PDA

View Full Version : Any solution for a new install of EQ?

Phlegyas
10-21-2005, 04:40 AM
Guys, I'd like to apologize for the newbie post. I've searched the forums, and everything I've read so far has been for clients who haven't patched after 9/13. Unfortunately, as is usually the case, I've come to the game a bit late.

I purchased EQ a couple years ago, but never really got into it. I guess I was still pretty wrapped up with UO. In fact I still run a UO server using the RunUO emulator. I recently decided that after 6 years of UO (I bought it in the "cloth map" timeframe), I'm burned out. I tried DAoC for a bit, and got my Albion Scout to lvl 37, but then got sorta burned out on that one too.

So anyway, I'd really like to try EQ. Unfortunately, since I have never installed it or patched, I wouldn't have any old clients, and I know it's not appropriate to ask for older clients either. I downloaded the free EQ Trilogy that they were offering here: http://everquest.station.sony.com/trilogy/download.jsp and installed it, and of course, immediately double-clicked the desktop icon which started the patch process :) So I cannot login. I would re-install it, but the Wiki points out that there are no original clients that work with the server (because they always patch immediately).

So my questions are these:
1: Is there anyway to stop the patch process after a certain version?

B: Would it work with a clean install of the trilogy setup?

00000011: Would you recommend that I actually play EQ on a 'real' server before even trying to get into this?

IV: Would it do any good to go out and purchase the latest version of EQ?

and finally...

Is there any way for someone in my position to play on a EQemu shard?

Thanks in advance for your help.

So I found the 'Idiot Posters' forum. Feel free to throw me in there.

It looks like I'm just SOL for now. Probably better if I play on the real servers for a bit anyway.

sdabbs65
10-21-2005, 05:23 AM
You can play if you figgure out how to stop the thing at 09/12/05.

not sure you can do that tho as the patcher unlike the uo patcher, dose not send out old files only the newer ones.