PDA

View Full Version : Opening .map files

CamelFilter
07-15-2006, 07:48 PM
Does anyone know how to open a .map file. Everyone I have tried is encypted in notepad. Would very much like to open some and see about making some new ones for DoD zones and such, and checking to see if the .map is related to adding new spells.

sesmar
07-16-2006, 01:55 AM
.map files, I believe, are a binary file so you can not open them up in notepad. Windcatcher has added a feature to OpenZone that will generate these .map files, you might want to check it out.

Dr Zauis
07-16-2006, 07:46 AM
Im gonna play with opening the .map files when I learn more about opening binary files and file formats.
The info is in Windcatchers code so it shouldnt be too hard to figure out.
I may even be able to draw something..Like if the map file is a skeleton of the zone maybe the skeleton is recorded as tris and quads? If not. Then maybe I have to assign shapes to represent whatever is in there..

This will be just a practice type of project but maybe I can make something useful for others..

fathernitwit
07-16-2006, 04:20 PM
the format is fully specified in map.h in the code, which also includes the code required to read them and work with them. However, the data in there is practically worthless to a human.