PDA

View Full Version : New Server Idea (PvP)

Rogean
05-11-2005, 09:25 AM
Ok, so I'v been thinking the last few days.. Came up with this idea. I took a lot of ideas from some of the different MMORPG's.

First, this is going to be a PvP Server. I'm not sure if I will name it Raid Addicts or not. Max Level will be 50. Here is how the PvP will cut down:

EQ2 Idea Aspect
First, to start off, only the continent of Antonica will be available. The two PvP Factions are going to be Qeynos and Freeport. The human race will be in a civil war. Players starting out may chose to align to either Qeynos or Freeport. They must make this decision before leaving the tutorial. I have not decided yet if certain races will be restricted to a certain faction (Ex, Trolls can only be Freeport, High Elves can only be Qeynos.) All other cities in antonica will be made into Exp/Raid Zones.

WoW Aspect
There will be three types of zones. "Qeynos Territory", "Freeport Territory", or "Contested Territory". While in a "Contested Territory" Zone, players may attack and be attacked by opposing faction players. For Factional Territory Zones, see below.

SWG TEF System
TEF Stands for "Temporary Enemy Flag", and here is how it will work. If you are a player in a zone that is territory of the opposing faction, you can not attack any opposing players, but you may be attacked by them. Once a player attacks an opposing faction player on the attacking player's territory, the attacker recieves a TEF. Once you receive a TEF, You can then be attacked by ANY opposing faction player on your own territory. TEF will last for 5 minutes from the last combat action you recieve/give, or until you zone.

EXAMPLE: Player A is a Qeynos Player. Player B is a Freeport Player. both players see eachother in a Qeynos Territory Zone. Player B MAY NOT Attack Player A. Player A Points and Laughs. Player A then decides to ATTACK Player B. Player A Receives a TEF, and may now be attacked by Player B. Player C Comes along (Freeport Player) and is able to help Player B.

Once you receive a TEF, It does not matter who you attacked to receive it, you may be Attacked by ANY Opposing Faction player in ANY zone.

LDoN Points
Yes, I know.. Rogean always has to use LDoN Points. I haven't finalized how I'm going to handle the LDON System yet, but heres my starting idea. I will be using the different catagories for different things. 1 May be PVE Points, recieved for killing mobs. a 2nd may be for killing Opposing NPC Factional Guards. A 3rd may be for killing Opposing Players in PvP. You will then be able to spend these points on items.

Name Coloring
I will be changing the way you see other players depending on their factional status. Here is how it will work:

Green: GM's/Guides
Purple: Friendly Players (Same Faction)
Blue: Opposing Players (Opposite Faction Non-Threat)
Red: Opposing Players (Opposite Faction Threat)

Name Colors will change if the status of their faction changes.

Example: Player A is Qeynos, Player B is Freeport. Both players are in a Qeynos Zone. Both Players see the other as Blue (Non-Threat Opposite Faction). Player B Knows that he can't attack Player A unless Player A has TEF, but player A can Attack Player B to Receive that TEF. If player A Decides to attack Player B, or any other Freeport Faction in a Qeynos Zone, Player A Receives TEF, and his name color will change to Red for All Freeport Players in the zone. Player A, Upon recieving TEF, Will then see all Freeport Players as Red.

Raid Addicts Feel
I will try to preserve the Raid Addicts feel the best I can. However, I'm going to try and keep this balanced, where a 15/25 weapon will actually be a level 50 UBER Weapon, so that casters will actually have a chance with their spells and not being resisted.

And, of course, Armor will be dropped in EXP Zones appropriate for the players hunting there. There will be different armor for each faction, dropping from their own territory exp zones. Hopefully this will offer a little individuality to the server. I don't think I will introduce dye's.

And of course there will be Raid Zones, but the high end zones will be Contested Territory, to add a little pvp fun to the mix ;)

I'm looking for Suggestions and opinions. No Negative Opinions please (Ex "It will suck") Unless it is constructive and you can back it up.

RangerDown
05-11-2005, 09:40 AM
I find no obvious flaws with the server concept in general, but before you begin putting a lot of time and effort into it you might want to gauge the market a bit. We have one pvp server in full swing and another on the horizon (no pun intended :D). Unlike PvE, servers dedicated to PvP have *got* to have at least a certain number of people online at most times of the day to be successful, and the PvP population may already be thinned out among the other 2 servers.

Rogean
05-11-2005, 09:53 AM
Well it will take a couple of months to develop. Hopefully by then people will be ready to try something new =)

Belfedia
05-11-2005, 10:11 AM
The problem with new server is'nt ideas :)
Your concept is excellent !!!
This is the Staff, 2 month of devs, 2 month of play, and close...
If this server come, i hope you choose good GM :)

solid11
05-11-2005, 11:21 AM
Yep, sounds like a great idea. If the new live compatible emu gets out of testing soon, then maybe that will increase the player base since there are a ton waiting to get online. We can only hope. :)

Richardo
05-11-2005, 11:25 AM
Good Ideas, although there are lots of people whom do not prefer PVP and perhaps you could build just a "pve" server that have certain zones that "Require" pvp such as Guild/Side instances/wars, etc but does not require all players to join in, so this way, those whom dont like PVP dont have to participate and those who do, can do so. You could add a reward system in this instances, etc... How ever you choose, this is just some insight of my ideas as you may have noticed, winters roar is extremely successful and they arn't a pvp, perhaps.. pvp has been used and unbalanced so much on eqemu that people are sick of it? I really wouldn't know, so here are my half A%%ed ideas.. Although I love your ideas and I will be stealing them all, muhahaha... Kidding :p <3

Rogean
05-11-2005, 11:34 AM
The only reason I concidered making a server at all is because I came up with this idea. If I am not comfortable with the idea I have in mind then I'm not gonna bother trying to make the server, and I happen to like this idea a lot.

mikeGreen
05-11-2005, 11:51 AM
I think that would be a great server it would be way more grouping and friends then just run to places and solo. I like the two cities against each other like a war. If you do I will definitly be their playing non stop. And also the pvp would make it more fun if you are bored and wanna kill people lol :), also the factions with territorys where you would acually have to sneak around the city, Would be lots of fun.

Rogean
05-11-2005, 01:22 PM
I think that would be a great server it would be way more grouping and friends then just run to places and solo. I like the two cities against each other like a war. If you do I will definitly be their playing non stop. And also the pvp would make it more fun if you are bored and wanna kill people lol :), also the factions with territorys where you would acually have to sneak around the city, Would be lots of fun.

Keep in mind that the main idea of the server is PvP, its not just an optional part that you can participate in.. It will be mandatory.

dark_one
05-11-2005, 01:37 PM
you should have leaders of each group, player leaders or gm ones that would pwn..

and they can promote people to officers and such

(remember no flaming on the forums so you cant make fun of my idea)

RangerDown
05-11-2005, 02:39 PM
If there's no flaming on these forums then you need a new sig :D

I don't know if what you mean is realm-wide officers and such, but the guild system, of course, already has support for leaders and officers.

KhaN
05-12-2005, 01:48 AM
Interesting ideas, if you figure how to change player tag color, i'd like to know how, because i was always told it was client side and couldnt set it manually via eqemu :(

RangerDown
05-12-2005, 02:12 AM
You have to tell the other players that the player whose tag is being changed is /roleplay (if you want it purple), GM (if you want it green), or PvP (if you want it red), or turn them off to have it blue.

Oh, and there's also this peach/orange color if they're both PvP *and* roleplay. Rog might want to keep that one in mind if he finds a use for it :P

Rogean
05-12-2005, 02:29 AM
Interesting ideas, if you figure how to change player tag color, i'd like to know how, because i was always told it was client side and couldnt set it manually via eqemu :(

When a player zones in, I will modify the code that sends out the 'new player' to show that the new player is Roleplay, or PvP, and I'll need to set it to send the appropriate one depending on the faction between the new player and the player receiving the packet.

Then when a player changes status, Ex a Qeynos Player gets TEF, I will have it tell all the Freeport Players in the zone that that player now has a PvP Flag (Red Name).

I will play with it this weekend to see if I can get it working like this (To send out seperate packets), I'll let you know if I get it to work.. It should be possible.

you should have leaders of each group, player leaders or gm ones that would pwn..

and they can promote people to officers and such

(remember no flaming on the forums so you cant make fun of my idea)

No. This will lead to favoritism.. Players will want so and so to be the leader, and then that leader will play favoritism to who is officers, etc... The Factional System will not be guild based like Richardo's server, and players will still be able to create their own guilds (However, guilds must be aligned to a faction and can only invite that faction players).

Rogean
05-12-2005, 05:16 AM
Oh, and there's also this peach/orange color if they're both PvP *and* roleplay. Rog might want to keep that one in mind if he finds a use for it :P

Hmm.. I will have to check that out.. May come in handy for showing non-threat players that are able to attack you. (Players in Opposite Territory Zones)

canehdian
05-12-2005, 06:55 AM
like richardo said a fair ammount of people like pve more then pvp, so what you should do from swg is make it so people can pick between 2 factions or just stay neutral, and if they pick a side make it also like swg where they can be covert (hiding your factiong) or overt (showing your faction off like a gay man at the million man march) and with covert and overts thats where the tef from swg comes in =D

Rogean
05-12-2005, 07:42 AM
like richardo said a fair ammount of people like pve more then pvp, so what you should do from swg is make it so people can pick between 2 factions or just stay neutral, and if they pick a side make it also like swg where they can be covert (hiding your factiong) or overt (showing your faction off like a gay man at the million man march) and with covert and overts thats where the tef from swg comes in =D

nah, then theres no fun.. cause then nobody will go PvP.. =\

A Gay Man at the million man march? When I played SWG, I was one of the few people who were overt all the time excluding jedi knights. I even went and declared before getting my buffs.

Innerfire963
05-12-2005, 09:55 AM
Well sounds like a great idea... ever since i quit Rallos Zek on live I've been looking for a good, decitated, PvP server... but i have 2 questions... will there be level restrictions on who you can attack?(maybe 5 levels up and down?) and will you be able to loot others? (kinda like the old Rallos Zek Server?)

But... Like the last few people said many people like PvE... well personally I like PvP but if you deside to change your mind and go pvp, you could make it like where PvP people get special binifits, maybe like fraction PvP epic armor or something... Just my ideas not my server... Good Luck and Peace out.

canehdian
05-12-2005, 01:26 PM
hehe when i played SWG i was always overt, then again i was a master CM / Doc, and had some kick ass buffs, and AE poisons / Disease's

Rogean
05-13-2005, 02:57 AM
mpike/mswords/mbrawler/xx4x medic

All my dots would be worth about 50 mil right now if the CU didn't nerf them. 1k Pike would be worth another 30-40 mil.

Anyways, moving on..

I'v run PvE Servers, yes.. However, I came up with this idea and I want to keep going with it. The server will be both PvP and PvE, and there will be plenty of PvE stuff to do on your own territory.. hell, you could probly get to level 50 without doing any PvP, but I want to take a stab at a PvP Server. So please stop talking about the server type. I am looking for suggestions about my idea, not about the server type.

Xiao
05-13-2005, 06:45 AM
Well, I like it. The EQ and WoW ideas are best. I like the idea of the name colors, but I'm not quite sure that'd be very visible...oh well, sneak attack bitch! I think that the person before me was right...your GM's will have ALOT to do with it. Just take your time and this could end up a badass server. Maybe even as good as RA was.

canehdian
05-13-2005, 08:38 AM
you could do something from DAoC where you have to take a item from the opposing city to get a nice items, pvp points, or something along those lines

Ueguvil
07-10-2005, 10:06 AM
BUMP

How's the progress going, Rog? This really did sound like a cool server.

Deserx01
07-11-2005, 07:40 AM
Some very amazing ideas in there, I really like the idea of having Qeynos and Freeport be opposing forces, however it sounds like there will need to be some heavy coding to make it all work. Good luck.

Reahlador
07-17-2005, 05:09 PM
U still even working on it? or did you give up on it?

Rogean
07-17-2005, 08:12 PM
Lol I threw the idea out there, but I'm still playing SWG Now (So I haven't worked on the server).

I don't know if I really ever will make it.

I am now a Full Template Jedi on SWG, Awaiting the FRS To be turned back on. While I wait, I may open a SWG Ladder of some sort (An idea that me and a friend are going to be working on).

kilapuppy54
10-11-2006, 07:07 AM
When is Raid Addicts going to Open? i see it most of the time when i log in and i wish to log on to it but it is always locked, and i know that Dev or GM can get in only. please post a date around which it will be up please? i would love to play it.

joedan
10-13-2006, 01:06 PM
These posts are over a year old

XebeknSZ
10-31-2006, 09:43 AM
Even though this is over a year old, I think someone needs to make a decent pvp server. The EQemu Sullon Zek Server blew because of the sucky coding. The Last Stand has been promised for almost 3 months now with no delivery. Even if it does come out, it makes me wonder about the type of support people would get from the GM's etc when they need it. I liked this idea except for the SWG part, it doesn't promote pvp. It just makes it easy for people to avoid it. If you are going to make a straight up pvp server, then you should not allow any ways to avoid pvp (unless its the under 6 rule like on EQlive). This means instances or anything like it. If people want to avoid pvp, they need to do it creatively. Gaining faction for NPC's to protect them, running, hiding etc. I can guarantee I good pvp server with balanced pvp (I'm talking only to lvl 50 because lets be honest, that was the only time it was ever sort of balanced) would conjure a mass influx of pvp. Take the sullon zek server, it had a ton of people on it the first day until we all found out how broken everything was. The Last Stand is another good example. Look how many replies it had. That topic has to rank in the top 5 in this section of the forum for most replies and its a pvp server. Someone make a pvp server the right way and watch the masses pour in.

Barl
10-31-2006, 04:47 PM
agreed, someone needs to come out with a pvp server asap.

Rogean
11-01-2006, 01:49 AM
Wow, You ressurected a Year+ Old thread.

I haven't really even been working on a server. The server you see in the server select is just my code testing / etc server.

I have been coming up with ideas recently for a new server, We'll have to see how far I take them. However, I don't think it would be PVP.

XebeknSZ
11-01-2006, 08:19 PM
There is a huge cry for a old world PvP server, just old school, no kunark or anything. Just the OG continents. www.hateguild.net and www.prophetsofsz.org both of those websites could conjure up atleast 40 people a piece to play. I know it can't be too hard to code. Just regular old world stuff, make Ice coment and conflag the way it use to be along with everything else. I know <Hate> is looking for something to do while Vanguard is still in production. Rogean if you could give us this type of pvp server, you would be a living legend.

XebeknSZ
11-04-2006, 08:36 PM
Bump? (10 characters)

rorren
08-14-2007, 03:44 AM
guessing this is over :(?