PDA

View Full Version : NWN Poll

Baltar
06-24-2002, 06:58 PM
Straight forward poll

1 - Awesome ( starcraft, counterstrike calliber )
2 - good ( 1 to 2 hours of worthy playing time a day )
3 - below average ( you might check it out every year or so )
4 - crap. ( bought once, played once )

Felar
06-26-2002, 10:17 AM
I didn't like it

Jon
06-26-2002, 05:24 PM
complete crap, dont waste da cash, spend on getting ram or a GeForce 4 4600 :)

Trumpcard
06-26-2002, 08:19 PM
i like it... I bet the older crowd around here probably appreciates it alot more than the younger PSX and Thumbwarrior crowd...

If you don't have permanent calluses on the inside of your thumbs from an Atari 2600 joystick and an extra 10 lb's of fat from 3 am Dorrito and D&D sessions, NWN is probably not the game for you.

I think it's a blast.. Been playing a few custom modules with some of my old gaming buddies, and its alot of fun...

stormgod
06-27-2002, 03:32 AM
would be a good game if it wasnt crashing so much , like one day it work , another cant even go past the splash screen , next day it work , without saying that for me its crashing like every 30 mins , it would not be so bad if I could at least start it everytime...

anyway looks wonderfull, waiting for fix or its going back to bioware

Trumpcard
06-27-2002, 05:32 AM
Try to look for the patched nwmain.exe that strips out the SafeDisc protection..

I bet that will make a world of difference. Also, try running it with no sound. I had to replace an old Vortex M80 sound card due to incompatibilities with it and the new DX versions..

Baltar
06-27-2002, 05:33 AM
I think it's a good game. One of my annoyances is the load times for eg. going into a room in a house requires a transition screen and then a progress bar. Why couldn't they just put a loading message in the corner? If you don't mind that, then your fine so far.
Another annoyance I have is the way the camera pans in the chase mode. When I'm in a battle the camera would always pan behind a building so I couldn't see what was going on.
The stuff I like are the custom quests and d&d rules. You'll find all your favorites like the martial arts monks and Palladins with smite.
I played online in one of pvp servers and it's a killfest much like
diablo. Characters can be saved locally or serverside. There's so many servers though you just may loose track of any server side characters you created (unless you kept track of the ip).

p.s. I think alot of the crashing my be due to low end computers.
on a P4 with 512 megs it runs flawlessly.

stormgod
06-27-2002, 07:45 AM
Try to look for the patched nwmain.exe that strips out the SafeDisc protection..

I bet that will make a world of difference. Also, try running it with no sound. I had to replace an old Vortex M80 sound card due to incompatibilities with it and the new DX versions..
already tried the crack to remove cd check and I try with the no sound feature checked, it sometimes run to the main menu and then I'm able to play for a an indefinite time ( 10 mins to two hours ) , some others it just stay black and process viewer says its not responding , anyway its well known from the dev , there is a 33 pages long thread about that lol
seems to be an opengl support issue with windows XP
(dev tried at first to make peeps beliebe it was overheating inside the comp lol)

waiting for next patch .. waiting !! lol

strychn
06-27-2002, 10:26 AM
i think it's a great game. but definitely, if you aren't a d&d person, it's not a game for you. as for crashes, loading screens etc, i can't complain.
i've got an athlon tb 1.4, with 1gb pc 2100 ddr, and an 80gb 10,000 rpm drive.
crashing? the only thing that has crashed on me is the module creation tools. games never crashed on me.
but like i said, it is definitely a game for a specific crowd. some people will love it, some wont. it IS a good game though.
:p

Baltar
06-28-2002, 08:16 PM
i've been getting crashes when I get in dialogue with another
main character and it zooms in. To avoid the crash, I just zoom out whenever i talk to people.

stormgod
06-29-2002, 03:24 AM
I downgraded from 3 versions of my ati drivers and now it works just fine , but it seems so stupid to downgrade drivers :confused:
anyway its really a good game :)

spellcaster
06-29-2002, 06:43 PM
I voted for the game being insulting. I've paid 40 pounds for it, installed it all and it wont play, why? it wont see the 'play' disk - nice of them to tell you this is CD 1, but, all the same it doesnt work, so it can go jump.

Its going back to the store.

Shawn319
06-30-2002, 02:25 AM
The play disk is actually disk 3 (it says "Play" on it).

spellcaster
06-30-2002, 08:44 AM
Typical, the docs I have and their website said CD1! (Just like it said the code was INSIDE the cover not on the back cover)

I have played for a bit, now I got stuck on geometry, and found that for some reason my last 2 saves cause it to crash.. Marvelous....

Shawn319
06-30-2002, 08:45 AM
did you hit the Update button? there has been 2 or 3 patches so far.

spellcaster
06-30-2002, 09:31 AM
Yup, I have 1.19 or whatever..

I was just having another go (decided to loose the 1 hour rather than start again) and was about to be killed by something and so hit quit.. and, it hung the whole thing..

I have more than surpased their minium, eveything else (including EQ after luclin was first launched) ran ok on this PC.. its just this.. grr.

Problem is if they dont fix the bugs a) I cant get my money back after 10 days and b) I'll be so fed up with trying it will go in the corner.

Baltar
07-03-2002, 08:17 PM
This game is notorius for crashing. Checked out the forum and many others are having similar lock ups. From what I've seen higher end computers seem to run longer (3 to 4 hours at a time). I've noticed when I run the game at a lower res, like 800x600, the game run's considerable longer until it locks.
Number of extreme solutions are out there (removing a stick of ram, downgrading drivers (sound and video), re_installing) all
of which are completely absurd buy they say work.
From my own development experience this has all the symptoms
of a memory leak. And the developers at infogrames and bioware
are to arrogant to acknowledge it.
They are however working on there secureROM issue we could
be a culprit as well. Why should we the consumer, bend over
backwards modifying and QAing their product for their lazy
management team?
Oh well, for now their just saying upgrade the drivers to the
latest version and kill all external programs. That would include
mysql all you eqemu users. So the only two programs running
in your ctrl-alt-delete menu are systray and explorer. lower
your res to 800x600 and play with the texture sizes.
Goddamn I wrote a fricken book. Well this better add one to
my post tally.

Baltar
07-03-2002, 08:18 PM
i'm to lazy to proof read that garbage