I could serve as a good source of feedback / one of the more dedicated players that aren't involved directly as a ServerOp or GM. Can't wait for the Open Beta? / Release of the server.

-Apocalypse / Thewang / Whatever other name I find fitting to use between now and release date.

mattmeck
04-04-2005, 10:29 AM
Good to hear its getting close to open, you people have been working hard!!

By the way... Can I be a GM??? Im l33t and know ALL the commands!!!~

/me runs away and hides

Cisyouc
04-04-2005, 10:36 AM
By the way... Can I be a GM??? Im l33t and know ALL the commands!!!~OMGZ0RZ but I kN0w PErL! waht does if($txet =~ /i/april/) mean hmm!? ya thats what i thoght!! hir meh ill be t3h gr34t3s7 Gm ev3r!!!!

Virus11
04-04-2005, 11:38 AM
I Can Be A Good GM Too. I Can Make Cool Events For Everyone To Have Fun With. Also I Know All Of The Commands And I Am Not A Newbie.

*giggles*

External
04-05-2005, 01:49 AM
This server is awesome ive been on the tour and can tell you it will rock your EQ world.

Richardo
04-05-2005, 05:48 AM
Thank you for your input everyone, and nice perl code Cisyouc, that made me laugh :p

Cisyouc
04-05-2005, 06:45 AM
Thank you for your input everyone, and nice perl code Cisyouc, that made me laugh :pYoo c4n yoose it 2 jus put #L33ts4uc3 by CISYOUC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 4bov3 it kk

Richardo
04-05-2005, 09:49 AM
sure no prob Cissy

Belfedia
04-05-2005, 12:43 PM
Nice server and nice work. I like this new zone design and new features, many great all :)
Just a question ? Why this server is legend ? and only this ?

Cisyouc
04-05-2005, 01:49 PM
Nice server and nice work. I like this new zone design and new features, many great all :)
Just a question ? Why this server is legend ? and only this ?Because Cofruben, a developer, is on the staff.

killspree
04-05-2005, 02:48 PM
So then shouldn't PEQ be listed as legends too?

D0rkforEq
04-06-2005, 02:06 AM
+1 for Cisyouc and mattmeck for their leet speak :D.

Richardo
04-06-2005, 06:47 AM
So then shouldn't PEQ be listed as legends too?

They could if they wanted to but I dont think they care enough...

RangerDown
04-06-2005, 06:51 AM
PEQ is primarily a development/testing server for its database releases and second a gameplay server. Green is just fine for what our server does.

Richardo
04-06-2005, 07:08 AM
PEQ is primarily a development/testing server for its database releases and second a gameplay server. Green is just fine for what our server does.

That was my next point also, Green, Legends, Regular Title, really does not mean a thing. Look at GuildWars (while it was up)... Very good server, although not managed well... It had a expert coder, and a good database guy with good ideas, and it was also only a green server.... It doesn't matter what "color" the server is, I remember when I first started Lord of the Rings and I earned my first green title, it was because I kept my server up with a constant amount of players and because of this quality I was upgraded but even when I wasn't green, I had a nice playerbase which was all that mattered.. I didn't need a green title to have people enjoy the server that I had invested my time and work into... The bottom point is, all the titles are good for, is advertisement.. thats about it...

Virus11
04-06-2005, 07:18 AM
Circle of Elements had a green name, but it was on the old loginserver so it meant shit.

KhaN
04-06-2005, 07:34 AM
That was my next point also, Green, Legends, Regular Title, really does not mean a thing.
Then be a man, do what you say, and get a white tag for Dark Horizon :p

killspree
04-06-2005, 08:26 AM
Don't take my question the wrong way - I wasn't meaning to insult anyone. I was simply asking a question in response to Cisyouc's post because I know a developer works on the PEQ project, and took the post to mean developer servers will generally be yellow.

Richardo
04-06-2005, 04:04 PM
Then be a man, do what you say, and get a white tag for Dark Horizon :p

I said tags were good for advertisement so thats what it is used for :p

and I know killspree, just felt I was useful to explain something for once haha

xeni
04-09-2005, 06:53 AM
still lock ? when it is open ? - )

cofruben
04-09-2005, 12:28 PM
it's 80% completed...maybe in two weeks

Tree
04-09-2005, 04:11 PM
T I remember when I first started Lord of the Rings and I earned my first green title, it was because I kept my server up with a constant amount of players and because of this quality I was upgraded but even when I wasn't green, I had a nice playerbase which was all that mattered.. I didn't need a green title to have people enjoy the server that I had invested my time and work into...
If only they knew you just begged rogean and cut a deal with him in the RA-LOTR merger that never happend, and thats how u got into greenage... oh wait... i guess they know now... arent i a lil bastard?
much plutonic <3 to rich

Richardo
04-10-2005, 08:05 AM
uhm, ranger lol... Lord of the Rings got green title before I started working with Rogean....

Shoplifta
04-10-2005, 09:57 AM
best server of all time imo

Tree
04-10-2005, 01:43 PM
uhm, ranger lol... Lord of the Rings got green title before I started working with Rogean....
only a day before tho =P

Richardo
04-13-2005, 04:38 AM
only a day before tho =P

While I got green server access, I really never knew rogean well... It wasn't untill LoTR 2 that I started talking to him...

cofruben
04-13-2005, 06:46 PM
one question...does it really matter how/when lotr got green flag? I can't get the point of your arguments...is it that important for you?

KhaN
04-13-2005, 10:21 PM
Oh no ... for godsakes dont say us how Richardo got GreenTag from Rogean, we REALLY dont want to know !

cofruben
04-27-2005, 07:22 AM
beta begins on 29th! join our #darkhorizons channel for more information.

Sakrateri
04-27-2005, 07:40 AM
When does FatesDestiny get its green tag ?? :(

RangerDown
04-27-2005, 08:15 AM
When does FatesDestiny get its green tag ??

If the person currently in charge of assigning loginserver accounts is who I think it is.... all I have to say is, don't hold your breath.

Sakrateri
04-27-2005, 08:23 AM
Why's that? Did I personally do something to him/her or is he/she just that way?

RangerDown
04-27-2005, 08:45 AM
Nothing against you personally. He's just mostly inactive.

Belfedia
04-28-2005, 02:51 AM
Bahh !!!
I see in green tag, server unknow and not always UP :p
He is active for that :p
Whynot FatesDestiny can't have this tag ? :p
I don't know...

Caboose57
05-07-2005, 09:50 AM
When is the server suppose to go live? any ETA?

Rogean
05-09-2005, 02:50 AM
Mostly inactive eh? :(

That may be changing soon though. =)

Caboose57
05-14-2005, 10:42 AM
Wasnt it due to be a week before may or a week at most after may? May 14th today *shrug* Im just impatient I guess...

Richardo
05-24-2005, 01:45 AM
Added new screenshots to original post

Rogean
05-24-2005, 03:20 AM
hi, JPG are your friend, stop using BMP. kkthx.

Dark Horizon
05-28-2005, 02:13 AM
Hmm, sounds like this will be a cool server. I especially like the name. ;)

Aonelyn
07-19-2005, 01:34 AM
This servers gonna rock!! CAN i GM SUPPORT ON IT!!

omle_555
09-02-2005, 08:02 PM
i would like to apply as world builder. or whatever u need help in im looking to get dedicated into a good server.

i have made several servers but quite awhile ago. as well as served as GM on servers like richardos old Lord Of The Rings Server , Virus's COE server back in the day and a few others. i know most commaNDS in game and basic quest writting PM me if u intrerested.

Kikaro
09-03-2005, 11:30 AM
Is this server even around still? The site is not there and the forums are all but empty now it seems. Was a great idea hope it didnt die.

cofruben
09-03-2005, 11:34 AM
we are still working on it.
www.eqdarkhorizons.com