PDA

View Full Version : Zoneserver speedup

bot403
06-16-2002, 03:38 AM
i noticed that the zoneservers arent compiled with a -O3 flag in linux. I recompiled using these optimizations and my zoneservers seem MUCH better. was it left out for a reason? or was it an oversight? Maybe im missing some danger in that much optimization, but it works for me, so if you'd like to include it in the next Linux release i think the zoneservers would be a LOT faster.

Trumpcard
06-16-2002, 05:15 AM
Check my post a few months ago on optimzing linux binaries, and optimzing the game on a linux box.. You can actually add quite a few more inline optimizations when compiling. I also included some tips on recompiling your mysql server for better performance.

Another big one is that the compile arch. flag is set for i386 in the makefile. This is the most compatible, but is missing ALOT of newer architecture hooks.

In addition. Consider installing and compiling with gcc3.1, one, you can use the new CPU specific flags (march=athlon, athlon-mp, athlon-xp,etc) , PLUS, 3.1 binaries are an average of 15% faster in performance. (still not as good as intels compiler, but gcc is getting there).

http://forums.eqemu.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=980

This has been a few months back, so there are better optimizations available, especially with the new gcc . (Its been a bit buggy, but I HIGHLY recommend it. I've recompiled a good deal of my system with it and Im impressed by the differences. Also, if your into performance, go with the gentoo distro, it will compile everything from source with current optimization flags (problem with most linux distro's these days is theyre compiled using i386 flags for maximum portability, and no optimization). The portage system makes it EXTREMELY easy to rebuild and upgrade packages.

Just my findings, but I can tell you they made a BIG difference on my systems.

And of course, YMMV.

Good luck!

bot403
06-18-2002, 12:46 AM
thanks ill look into it

bot403
06-20-2002, 12:30 AM
hmmm gcc 3.1 seems to break all my builds.....even with your changes suggested from the previous thread. It reports ALOT of errors....how can i fix it? Have you had success with gcc 3.1? I get alot of undeclared function names and parse errors before the ";". What can i do to make it compile with gcc 3.1?

Trumpcard
06-20-2002, 02:23 AM
Actually, I take that back. The last time I compiled it, I compiled it with gcc3.0.4. All my other code compiles fine when I switched from gcc3.0.4 to 3.1, i think I assumed this ported transparently too. I'll dig around and see what I can come up with...