PDA

View Full Version : What can we do?

warsonofrage
07-02-2005, 06:09 PM
Greetings although I have never been a coder or a script writer or in anyway anything other then a novice eqemulator fan I feel very strongly that there ARE some simple things we can do to protect are collective projects.

Winters Roar did NOT fail it succeeded phenominally; however sony decided that due to its success it was a threat. When people post on the sony boards about an emulator project and they see people leaving becase of it THIS will draw a great amount of un-needed attention.

Think of the emulator project kinda the way you would about Fight club. First rule about the club is dont talk about it. We have a simply awesome community with probably more creative talent harbored between us all then all of sony combined. We dont need to tell everyone how good we are we simply should share what we have here and accept that it is good enough for our peers to know and recognize our work.

No matter how wildly successful are servers are we should refrain from giving sony any chance to kow how popular they are. From now on maybe NOT posting that you have 239 players on right now in x zone might be a good idea. We must for now at least pose as little visible threat to them as possible and meanwhile redouble our efforts to make the emulator even BETTER then it already is. A custom client for the game although an awesome idea probably wont be a viable idea any time soon and even if it became viable would ptentially still pose a threat to sony in one way or the other simply because of its relationship to this site and its contents. Lets do what we have been doing but use a bit more common sense when we are doing it.

I sincerely hope that wiz fights this to the highest court of whatever land he resides in and that sony loses so badly they never show there face in the emulator arena again...will that happen...probably not but I can hope.

windsofwar
07-13-2005, 08:24 AM
I cant beleive no one has even responded to this thread or even viewed it. Seems odd that in the time its been up no one has even taken a second to look at it. lol oh well.

mrea
07-13-2005, 11:22 AM
I sincerely hope that wiz fights this to the highest court of whatever land he resides in and that sony loses so badly they never show there face in the emulator arena again...will that happen...probably not but I can hope.

Not to shoot you down or sound like a dick or anything, but imagine how much money that would require. It is so easy for us to say "Fight the system" or whatever, but unless you have thousands and thousands of dollars, it isn't going to happen in the near future.

howdytest
07-13-2005, 02:05 PM
In regards to the previous post, it's been discussed in another thread...

warsonofrage, i think we all must agree your post to be true. It's hard to have such a wonderful project and try to hide it.

What i think brought the C&D's to EQemu was a link on http://www.wtfcomics.com/ to Winter's Roar. Afterall, it would make sense that the EQ team looked at the popular eqcomics. Woody at GUcomics even got recognition on EQ's homepage.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but once the link appeared, the C&D was served right behind it.

Cisyouc
07-15-2005, 10:54 AM
In regards to the previous post, it's been discussed in another thread...

warsonofrage, i think we all must agree your post to be true. It's hard to have such a wonderful project and try to hide it.

What i think brought the C&D's to EQemu was a link on http://www.wtfcomics.com/ to Winter's Roar. Afterall, it would make sense that the EQ team looked at the popular eqcomics. Woody at GUcomics even got recognition on EQ's homepage.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but once the link appeared, the C&D was served right behind it.I disagree. When I was on Prexus before I came to EQEMu, the emulator link was spammed occasionally. Even specific server's sites. Didn't bother them. On the SOE forums, there've been spamming for the emulator and servers. I highly doubt that caused it.

My personal feeling is the recent exponential growth in WR. Just a few weeks ago, it was reported that WR had made the record for the highest active population (200). Then, just a couple weeks later, they hit 300. Even people on my old EQLive Guild's forums, who, when I told them I was leaving and would be in the Emulator community, had very misinformed and unimpressed emotions about an EQ Emulator, started linking to WR and found it very cool. This caught Sony.

Aonelyn
07-19-2005, 01:24 AM
o well, dawntide will be good.