PDA

View Full Version : How to create alternate textures for models?

Telltolin
11-25-2007, 05:51 AM
How does one create alternate textures for models? I figured some openzone fiddling would have to be done to achieve such a thing, so I made the thread here.
Is it even possible to create alternate textures (that is, not overriding the original)? I've already created the texture, and when I exported the model to max, it's an unrigged glob. I tried exporting the .wld file and converting it to .obj, but it keeps saying "nothing to save" when I try to.

Scorpious2k
11-28-2007, 08:34 AM
I'm not sure what it is you are trying to do...

Telltolin
11-29-2007, 06:11 AM
I'm not sure what it is you are trying to do...

Create an alternate texture... You know? Like for generic erudite npc models, the default is a guard but if you use #texture 1 it will have an alternate texture (and in the case of that erudite model, mesh).
I want to make it so my model will have an alternate texture with #texture, basically.

Scorpious2k
11-30-2007, 09:50 AM
Create an alternate texture... You know? Like for generic erudite npc models, the default is a guard but if you use #texture 1 it will have an alternate texture (and in the case of that erudite model, mesh).
I want to make it so my model will have an alternate texture with #texture, basically.

I am pretty sure this is only done with alternate meshes. For example, different chest, head, etc..

Telltolin
11-30-2007, 05:04 PM
I am pretty sure this is only done with alternate meshes. For example, different chest, head, etc..

That doesn't matter, honestly. Is it possible to create an alternate one?

edit,
IE, add a new one entirely

Sakrateri
11-30-2007, 11:36 PM
You have to use S3Dspy and find , then extract the texture you want to change and then once you change it use S3Dspy to add that texture back into the client with the same name in the same place you found it. And no matter how many textures you change only you will be able to see it in game unless you give someone else the file you changed to use in their client.

Scorpious2k
12-01-2007, 01:58 AM
You are talking about a mob or character model right?

Sakrateri
12-01-2007, 02:43 AM
you can use it for anything.. mob, character, buildings, items, whatever you desire to change the texture of.

Sakrateri
12-01-2007, 02:55 AM
heres a pic where my son put his face on a woodelf ranger.

http://www.kheprigames.com/sonsface.jpg

Telltolin
12-01-2007, 08:10 AM
Alright, now that I know that's possible, can I do it without overwriting anything?

Sakrateri
12-01-2007, 08:42 AM
No , you have to change the texture that you extracted and then add it back with the same exact name, when you make a new one you will lose an old one.

Telltolin
12-01-2007, 09:03 AM
Well, that sucks. I wonder then, could I create a new model in the global char file, and just have the model i want with a different texture than default? Perhaps I could replace one of the ugly, WoW-like new global models, if I must replace something.
If I do go this route, there's an issue. When I export the model (spectre), it is unrigged and just a blob. I assume that there is absolutely no way to rip the animations and I'm just screwed. Is this correct y/n

Sakrateri
12-01-2007, 09:12 AM
Ive had no luck with it, I was able to get the models and skeletons for them but no there were no animations extracted with them I had to make up my own animations for them.

And dude, I am sorry but I gotta ask, that little picture by your name.....thats not really you is it? cause it scares the hell outta me!! lol

Telltolin
12-01-2007, 09:20 AM
Ive had no luck with it, I was able to get the models and skeletons for them but no there were no animations extracted with them I had to make up my own animations for them.

And dude, I am sorry but I gotta ask, that little picture by your name.....thats not really you is it? cause it scares the hell outta me!! lol

I guess I'll just have to replace. Oh well :|

And nah, that's not me. Though it might as well be, I use it on every forum I'm a member of.