PDA

View Full Version : A few questions.

Bishop4351
09-25-2006, 04:01 PM
I'm new to eqemu but I like the idea. I have some friends who have played or wanted to play EQ and they don't wan't to pay SOE every month. I setup a server with a little time last friday and for the most part I got it up and running with minilogin and running linux as the server core.

I have a few questsions that I don't really see so I though I'd ask them here:

(BTW please ignore my newbness ;) )

Is there anyway to let minilogin work by anyother means besides IP auth. I was able to get an account setup for me (and my brother) but sometimes he comes over to my place and I'd hate to be updating mysql to fix this or worse having to write a PHP frontend to let users in. I was able to get the password auth to work with a little work in mysql. The database took the * and % but the program couldn't parce that to mean anywhere. What do I need to put in to sql to do that? Anyway I can have the same account use more than one IP?

While I have this server up and running there isn't much there aside from the stunning landscape. I've played a few other servers and they have NPC's, mob's and doors. From everything I've read all of this work is realated to the database. I pulled what parts I could see from the installer and the parts that I found from PEQ but I'm not sure I'm on the right one. Is Velious Beta 1 where I should start for EQTi support? I'm more than happy to donate to whom ever created such a database (I know it had to be quite a bit of work).

Thanks!

--Eric

John Adams
09-26-2006, 12:28 AM
Pretty sure Minilogin is IP only. You could set up a Public server and just lock it so no one else can enter, and set your players Status level high enough to get by the lock.

As for "completest" database, you might check out Angelox or Cavedudes databases. PEQ's is up through Luclin (minus VT tuning) and is closest to live in content, but both Angelox and Cavedude have more content beyond that. There are also Quest packs you should grab so NPCs interact properly.

There are indeed many servers with tons of content, but those server admins busted their butts to tweak their servers specific for themselves. Some custom, some live-like. The community would benefit from non-custom updates (because we're really only after Live content here), but sometimes it's just too much work to pull out changes we've made. Angelox does this wonderfully. And other community members write awesome tools to help (GeorgeS, Zephyr, and others).

Hope this helps. Enjoy the Emu. It's a fun and amazing thing.