PDA

View Full Version : Polling the players..

Dr Zauis
03-04-2006, 11:48 PM
I was thinking I might want to poll the players on my server to find out pertinent information. Something like in MOTD I say.."Do you like the fact that mobs run away from you?"
#yes ("I like it! It makes it fun!)
#no ("I dont like it. Its too buggy..)

So maybe #yes and #no can be a simple anwser.

I could poll right here on the forums but then people who dont even play on my server can vote.

Is this something that could be useful? Cause if the Devs arent interested and others are I think I could do this as a coding excersize maybe in a few months.(Takes time to learn a new language LOL!)

sdabbs65
03-14-2006, 07:50 AM
I was thinking I might want to poll the players on my server to find out pertinent information. Something like in MOTD I say.."Do you like the fact that mobs run away from you?"
#yes ("I like it! It makes it fun!)
#no ("I dont like it. Its too buggy..)

So maybe #yes and #no can be a simple anwser.

I could poll right here on the forums but then people who dont even play on my server can vote.

Is this something that could be useful? Cause if the Devs arent interested and others are I think I could do this as a coding excersize maybe in a few months.(Takes time to learn a new language LOL!)

S@ny already has this feature but I doubt you will see it anytime soon.

ndnet
03-14-2006, 08:42 AM
Unless I've missed something, I believe Sony's polls are implemented within the login server and not the world servers. While the official login server might be able to support such functionality, I wouldn't hold my breath about it being added to the world servers since it falls outside the scope of eqlive emulation. Are the servers currently doing /feedback, /bug, or /petition stuff? That would be one way to hear from your players without adding anything extra.

fathernitwit
03-14-2006, 02:18 PM
you could do this with perl commands pretty easily, just write out each run to a file with their player name to avoid multiple submissions.

Muuss
06-22-2006, 04:22 AM
Or make a quest and outputs the answers to a text file, with globals and such, you can do some nice things !