PDA

View Full Version : Fix for error messages in windows vista

SilentPrayer79
12-23-2008, 01:43 PM
Here is how to get georges tools to work with windows vista.

1. go to georges home page and download the MYODBC Drivers and install them.
2. In the program you donloaded edit the db.ini file with your db information.
3. find the register_ocx.bat file *most of the time its in the resources folder* and right click the file and choose edit.
4. in the file you will see for example: regsvr32.exe a.ocx /s you have to enter the full path to the the regsvr32.exe file so it should look like this: c:\windows\system32\regsvr32.exe then you must enter full path to the a.ocx file so it should look something like this: C:\GeorgeS_Eqemu_Files\resources\a.ocx and you can delete the /s it is not needed and also if you have the path wrong it will tell you or it will justt say it succeeded. The whole thing should look like this:
c:\windows\system32\regsvr32.exe C:\GeorgeS_Eqemu_Files\resources\a.ocx
now you need to do this with every ocx file listed in the register_ocx.bat file. After your done save your work then exit the file.
5. next right click the file and create a shortcut to it on your desk top.
6. right click the shortcut you just made on the desktop and choose properties.
7. on the properties screen under the general tab choose advanced.
8. On the advanced Properties screen choose Run as administrator. then click ok. next click apply then ok.
9. double click the shortcut you made on your desktop and let the program run and it will install the driver paths you should get pop ups with every succeeded install if you get and error message make sure your paths are correct in the register_ocx.bat file and also make sure you entered your data base information correctly in the db.ini file.
10. run your tool and enjoy.

Yeormom
03-29-2009, 06:25 PM
I did attempt to evalulate some of the GeorgeS tools but it would appear the tool does not support the MySQL port number in the hostname field or there are other problems that do not surface since all that is reported is a simple "failed to connect" message.

trevius
03-29-2009, 06:37 PM
If your db.ini file is set correctly, make sure you also installed the MyODBC drivers from GeorgeS' site. And lastly, you need to make sure to run the register_ocx.bat file in the resources directory. If you haven't seen the awesomeness that is Georges' tool suite, then I promise that any extra work to get it running will be well worth-while!

Yeormom
03-29-2009, 09:16 PM
I obviously did my due diligence before giving up. I even tested the settings with a User DSN and it connects fine. The system DSN is in place for the tools to use but they always report a failure so I'm dumbing it down to not being able to set the MySQL port number. The ocx libraries tested fine.

trevius
03-29-2009, 10:01 PM
Are you using a different MySQL port than 3306?

Yeormom
05-13-2009, 11:38 PM
Yeah. I did try adding a port= directive at the time but no go.