PDA

View Full Version : Newbie has questions

Dr Zauis
05-09-2005, 08:26 AM
Hi..First let me say that Im very impressed! Thanks everyone!

Now a little about myself..I have been hacking TombRaider for about 2 years.
Progamming with Delphi for a year..(Not that good yet!)
Playing eq live since receiving game as a gift on Xmas of this year.
Discovered eqemu last week!

OK. Now to the questions..I figured out how to get to the servers a few days ago..I created a character on the official test server "Tha grand creation" and started playing! Woot!
Everything worked great..I even figured out how to zone and summon items!
I guess from what I gather the server was to be up till May 22 then it was to
reset to a legit server. Its not on the list since yesterday and I notice different ones..wich leads me to these questions..

Is it normal for servers to come and go?

Will this particular server eventually become the one with the most "uptime"?

Will there be servers dedicated to achieving the most "uptime"?

Are most servers on the list for private use?

Wich ones can I play on? I dont care if its legit/custom or not. I just want to
be able to play the game and be assured that the server will be there a year from now.

Can I use my Cable connection and create a server to appear on the list?

Can it be a server to allow say up to 20 players?

If so..Can I use something like a Linksys wireless router and play on my server with another computer or even a laptop by just selecting my server from the list?

Gee..I guess thats enough questions for now.(I have a million more but first I
would like to be a player for awhile and study the rest..

Thanks in advance for your answers! Everything you write will be news to my ears!

Also..Im assuming that at this time everything is not normal..I mean from what I gather. Only recently a program has been created to allow one to play
on both Sonys servers and the eqemu servers. Even some History on how all this came about would be interesting reading to me!

Seeya!

ZozzET
05-09-2005, 10:22 AM
Is it normal for servers to come and go?
Servers running off people's home computers usually seem to come and go.

Will this particular server eventually become the one with the most "uptime"?
I think that was the PEQ server? Afaik, it's used for database testing..working on getting all the spawns in eqemu to be a bit more like eqlive.

Will there be servers dedicated to achieving the most "uptime"?
No idea, sorry :p

Are most servers on the list for private use?
Really just depends on the person who started the server. It's their choice if they want it to be locked or open to the public.

Wich ones can I play on? I dont care if its legit/custom or not. I just want to
be able to play the game and be assured that the server will be there a year from now.
It depends on your version of everquest. If you patched to eqlive, which I assume you did since you were on the PEQ server...you an only play on 0.6.1 servers. There's really no guarantee any server will be up a year later.

Can I use my Cable connection and create a server to appear on the list?
Yes

Can it be a server to allow say up to 20 players?
Yes, although there will probably be a lot of lag unless your cable connection happens to have a high upstream (40-50kb/s isn't very high...seems most cable companies have upstream capped at that)

If so..Can I use something like a Linksys wireless router and play on my server with another computer or even a laptop by just selecting my server from the list?
Yes

You can find a lot of info just by going through posts in the forum, and/or searching.

Dr Zauis
05-10-2005, 12:55 PM
Thanks! Thankyou very much..I havent been able to play again so I guess I will have to wait until "PEQ" comes back..We had a server merge the other day and I had to patch and Im unsure if Im still compatible..Thats what I was wondering..If I should look to PEQ as the standard server..(Im assuming PEQ is The Grand Creation I was playing on.)

Anyway..I know now that my plans can be achieved so Im working on the hardware portion of the server I intend to create.

I will study the threads to fill in the details..I may even be able to create some useful programs with Delphi once I understand the files and formats used..

I think maybe another diehard fan is born!

Cisyouc
05-12-2005, 06:04 AM
Thanks! Thankyou very much..I havent been able to play again so I guess I will have to wait until "PEQ" comes back..We had a server merge the other day and I had to patch and Im unsure if Im still compatible..Thats what I was wondering..If I should look to PEQ as the standard server..(Im assuming PEQ is The Grand Creation I was playing on.)

Anyway..I know now that my plans can be achieved so Im working on the hardware portion of the server I intend to create.

I will study the threads to fill in the details..I may even be able to create some useful programs with Delphi once I understand the files and formats used..

I think maybe another diehard fan is born!Actually many (if not all) of Windcatcher's tools are written in Delphi :)

Dr Zauis
05-12-2005, 07:12 AM
Actually many (if not all) of Windcatcher's tools are written in Delphi :)

Yep! I noticed that!
Maybe later I can persuade Windcatcher to release the sources..
Well..I guess now that I patched I wont be able to play for awhile but Im fixing that now! I sure will feel alot better when I know what Im doing!

Also..I know how to create models and scenes using 3dsMax and Meta..

I know about colision/sprites/static objects/texturing them/ect..
All I need to do is understand how EQ uses these things..Its not like TombRaider at all! There we use 1 file to create about everything needed in the level..

Well thanks for the info..Seeya