PDA

View Full Version : Linux server install guide

cubber
07-13-2007, 11:00 AM
This question has probably been asked a bunch of times, but I have found no solid answer. I have looked at the guides on the wiki and have attempted to set up a linux server by using them but they all seem unfinished or outdated. Is there any guide out there that explains how to set up a working Linux based eqemu server from start to finish? It is obvious that it is done very often as many of you have working linux servers, however there is a definite lack of solid documentation.

I have just set up a new install of Gentoo Linux on a pc and it is configured with apache, mysql, and php. I would like to take this clean server and make a eqemu server out of it. If anyone is willing to guide me through setting up a working eqemu server, I would be willing to document the process and put it up on the wiki once the server is complete and running. We could either collaborate over the eqemu IRC channel or I can provide an IRC channel to use.

Thanks,
Cubber

sfisque
07-13-2007, 11:28 AM
this is what i used to get up and running:

http://www.eqemulator.net/wiki/wikka.php?wakka=LinuxServerGuide

there is a PDF guide floating around, so you can search the forum for "pdf server guide".

== sfisque

cubber
07-13-2007, 12:09 PM
That guide shows you how to compile eqemu but what about the database and quest stuff as well as setting up minilogin? I will search around for the PDF guide.

cubber
07-13-2007, 12:14 PM
Found the PDF guide but it is for windows servers not linux.

John Adams
07-13-2007, 01:50 PM
There is more than enough information in the Wiki for sourcing databases and setting up Minilogin. Not to mention, the Linux Server forums here. I'm surprised you cannot find any info.

cubber
07-13-2007, 02:04 PM
It is not that I cannot find any info, the problem is that all the info out there is incomplete or outdated, and it can get very confusing trying to figure out what is the right information to follow. Most open source projects have full documentation that clearly takes the user from the start to finish with a fully working system at the end. I have yet to find such documentation for a linux eqemu server.

For instance:

http://www.eqemulator.net/wiki/wikka.php?wakka=LinuxServer and http://www.eqemulator.net/wiki/wikka.php?wakka=SecureLinux are both incomplete with no information as to where to go after you perform the steps .

Also http://www.eqemulator.net/wiki/wikka.php?wakka=LinuxServerGuide seems to have been abandoned by the maintainer and seems unfinished.

Like I said before I am willing to help create documentation that will take a server admin through the whole linux server installation from start to finish, but I am going to need some assistance creating a working system and the steps involved. There seems to be plenty of fully working windows server guides why not a linux one?

It just seems to me that a project like this deserves full documentation.

John Adams
07-13-2007, 03:56 PM
Sorry I have to disagree, most open source projects do not have adequate documentation. Projects with many, many developers or community supporters contributing, perhaps. Here, we got as many devs as you have fingers on one hand - and they do not get paid to write 3rd grade comprehensible documentation for every widget they create.

The Wiki is fully maintainable by this community, and it will not get one character clearer until people here start updating it. I personally will not go find all the Wiki articles on how to source the DB in linux, because its' exactly the same as on Windows. Same with Minilogin setups.

My best advice for "existing" docs here is look at the last edit date, and avoid anything that hasn't been touched since the emu went Titanium.

Not trying to be a dick, just tired of people saying there's no documentation or instructions, when there is. Hundreds upon hundreds of people have got this thing running by themselves. They didn't write the code, they read the incomplete and outdated docs.

sfisque
07-13-2007, 04:21 PM
JA is pretty much on the money.

some other avenues for information:

IRC - find the link on the www.eqemulator.net home page

forum search. if you're stuck on a "specific piece" of install, Search the forums for it, like: database source install. that should offer up some useful links (along with some crud, you'll have to do a little digging/filtering)

wiki search. the wiki has a kings ransom of info, but its not organized well. search is your friend.

== sfisque

cubber
07-13-2007, 04:25 PM
Thank you for your advice.

BWStripes
07-29-2007, 07:00 AM
I have a linux guide, currently opendocument format.

I never finished it as...well, I like writing quests and playing more than I like writing documentation.

It was for ubuntu which is full of irritations as far a distro goes, but successfully tested against other distros, I just don't have a full "required software" list for them.

If I knew I could update the wiki, I would probably have pasted it in there.

- Stripes