PDA

View Full Version : GUI for editing world?

Bardboy
06-17-2002, 12:52 AM
This has probably come up before but, I thought I'd throw it out there anyway.
I know very little about programming so, don't laugh too hard.

Is it possible to have a gui menu inside the game for placing spawns? (Hit points, level, class, model, etc... )

I guess what i'm asking is in-game editing. Press a button and up comes a GUI linked to your database, or set of files that can be merged into your database later. Or perhaps its just a 3d map viewer that can be edited, then merge the data.

Trumpcard
06-17-2002, 12:55 AM
Yes, it's very possible. A DirectX overlay could do something like that.

The guy that does Xylobot does that.. www.uorobot.com

I dont know that anyone around here writes DX code though...

Hmm
06-17-2002, 06:23 AM
that would be great tool for worldbuilders.

Lyenu X`Arie
06-17-2002, 05:57 PM
Once I finish learning MFC I'm going to start on DX programming, but I dunno, it'll probly take me quite awhile to be able to do anything like that, so don't count on it =(.

Baron Sprite
06-18-2002, 12:01 AM
That would be pretty cool :D

Trumpcard
06-18-2002, 12:14 AM
Send Ben a note, I bet he wouldnt be opposed to releasing a bit of his 'overlay' only sourcecode, or sending snippets to demonstrate how he does it. He's a pretty cool guy from everything I've heard, never spoken to him directly though.

His contact info is over at www.uorobot.com

Kaiyodo
06-18-2002, 01:09 AM
I doubt if Xylobot uses an actual video overlay, they're pretty much only used for viewing video via DirectShow. I know they're not even exposed in DirectX8, you have to use them via the DX7 interfaces so I doubt you could display one over EQ (I've not tried, however). I hear they're making a comeback in DX9.

The most likely method Xylobot uses is to hook the DX calls to CreateDevice() in a similar way EQW does and obtain surface interfaces from there. Back in the DX7 days you used to be able to call GetDC() on these DX surfaces and then you could do all sorts of funky stuff with the windows API. Can't do that anymore though :(

K.

Bardboy
06-18-2002, 02:58 AM
Again...im not a programmer so, im just throwing ideas out there.

Has anyone heard of OGC? its a hack for the Half-life mod Counter-strike. it hooks the HL.exe and runs scripts from a gui.

I believe its open source. it may give some insight.

http://www.endung.de/ogc/cheats/files/ogc-9.zip
http://www.endung.de/ogc/cheats/files/ogc-9-source.zip

*edit* changed link and added link