PDA

View Full Version : Help! I need the old spell particle effects

Ozone45
05-30-2005, 06:57 PM
I've never liked the "new" spell effects SOE put in in 2002 and I was wondering if anybody knows how to get the original spell graphics back in. I have my original Everquest CD as well as Everquest Trilogy.

I installed EQ and ran the original offline tutorial and the old spell effects were in there but I don't know where to to start when it comes to transferring those spell effect files over to my current version of EQ. Does anybody know the name of the file I have to copy over to my current EQ folder?

Ghost Fire
05-30-2005, 11:04 PM
Well all the spell effects are in a folder labled [SpellEffects]. My guess is copy/paste the old images over the new ones. Maybe over the top of some .dds too.

Ozone45
05-30-2005, 11:25 PM
I've installed Everquest off the original EQ cd. The problem is there isn't a Spell Effects folder. That was created in 2002 when they started changing the particle effects engine. So I don't know which file has the old spell graphics in it.

Just to be sure they were on the CD and not patched in, I ran the old offline tutorial and it did have one of the original spell effects. So they must be in there somewhere I just haven't been able to figure out which one it is. All the media files use the XMI format which makes it impossible to figure out which files have the spell graphics.

Smedy
05-31-2005, 03:55 AM
I doubt this is doable without using the old particle engine :/

If you wont patch tho from the live servers youll still have the old effects but then again, i doubt there are any servers running on pre luclin content? Or ive heard you must patch to gain access to them anyhow, and when you do press that patch thingy the soe particle engine will be installed.

I know, soe did nothing good only bad things, i love to see that players in 1999 were able to record in game movies of 30 people raiding with full spell effects, when now in 2005 it would seem impossible, even tho we have 30 times more strong computers hardware wise :)

SoE sucks, but someone should pay em to get the old world real databases and use em to make everquest old school version, im sure it would sell if it was cheap enough :)

fanman55
06-13-2005, 03:14 PM
I'm also trying to restore the old eq atmosphere, I'm stuck on the spells ATM, I did a fresh install of my kunark disc to try and locate where the spell effects are along with the UI, does anyone know where they are stored by chance. I'm trying to get as much information as possible, so please ramble =)

mrjp
06-14-2005, 01:21 PM
I think they were a part of the executable until they switched to the new ui/effects.

Dr Zauis
06-14-2005, 01:39 PM
I dont know if this will help or not...

But Texture Finder is sort of a generic program to find textures from almost any game..Its very slow and hard to use but I have used it to find textures
in some of the games I have around here..

http://www.trlcsoft.com/TOOLS/PROGRAMMERS/Programmers.html

fanman55
07-19-2005, 08:56 AM
Well, Installed Kunark on my computer and used the old spells.eff file renamed it spellsnew.eff and replaced it into the EverQuest version that works with the emulator... When I got into the game the spells kind of worked, it didn't show some of the graphics, I think some of the graphics displayed themselves at a faster rate than normal, and last but not least the game crashed after a while of messing around. I wonder if I'm going about this at the wrong way... Again, if anyone has anymore information its greatly appreciated