PDA

View Full Version : MQ2 Detection needed

Angelox
03-05-2008, 12:16 AM
I wonder if someone might come up with some code/detection for MQ2 (Macro Quest), and other hacks of this sort?
This program makes even the most "legit" server illegal as MQ2 players can do much more than what was thought (warp around, summon any items, increase skill/AA levels, etc).
Currently, MQ2 is totally undetectable and also is not logged (no way to know who uses this). On SOE's EQ Live, you get immediately perma-banned when they catch you.

cavedude
03-05-2008, 12:27 AM
I second that.

trevius
03-05-2008, 10:53 AM
I know there isn't a way to log if a player is using MQ. But there may be ways to find out if they are using it or not. I use MQ because it comes in really handy when world building, or to watch players. One of the rules on my server is that MQ is allowed but only for spawn viewing on maps. If anyone uses it for warping, they will be banned immediately if I catch them. I don't use MQ on servers that don't allow it. And I have never once used it for anything other than the maps with spawns.

The reason I am mentioning that I use MQ is that I know some of how it works. I am sure there are some ways to trick players into turning themselves in. Maybe something like making a spawn in an unreachable part of a highly traveled zone that has a name like #Secret_Uber_Quest_NPC. Then all you would need to do is make a quest that uses the quest::write command to write the player names to a file when they hail the NPC lol. Maybe even put a bogus quest on it like hailing it summons some awesome no rent item. Otherwise, they might warn the other players about it.

quest::write("warping.txt", "$name the $class is using Macroquest.");

I heard that Sony even used chat filters to detect if a player mentioned a unique spawn name that was outside of any trackable range. So, that player is obiously using MQ (or showeq). Just name the mob something funny that will be an extra incentive for people to mention it. Old Plane of Hate used to have NPCs named something like "ShowEQ Users Suck". Of course, the name would probably have to be more unique than that so there is no chance someone would actually say it in everyday chat.

AndMetal
03-05-2008, 05:05 PM
I remember looking through the logs one day there were some bits about large position moves that might have something like this in mind. Because I use #gmspeed, I usually see it all the time, I just can't find a specific example to speak of. If I find one, I'll post it here.

trevius
03-05-2008, 11:36 PM
I considered that, but then anytime you get a mage summon, it would trigger the alarm. Or anytime a guide summoned a player it would as well.

You would have to keep track of every summon done by players and GMs. If you could track both of those to tie them together, then you could maybe just remove anyone who doesn't have one of those 2 tied to the large position move and they are MQ warpers.

AndMetal
03-06-2008, 07:08 AM
Using the grep command on a log file in Linux would be easy enough to filter just the large moves from the logs, and using that information as an additional log file (warping.log or whatever), you could use it to find out who is getting warped, and see who's doing it a lot, etc.

Of course, I'm sure the source could easily be tweaked to do the same thing real-time. I assume the same could be done for casting of CoH, the GM summoning command, or if someone uses the #zone command to change location (if you have it enabled). It could then be tied into a rule, which could be turned on & off at will (if you don't care, why waste extra HD space?).

Just a thought...

KLS
03-06-2008, 07:11 AM
Solicited zone moves would reset the tracking target, you could then track with a bit of slack of course if a PC is moving considerably faster than he should be allowed. This would probably cover most the usage, in zone warping is probably the easiest thing to track.

Things like buying AAs and skilling up for the most part are handled server-side, you could trick the client into thinking you bought one or your skill was a certain level for a client side effect however, would be virtually impossible to track though unless they were abusing run speed aas with a warp tracker as above.

One thing sony also does is have the ability to mark certain NPCs, targeting the NPC is logged, they apply the same system to doors and other invisible objects. If you're targeting something you're not supposed to that sends up a red flag on sony's end, and I actually think it's pretty clever.

Ven-elexver1
03-08-2008, 09:05 AM
peq db has a hack log that shows if anyone uses a # command me and my brother was playing around and i set #gm on command on him i did not change this stat to 250 but his name went green and no mobs would atk him like a guide this worked only till he zoned. but i ask him to try /goto (me) it logged him in my hackers log so i know that much works. but to use it for the type of cheats your talking about I'm not sure If you could make it work

TheLieka
03-28-2008, 08:31 AM
We've got code in place to prevent MQ2 /warp and /zone functions. The anti-/warp code isn't hard, but it does take some tweaking, as you've got to allow a certain amount of leeway for lag. We have also had issues with zones that use intra-zone portals (such as Paineel, Felwitheb, and one of the Freeports), but I believe that Null (one of our superdevs) was able to resolve that. I'll take a look at it. Many of the variables are currently hardcoded, so I'd need to integrate it into the Rules System before I release it.

The anti-/zone code (though fantastic) relies on your zone_points table being fully populated with x, y, z in addition to the target_x, target_y, target_z. I'm hesitant to post it because I don't want 10,000 PMs about why people are getting attacked by the hack detector, when it's related to their database.

I don't have the zone_points table fully populated, as my server currently only supports Classic, Plane of Fear, Plane of Hate, and Plane of Sky, so if you wanted to allow access all the way through PoP, you'd have a lot of work to do in getting the zone_points table up to date.

If you guys want the code, I'm happy to post it, but I am afraid that it will generate more work than most people will be willing to do.

Thanks,
Dax

moydock
03-28-2008, 09:07 AM
I would give my third from the left nut for this code. AND, I most likely wouldn't bother you. :) xoxo

TheLieka
03-28-2008, 05:57 PM
http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/showthread.php?t=24761

Enjoy. ;)

Dax

Ven-elexver1
03-30-2008, 09:50 AM
Ty. for the link and hard work you have put in to this.Its a bit over my head but i have seen it work on your server.really nice program .