PDA

View Full Version : Live Is Broke Again

fathernitwit
05-14-2005, 03:24 AM
OK,
so as many of you know, the newest patch broke eqemu again. So we are back where we started a couple months ago. They changed a reasonable ammount of stuff besides opcodes, so we got plenty of figuring out to do.

The best way you can help is by playing on live and packet collecting everything you do. I will be releasing a new packet collector once we have enough of the new structs figured out. Until that point the old one will still make valid log files, but none of the other stuff (privacy/mobs) will work. Submit any logs to PEQ feature logs folder as described in the collector thread. If you want your logs kept secret, contact me and we'll make arrangements.

gordonzero
05-15-2005, 11:00 AM
just a quick question about opcodes ... um ... woudn't it be posible to find the opcodes by watching the server log for the "unknown opcode" and figuring out what you did to cause it to happen?

Doodman
05-17-2005, 08:18 AM
Well, that is what we basically do..

But considering there are currently 200+ unknowns, it's not quite as simple as you might think.

Plus, they have changed around some structures so those need to be figured out again.

[BN]Shaun
06-12-2005, 04:31 PM
Is there any general ETA or guess of when you guys might have this fixed?

solid11
06-12-2005, 04:54 PM
14 Days, 7 Hours, 47 Min, 23 sec....22 sec....21 sec....20 sec....

Dr Zauis
06-12-2005, 09:19 PM
14 Days, 7 Hours, 47 Min, 23 sec....22 sec....21 sec....20 sec....

I hope this is not some sort of a twisted joke!
If not...WooT!
/bow

Belfedia
06-12-2005, 09:22 PM
I think it was a joke :p

Thatguyfoo
06-14-2005, 08:49 AM
12 days....4 hours....9 minutes....59 seconds....58 seconds....

Dr Zauis
06-14-2005, 10:20 AM
Well..I do see a server on the server select that say something like...
6.1DR2 live test..So Im thinking they are getting close.

BTW..I was wondering my self why go through all the trouble to make it live?
Why not work with what we have and start fixing bugs and forget about live
compatibility? So I did some searching and found the answer..And I agree 100% with the devs..If they would stop now and just work on the current version. Eventually there will be no one but very few to play! And the chances of ever getting back to live again will be nil..
Thats not good..So I agree..Priority #1 should be to keep live compatible.

You will never hear me complain about "bugs"! I will be more than satisfied
that the emu is as close to live as possible..The rest is rather moot!
There will be time to fix these "bugs" later...The most important thing is to keep it "live".

So thankyou Devs for having the sense to realize that the EMU is not for
a select few who were lucky enough to be here at the correct time..Its for
everyone! And the way to keep it that way is to keep making it live compatible!
Nothing else really matters after that..At least not at this time in my opinion.

mrea
06-14-2005, 11:01 AM
I too would like to congratulate the Devs. on their hard work. I've been waiting for a very long time for the Live Compatible version to hit because I loved running my own server and messing around with MySQL. Good luck to you guys on fixing this mess that Sony has created ;-)

velotek
06-15-2005, 03:07 PM
Not to sound ignorant but how is WintersRoar doing this currently? Is the eqmain.dll and eqgame.exe (along w/zone .txt files) that they patch over just the pre 5/11 copies of those files?

Ibanesx
06-16-2005, 07:34 AM
Yeah, man thats kinda weird. Why does winteroar work. Is it because it has a seperate program ? Weird

Tulwen
06-16-2005, 11:36 PM
If we reinstalled EQ with the CD's and did not patch would that get us going temporarily?

I'm just asking cause I'm trying to learn some about this and have a little fun with it before class starts back up next week.

Dr Zauis
06-17-2005, 12:12 AM
If we reinstalled EQ with the CD's and did not patch would that get us going temporarily?

I'm just asking cause I'm trying to learn some about this and have a little fun with it before class starts back up next week.

No..You must patch. That is why its so important to keep the EMU compatible with live..I dont know but I suspect that some day something like Winters
Roar will become toally obsolete and there will be no way to play it unless you were lucky enough to have been playing before..

So thank those Devs for their incredible insight to this game..I have found it to be very confusing compared to a "Normal" 3d game where the .exe and file
structures never change!

yoshscout
08-17-2005, 06:55 AM
Ok i been doing the coding thing for quite a while and i was thinking, this may be the way the developement process is going but i may be wrong.

Y not split the developement team in 2 parts. One that is concerned with keeping opcodes running ie live compat team and one that is purely running for functionality. live team gets it compatible and then functionality team catches current version up to that level of functionality. i know this requires updated opcodes for all that functionality most likely but you get the idea.

This brings up a good question... where is the documentation of what we have lost from version to version?