PDA

View Full Version : Screenshots (Desktops)

techguy84
07-19-2007, 12:30 AM
Well, I though since there hasnt been a new screenshot thread in quite some time, I would put one up.

I cant think of great screenshots without having the word "Desktop" come into my head so thats what we will shoot for. Hopefully some people will notice this and swing by with a picture. The best part about Desktops from people on hear is that you will see some crazy ones with more shortcuts and icons than you could care for.

If some of you dont have a good screenshot program, I recommend SnagIT 8 (http://www.techsmith.com/download/snagittrial.asp). Its very powerful, and its what I used to create my guide. Check it out. (Windows Only I Think, sorry OpenSource guys)

Heres my pretty new desktop(Details below the screenie, P.S. This is on Vista btw!!)

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u53/techguy84/desktop.png

*Using Stardocks ObjectDock 1.9 Plus
- Bottom Bar is a Launcher for common used apps
- Top Bar is a Tab style bar to contain all apps
- Top Right bar is the System Tray
- Bottom Right Bar is for all open apps, similar to the taskbar thats normally at the bottom

*Wallpaper comes from the Abstract section of DeviantArt.com Its something Liquid Metal.
*Windows taskbar is a permant hide mode so it wont pop up when I got mousing on bottom of screen

Hope everyone jumps in on this because I like to compare others to mine and get some ideas possibly.

Cheers!!

John Adams
07-19-2007, 09:35 AM
Nice MacOS desktop. Oh wait, that's Vista. nm... ;)

techguy84
07-19-2007, 01:49 PM
Nice MacOS desktop. Oh wait, that's Vista. nm... ;)

I think OS X is amazingly sleek. Apple has got one thing down and that inovation. Stardock's ObjectDock is a great addition to Windows because lets face it, Windows lacks some things that make life simpler.

I have the quick launcher on the bottom for common used apps. Thers not alot on it now as this was as clean install. I have the dock at the top of the screen which is a tab style dock that has all my programs in various tabs so I dont have to dig through the start menu to get them. The other two docks are just for functionallity as its hard to use a OS without a system tray and a list of windows and programs currently running.

I am using the Vista DreamScene thing right now, in conjunction with StarDocks DreamScape. I have a collage of pictures located on my computer that plop down on the desktop in varios sizes and then fade out as pictures start to pile up.

Its pretty sexy looking when you sit down at it. My brother was just over here yesterday and spent every bit of a hour just staring and playing with it. I finally had to pull him away so I could get back to work.

P.S. John you cant come on here and knock my desktop without giving me a screen shot of that Linux Distro your running. Was it Fedora or are you a Gentoo kinda guy lol!

John Adams
07-19-2007, 08:38 PM
To save me any effort, remove all icons from your desktop except IE7, and change the background to dead black.

That's my desktop.

Says a lot about a guy, no?

techguy84
07-19-2007, 11:44 PM
I used to be like that. Pure plain and simple. No flashy things, lowest possible memory usage, but with my new computer, I can afford to throw a bunch of unessicary things up and still have MB to burn. Out of every configuration I have ever had, this one pleases me the most overall. Its got flash, but yet its not overcomplicated.

GeorgeS
07-21-2007, 05:39 AM
That desktop looks great. My XP looks like Win2K (thru settings), since I prefer the old look, but that Vista view is eye candy.

I'm still waiting to buy vista once sp1 and my Quad Q6600 G0 stepping arrives!

GeorgeS

sesmar
07-21-2007, 01:20 PM
Here is a screenshot of my Desktop running Gentoo Linux with Fluxbox. It is not much to look at, very minimalist, the only thing visible is my system monitor "Conky" and the Fluxbox "slit". All of the applications that I run are either on the right click menu or keyboard shortcuts. The wallpaper is obviously from Oblivion; however, I mostly like it for the background design.

http://sesmar.net/desktop01.png

Wizzel
08-13-2007, 06:56 AM
I can't understand why anyone would want to make their desktop mimic that of the Mac OS. Windows has natively been faster at management and browsing and Stardock is just another something to eat your RAM. Trust me, give it 1 month and you will have deleted it. :rolleyes:

techguy84
08-15-2007, 06:29 AM
Ok, well, its been a month and I still havent deleted it........ so umm, yea.

Oh, and by the way, if you question its memory usage, currenty 3 docks running and its only using 2.6MB of ram. Now I dont know about you, but to me thats not a big memory eating program. If I cant spare 2MB of ram, i probably shouldnt be running much of anything other than Solitare.

kaboutertje
02-17-2008, 12:00 AM
I have a macbook pro, and although I love macos I'm also a fan of windows.

Most of my time is spend behind my windows pc though and although it isn't that pretty, most tasks can be performed faster compared to macos, sure you need to know where to look first but if you know these kind of things windows is good.
I really do not understand all of the windows bashing. And honestly the fact that my macbook pro is still equipped with a single mouse button is something I really do not understand.

Angelox
02-17-2008, 12:46 AM
Here's all I could handle for free wallpapers (http://kde-look.org/index.php?xcontentmode=1x2x3x4x5x6x7x29x71x72x73)
My desktop changes every 30 mins to about 40 different backgrounds (have to do something with all the extra memory). It's Linux