PDA

View Full Version : PHP vs MsAccess(OBDC)

Damilis
10-09-2005, 08:52 AM
I see lots of php admin tools around but not everyone has the know how to get a LAMP, WAMP or WIMP stack working correctly.... so how do people feel about a MSAccess application via MyOBDC as a front end admin tool?

sdabbs65
10-09-2005, 09:01 AM
I see lots of php admin tools around but not everyone has the know how to get a LAMP, WAMP or WIMP stack working correctly.... so how do people feel about a MSAccess application via MyOBDC as a front end admin tool?

I actually use it when I want to do certin things like build new spawns for a zone it was worth the 30 bucks.

http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/showthread.php?t=18595

Damilis
10-09-2005, 09:41 AM
Cool. Let me elaborate though:

MsAccess via MyOBDC is simple enough, I was talking about the development of forms and VB6 code to do various tasks with the database. is this what you already have?

sdabbs65
10-09-2005, 01:36 PM
Cool. Let me elaborate though:

MsAccess via MyOBDC is simple enough, I was talking about the development of forms and VB6 code to do various tasks with the database. is this what you already have?

No, why re-invent the wheel ?
it seems like it would be more trouble than it's worth..
I have tried several flavors of databases even excel and you just can't beat
FQADMIN. it's the best tool out there and it's outdated by several versions now.
Not only that; they change the database almost every release so it would have to be something thats very flexable in order to stay functional..
Look at all the tools that are now defunct becase of the DB Changes.
but then again im a skeptic and maybe your on to something ..

Damilis
10-09-2005, 01:50 PM
Well i was just really "sticking the feelers out there" so i don't do through a lot of trouble for nothing ya know? Right now i am working on a way to link the \quests\ directory to the eq062.NPC_type and eq062.NPC_Spawn table to run some code/scripts and give me lots and lots cross-referenced info and archive capability. not to mention the ability to link the tables to a .aspx and publish on the net for all the peeps.

sdabbs65
10-09-2005, 08:08 PM
Well i was just really "sticking the feelers out there" so i don't do through a lot of trouble for nothing ya know? Right now i am working on a way to link the \quests\ directory to the eq062.NPC_type and eq062.NPC_Spawn table to run some code/scripts and give me lots and lots cross-referenced info and archive capability. not to mention the ability to link the tables to a .aspx and publish on the net for all the peeps.

sourceforge <gasp> has CVS ...again can't be beat...and it's free

Damilis
10-09-2005, 09:34 PM
sourceforge <gasp> has CVS ...again can't be beat...and it's free

nothing like a little sarcasm to ruin a nice little discussion eh? sheesh.

...and what are YOU talking about? cvs on sourceforge has/is nothing like what I am working on. Hmmm, whatever, moving on.

Anyone else with opinions? Access front end? useful to you?

Belfedia
10-10-2005, 01:45 AM
Well well well,
Don't worry all :)

NOW:

Eqemulator is free project (on sourceforge.net) made by free programmers.
I think this is why it use only free program : Gcc, mysql, perl, etc...
Change this is'nt very excellent for the project :(

BUT:

If you can make usefull programs with M$ software for the emu, Whynot ?
I think more we have programs for make good Emu, more is good :)

we just need to keep the core free :)

Damilis
10-10-2005, 02:46 AM
there is actually free MsAccess runtime software that allows you to open a MsAccess Application... can't edit it or change it but you can run and use it. ;)

squire
10-10-2005, 02:46 AM
What about using VB.NET? The reason I bring this up is because the app could become cross platform compatible if the *nix users have the Mono runtime. There may need to be some tweaking, but if you are just doing basic connections, and you use the ByteForge mysql connector to connect to the database, you should be able to just move it to a mono enabled system and run the app. We have some apps at work that were build in vb.net on a windows xp developer system and our ops team uses linux as thier desktop with mono and they have no issues with the core functionality. Web Service calls are a little rough, but the rest runs fine on a linux box.

Damilis
10-10-2005, 12:45 PM
Funny you mention vb.net. I am working an Access 2003 front end so i can get a good feel for how i want the background code to flow and as i complete components i am migrating them over to my .com as vb.net. I dont have vstudio.net nor any other code editor and I do all my web content creation via Dreamweaver MX which doesn't lend itself very well to any form of coding....

Anyho, I will be providing the vb.net code once i get it less dangerous... :) one click db go bye bye right now.