PDA

View Full Version : Breaking Root and Getting Interupted.

Zuesrooster
09-05-2006, 11:49 PM
I noticed that casters where not getting interupted taking damage, and found the following in code attack.cpp Mob::CommonDamage line 2180:

if(spell_id != SPELL_UNKNOWN) {

this should be changed to:
if(spell_id == SPELL_UNKNOWN) {

interupts happen from melee damage and not spell damanage. Breaking root at 20% probably should only happen for melee damage. I remember breaking root with a damage spell has a much high probability. I added the following right under the if statement.

else
{
if (IsRooted()) { // neotoyko: only spells cancel root
if (MakeRandomInt(0, 99) < 60) {
mlog(COMBAT__HITS, "Spell attack broke root! 60percent chance");
BuffFadeByEffect(SE_Root, buffslot); // buff slot is passed through so a root w/ dam doesnt cancel itself
} else {
mlog(COMBAT__HITS, "Spell attack did not break root. 60 percent chance");
}
}

60 percent is a random guess at what it should actually be for spells. All I know is it is higher. If anyone has a better concept of what it should be please let me know.

vales
09-06-2006, 05:18 AM
What about spells for Paladins? It has a big chance of interrupting spells, iirc. It always stuns from what I've seen. That's the only way Paladins were able to out taunt others.

Cease, Desist, Stun, Force of Akera, Force of Akilae, Ancient Force of Chaos, Force of Piety and Ancient Force of Jeron to be exact. The other stun spells do have a damage/stun effect on them, though.

Also, it seems like if I stun a mob it just keeps casting the spell. For instance, say the mob was casting a spell and was about 50% through the spell. I then cast a stun or bash it. It should reset the casting timer, but it seems like it continues casting from where it left off, finishing the spell.

Also, Warriors are supposed to be able to stun by kicking at 55 which I haven't noticed was implemented either. :) It's discussed on the official forums here (http://anonym.to?http://eqforums.station.sony.com/eq/board/message?board.id=warriorbalance&message.id=13371).

You're right about the root breaking. My druid on live always hated that, heh. It should be making a check for every single time it takes damage. Perfect example would be snare/rooting a mob and then casting a DoT on it. If should have a chance to break root for every tick it takes the damage from the DoT. Not sure about what it is at now, but I think this sums it up from the 1999 patch notes.

PVP Changes:
- In order to make PVP combat between spellcasters and melee types more
viable some changes to PVP spell effects have been made. All damage
spells cast in PVP combat will do less damage to the PC than the same
spell would do to an NPC. When a PC is under the effect of a root-type
spell there is a 20% chance that they will break free when a direct
damage spell is cast upon them.

I wouldn't know how you could change the PVP/PVE aspect part of this, but I hope it helps somewhat. :)

Zuesrooster
09-06-2006, 11:57 PM
Thanks for the reply. I will look into Stuns and bashing. This would only fix interrupts with the mob taking damage, not sure if that includes damage from a DoT or not will have to see if DoT damage uses this method or not. Does 60% chance of breaking root from a spell seem too high? Another thing I am looking to do is I remember in eqlive, and been told by a couple of old guild mates that when you get hit you character moves ever so slightly, that a strategy to help channel was stand against a wall. Playing mostly a bard I never had to really worry about that. Does anyone else remember this? If so would you happen to know how much you move? I would like to implement that also.

vales
09-07-2006, 05:27 AM
It may seem a bit too high since there are root spells certain classes get later on that last up to three minutes. Shamans come to mind on that one. There's a popular technique Shamans use called "Root Rotting". They basically solo this way, and it would be a bit difficult for them to do so if root were to break with 60%. If it were say, 50% then it would have a more unpredictable feeling as when it were to break, so maybe that would be better. Not to mention that certain classes get AA Root abilities.

This is where the channeling skill comes into play. Higher channeling makes for better casting. I can vouch for that fact simply because I was in Lower Guk with my cleric doing the stupid faction quest for the Wood Elf illusion crown. My tank would literally pull the whole zone, and the casters and I would back up into the corner and AE like mad. Since you get knocked back when you get hit, having your back against a wall or something helped with the casting immensely. :p If I needed to tap a mob, I would use a quick stun spell just for the faction hit, too. I was down there for literally two months. :/

You only move backwards depending on the effect. Melee damage (stun/bash) didn't really knock you back a whole lot, but the knockback effect (weapon procs, spells) did push you back much more, visually. That's why on raids or simple grouping, it's advised never to stick a mob into a corner or wall for the simple fact that a simple knockback can push it inside.

DoT damage never has a knockback effect. It just has that % chance of breaking root. Bard mezzes made the mob randomly skip around about as much as a stun/bash. I never understood that though. :p Also, remember bard bellow songs do have a knockback effect, so it does interrupt spell casting.

Basically, I would say that you move about half a step on physical bash/stuns. But on spell/proc knockbacks, you would move a whole step or so. The casting effect should be interrupted of they can't make a successful stun save by getting pushed back from melee and spells (Agility). And for casters, the higher the DEX the easier it is to get spells off since it helps with channeling. The channeling skill just adds to the "cushion".

InsaneWallaby
09-07-2006, 03:35 PM
From my memory, I would have to say you move an inch (~2.5 cm) to two inches (5 cm) or so if you were talking in real life terms for each hit. So, obviously, if Mr. Froglok and his company of 10 are smacking you 30 times per spell, you won't get a spell off since you're moving about the height of an wood elf per cast attempt.

If you want proof of this, remember velious and luclin with the 248903824904289402 hp creatures, and how they would be pushed around zones and off cliffs and into clipping planes on those 80 person raids and summon everybody beneath the world? Fear plane had this problem, too--always had to keep them away from the wall. Well, there's your proof.