PDA

View Full Version : Newbie armor

Sakrateri
04-19-2005, 02:39 AM
nm, its no big deal

RangerDown
04-19-2005, 04:09 AM
OMG that's teh uber stuff! I don't think my ranger on live is that well equipped :D

Cisyouc
04-19-2005, 08:12 AM
Its a good quest conceptually, but there are some syntax errors with it. (Spacing, operators, etc.)

Sakrateri
04-19-2005, 09:04 AM
thats odd, it works just fine the way it is on my server, I copied and pasted it straight from my .pl ??

Cisyouc
04-19-2005, 12:19 PM
The main thing im concerned about is ...
if($text=~/accessories/i && $class == 'ranger')The accepted operator for strings in perl is 'eq' not '=='.. and is considered a syntax error if interchanged because it can hinder or break performance.

The other thing is the use of &&.. its usually better to have multiple if statements..but thats just the way I would do it :)

If you fix your string operators, Ill sticky it :)

Theeper
06-03-2006, 07:57 AM
Sorry to bump an old thread but ...

I don't agree with you on using multiple 'if' statements instead of stringing them together.

The original code ...
if($text=~/accessories/i && $class == 'ranger') {
.. do something ..
}
The only semi-clean way to duplicate that statement is by nesting the 'ifs' ...
if($text=~/accessories/i) {
if($class == 'ranger') {
.. do something ..
}
}
The problem is, if you want to add an 'else', or change the logic to 'or' (||)instead of 'and' (&&) ... it would be really ugly to code when the 'ifs' are nested. Granted, if you have to perform 50 operations, it would be ugly to have them all in one statement, but for small ones, I believe they should be strung together, it promotes good coding practice.

I do agree on the use of proper operators though. In this case, it works because the '==' (numerical equality operator) simply converts the text to it's ascii value and compares the two values. Since any text with the same ascii values will be the same text, the operation works. However, you should get in the practice of using operaters that match the variable type.

Coleshadowblades
06-11-2006, 09:22 PM
Well im not sure what kind of perl youve been writing but 1 you dont use multiple if statements it eats processing time and interpretation time firslty secondly ive been writing perl for well over 13 years now and have written several major chat systems in perl there is NOTHING wrong with using && or || Infact THOSE are the standard of the industry. simply because you prefer a ceratin style of coding does NOT mean they are the accepted standard infact in this case you are plain wrong

Theeper
06-17-2006, 08:11 AM
Well im not sure what kind of perl youve been writing but 1 you dont use multiple if statements it eats processing time and interpretation time firslty secondly ive been writing perl for well over 13 years now and have written several major chat systems in perl there is NOTHING wrong with using && or || Infact THOSE are the standard of the industry. simply because you prefer a ceratin style of coding does NOT mean they are the accepted standard infact in this case you are plain wrong

I assume you are referring to Ciscyou's post.

I will say that you are the one who is wrong Coleshadowblades. He never said it was the accepted standard. In fact, he just said it's the way he does it.

There are times when you MUST use multiple nested 'if' statements. Some logic dictates it and there is no way to duplicate it by stringing the conditionals together. Anyone with any coding experience will know this.

Also, the overhead difference in stringing conditionals versus nesting them is insignificant in this scope. AFAIK, the only real overhead is simply because there are more lines to parse.

You make chat programs in PERL ? ... huh? ... wtf ... why?

Lastly, I can't stand people who point out other's mistakes when they have no sense of spelling, punctuation or grammar. Of course, that's just my opinion.

Coleshadowblades
06-20-2006, 03:26 AM
because genius they are webbased ( MOST Webbased chats are written in perl or phpo dipshit!) amazing how far a little research will take you

sesmar
06-20-2006, 09:53 AM
I thought this thread was about Newbie Armor. . . . Maybe I was mistaken.

mattmeck
06-20-2006, 10:42 AM
Coleshadowblades 69.136.XXX.XXX [Find Posts by User] [View Other IP Addresses for this User]
demondesignz 69.136.XXX.XXX [Find Posts by User] [View Other IP Addresses for this User]
sesmar 69.136.XXX.XXX [Find Posts by User] [View Other IP Addresses for this User]

keeping life interesting (added XXX to protect the IP)

all 3 of these people post from the same IP, exact same.

Chill now with the insults or it will be an IP ban.

sesmar
06-20-2006, 12:05 PM
I just wanted to make it known that I am not Coleshadowblades or demondesignz nor do I hold the same views or opinions as him. I have spoken with Mattmeck regarding this and will be clearing it all up. Thank you.

Coleshadowblades
06-20-2006, 02:15 PM
Now to clear things up no I will not be posting on these forums again for any reason this will be My last and final post here. No I am not sesmar. And no worries As Stated I will not be posting anything else on these forums good bad or indifferent.

Theeper
07-15-2006, 08:53 AM
because genius they are webbased ( MOST Webbased chats are written in perl or phpo dipshit!) amazing how far a little research will take you

It's funny when people who don't know what they're talking about get called out. I only bump this thread out of sheer boredom. I will not antagonize the kid anymore Matt. The wisdom he imparted stands on it's own merit :)