PDA

View Full Version : Can a Linux VPS host eqemu?

etogre
12-28-2008, 06:25 AM
Just hoping for a moderately decent population (about 20 players online at a time MAX-PEAK for now), so shelling out for a dedicated server isn't the greatest plan for now. Would a Virtual Private Server work for my needs? Anyone used one to host emu?

trevius
12-28-2008, 06:30 AM
If that is something similar to VMWare, yes it can be done. It would depend on how much you are using the PC for other things on how well the server would perform. If you are planning to play EQ on it and run the server on it, you would need some pretty decent PC stats to have good stability with a decent number of players on it. Otherwise, the server performance could be degraded.

etogre
12-28-2008, 06:44 AM
VPS are basically like 5-10 people on the same box, and then there's like seperate "partitions" per user. Here's the specs

DUAL QUAD Core Harpertown E5420's
MINIMUM 32 GB RAM PER SERVER

So you and all the other people share the specs, and the more you pay for your VPS the more you get to use.

The main thing I need to know, is approximately how much RAM EQEmu uses, since there's VPS with 384mb RAM with 1,152 Burst RAM (RAM you get when needed, but you aren't allowed to always use that much). Then there's also VPS with 1,024mb RAM and 3,072 Burst RAM... but is almost as expensive as just paying for a dedicated server monthly.

Also approximately how much bandwith per month would I need?

Getting the memory usage is key, because if you use too much memory the host will suspend you.

trevius
12-28-2008, 05:44 PM
If you are planning to have more than just 1 character, you will definitely want 1024MB of RAM. Unless there is a good reason not to, your best option would be to just run the server on your own home PC. As long as you have an ok upload speed (128k+), you should be able to get an ok number of players on it. If your upload bandwidth is 1MB or higher, you can get about 100 or so on the server.

etogre
12-28-2008, 09:35 PM
My home PC is a laptop, and my bandwith is limited. What's the bandwith usage for a typical month of your server?

trevius
12-28-2008, 09:58 PM
LOL, my server has a decent number of players on it around the clock, and my best guess is somewhere around 3-5GB per day upload. If you are expecting a peak of 20 players, you could probably expect less than 1GB or so per day.