PDA

View Full Version : Limits of EQemu

Iandaan
02-19-2007, 12:35 PM
I have been looking through the code and found some insane potential for customization. A game could be created that acts far, far differently from EQ, and I plan on taking advantage of that.

But my question is this: What are the current limits of the EQemu server and databases? There was a recent thread in this forum about creating new classes, and it appeared that it could not be done, but where exactly is the hold up? What all is controlled by the client files that we are not allowed to touch?

Also, what files are we allowed to edit and redistribute? Can we provide new UI files for our users?

link2009
02-19-2007, 01:54 PM
New custom-client coming soon. We might see a lot more customization there.

Teppen
02-19-2007, 02:02 PM
I think you posted this in wrong forum, dont think this should be in the development forum, but I could be wrong.

Having said that, as for current limits of EQEmu:
--
no instance zones.
no guildhall to my knowledge.
no bandoliers.
no leader/raid point system.
list goes on, Im sure others here can list more.

As for custom server and database limits there really arent any good example would be www.shardsofdalaya.com .They have there own patcher which downloads custom content. They rename registered eq zones and have custom spawns, drops, etc. That is one way for custom servers and databases.

The second way would be to take advantage of OpenZone, to create zones with textures and objects not registered to sony. Create custom armor, items, weapons not registered to sony. Then wait until the creater of OpenZone releases his SimpleClient which will allow you to load custom zones created by OpenZone to play with instead of eqgame.exe.

Either path you choose the limitations of a custom server are only the limitations of your imagination. For example, the dev from SoD adds custom code adding features that do not exist in the current EQEmu download section. He codes his own features for his custom server and distrubutes an old eqgame.exe file which was with gates of discord first came out, this is frowned upon in the eqemu community because he is actually distrubuting warez (actual sony content via patcher). But if you eventually take the OpenZone & SimpleClient path, you could create or use a preexisting patcher and distrubute your custom zones which dont use sony textures or sony ideas and you would not be distrubuting warez. SoD use to be Winters Roar, until they got a cease order from sony and closed server, then the popped up again under new site under new server name but with same content they used in WR. So this is another drawback from using sony content, you risk chance of recieving cease orders by email, or other means of contacting you, which could result in ugly legal matters.

link to a recent post including teaser pic of simpleclient below:
---
http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/showthread.php?t=22439

hope this helps

JrFaust
02-19-2007, 02:04 PM
If the file either was on a Sony CD or downloaded from Sony it's Sony

mattmeck
02-19-2007, 02:33 PM
SOD is not a good example, its a good server, i am in no way bashing them, but they are breaking the law with there downloader and most of there development.

Simple client will solve the legality issues very nicely.