PDA

View Full Version : Problem with OZ :p

shamanistik
05-13-2006, 04:04 PM
Hiya ! got some troubles here :p

From the .txt inside

- Run OpenZone.

- Using the menu or toolbar, open test_ec.scn.

- Click File...Export to .WLD (when trying out the other .SCN samples, be careful not to change the water settings unless you have the appropriate textures in your library\textures\ecommons folder, or OpenZone will erase the entries).

- In the save file dialog, type ecommons.wld. (This scene file references textures that are in ecommons.s3d, so this scene will only work for that zone. Also, the name is actually important, as it gets encoded in the .WLD file. Calling it something else and renaming it to ecommons.wld will *not* work.)

- Once it's finished exporting, exit OpenZone.

- Run EQInside and set it to the EQ folder you're working with.

Looked for EQinside a very long time.. any clue where it went?? :p

Also done search about importing S3D files, to modifiy existing zones (working on EQ storyboard in the future of the regular EQ, and adding a couple chairs, rooms, etc.. would be awesome)

Windcatcher
05-14-2006, 02:35 AM
WOW, that's old. I can't believe I still have that in there. My advice is to ignore the .txt file -- OpenZone has built-in help that I keep up-to-date.

If you just want to try an OpenZone zone, then what you should do is open tutorial_2.scn and choose Export...Export to .S3D. When asked for the output zone name, enter "ecommons". To use the tutorial_2 file, you'll need its textures, which are available here:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=88515&package_id=128908&release_id=276191

Unzip all of the texture .ZIP files into your OpenZone/library/textures folder *before* starting OpenZone.

After you export the file the way I've described above, BACK UP your existing ecommons*.s3d files and overwrite them with the ones that OpenZone generates (they'll be in the OpenZone/zones folder). The tutorial_2 file is a very small zone (much smaller than the real ecommons one) and you might find yourself falling as soon as you zone in. Make sure you have admin rights on your server and move yourself to something like 0, 0, 30 (I think it's the #goto command but don't hold me to that). You don't need to worry about EQInside anymore. That was written before OpenZone could export directly to .S3D (besides, I wrote a replacement program called S3DSpy that's way better, but you don't need it here). To leave the zone you'll have to use the #zone command since you won't have zone points set up at this point.

After you've seen the little zone, the next thing you should do is go through the tutorial. Ignore the .txt file: OpenZone comes with built-in help for everything, including a tutorial that will walk you through the process of building the tutorial_2 file I described above. It's a very simple tutorial and shouldn't take you more than half an hour. Once you go through it you'll know most of the basics.

After that you should take a look at some of the zones I've built to see what's possible with OpenZone. They're available here:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=88515&package_id=128908&release_id=333409

I've added a lot to the Veldona zone since then and if I have time today I might upload an update. I've also begun working on an elf city (sort of gfay writ large), but it will be some time before it's ready.

OpenZone can't import .S3D files and this is by design. I don't want anyone using it to cheat on live (such as adding shortcuts, etc.). OpenZone is for creating your own zones and I don't think it would be good for OpenZone or EQEmu if people started using it for malicious uses on live. I'm not accusing you of it but it would incur SOE's wrath and I don't want to take the risk. Someone would use OpenZone for that purpose if I allowed it.

shamanistik
05-14-2006, 03:33 AM
Ok, thanks for the reply, will look into that :)

Windcatcher
05-14-2006, 03:41 AM
I just re-uploaded the sample zones, which includes the newst version of Veldona. I also added a new scene pack file, scenepack5.zip, which the new Veldona requires. Just use the links above to get them.

The new texture pack includes a texture for a rope bridge. OpenZone 6.9 will include a bridge script that can either be used for hanging (rope) bridges or normal bridges that arc up. I'm building a zone called lelembeth that's sort of the ultimate gfay zone that makes heavy use of the script. I'm still making changes to OpenZone 6.9 so it isn't ready yet...

shamanistik
05-14-2006, 03:48 AM
Looking for Iksar type mesh stuff, suppose there's no way to get them too?
Revamped some old dungeons being city, adding a throne Iksar type and some old chairs, tables, textures is not possible? or I have to build my own with 3D max?

Also the s3dspy didn't work for some textures here, was a brick texture I exported ok, but when using it it was not showing properly, some old textures are not supported? well that's ok, textures are not really my problem, can live with it :D

Windcatcher
05-14-2006, 04:38 AM
You're really supposed to make everything yourself, including textures. The purpose of S3DSpy was so you could export a zone and rename the .wld file inside to match a zone you were overwriting. If you use SOE textures you're just asking for trouble (and their textures aren't really .BMP files anyway, they're .DDS files, which OpenZone can't read -- but it can write them when you export).

I just realized that the new Veldona zone uses some mesh objects that are only in OpenZone 6.9, so I'm going to have to hurry and get 6.9 out. The other changes I had planned will have to wait for 7.0. One thing I want to do soon is have the wall script perform automatic door placement (and add an SQL export for the doors table), but that will be a lot of work.

shamanistik
05-14-2006, 05:33 AM
Really a great tool, keep it like that :)

Really fun to model his own zones !

dispair
07-31-2007, 06:01 AM
When i ran OZ and export to 3Ds the files will not open with 3DS max 9. Any idea what the version used for this was so that i can edit zones and view on 3DS Max?