PDA

View Full Version : Plans

KLS
04-02-2009, 10:51 PM
I'd like to take a moment while the server is up to give out the plans for the near future.

We're going to be moving the current website off this box and onto it's own web hosting solution. Right now the issues with the server come from apache basically. You might notice when I kill it, the LS tends to run smoothly.

Wont be able to kill apache totally, there will still need to be a way for people to setup new accounts and manage(change the passwords) their old ones; but with only a few pages the resources and impact should be fairly minimal.

We also have a more up to date login in the works at the moment and when it becomes fairly mature we may deploy it instead of the current one. I haven't decided what to do with it beyond that but it will be actively developed, and wont invalidate older servers, any server that currently runs will be able to connect.

We also want to revamp the wiki to not only be something that is not a safe haven for bots but to be something that has a more coherent flow and information will be easier to find. This will probably be a work in progress after we move the site to it's own server.

That's the basic plans for now, anything else beyond that is just speculation and we'll cross that bridge when we get there. =p

PathToEternity
04-02-2009, 11:01 PM
I am looking forward to all of this KLS (wiki is very good news), thank you for the update.

Yeormom
04-02-2009, 11:14 PM
I haven't decided what to do with it beyond that but it will be actively developed, and wont invalidate older servers, any server that currently runs will be able to connect.
So it sounds like the requirement for all players to run another client in order to connect to the login server has been removed, which is good news!

trevius
04-03-2009, 05:18 AM
We also want to revamp the wiki to not only be something that is not a safe haven for bots but to be something that has a more coherent flow and information will be easier to find. This will probably be a work in progress after we move the site to it's own server.

I think the general consensus is to convert the wiki to mediawiki instead of wakka. Unfortunately, that will involve quite a bit of work to get everything moved over and to convert every page to look nice in mediawiki. I have already copied a ton of it to the mediawiki I recently added to the Storm Haven site. I haven't converted the layout of many pages yet, but I am trying to get at least some of them done myself for now. At least whatever I get done should be useful if we do finally decide to replace the wakka wiki with a mediawiki one.

I have the new Storm Haven wiki mixed in there as well, but here is what I have so far from the EQEmu wiki:

http://stormhavenserver.com/mediawiki-1.14.0/index.php?title=Main_Page

Even though it isn't very pretty on many of the EQEmu pages yet. It might be useful to people while this website is being moved to a new host.

PathToEternity
04-03-2009, 09:15 AM
Yes, that looks better to me; I would probably even take the time to go through and edit the pages to make them readable.

As much as we scream "search first search teh forums first!!!1" the underlying truth is that there is so much information collected here, that trying to sort through it all is like trying to sort through your neighbor's attic. And a large portion of it is outdated, because all of it collects on the forums. So a working, nice looking wiki could possibly help; I guess we'll see.

So_1337
04-03-2009, 10:06 AM
I've never done any wiki editing before, but I'm completely OCD and would be more than willing to help organize a new one. I'm kind of excited, actually. I like the thought of a bit of cleaning around here, these forums have been around so long that there's just information overkill, and not all of it is current or usable. It'd be nice to make things more user friendly.

Kayen
04-03-2009, 12:07 PM
KLS,

Are we going to try and keep the eqemu website down, or only up at certain times till this is resolved.

Having the LS actually be stable for the last few days has been a nice relief. I think most people would rather have a working LS in the mean time then have forum access.

cavedude
04-03-2009, 12:11 PM
So it sounds like the requirement for all players to run another client in order to connect to the login server has been removed, which is good news!

This was never a requirement.

Yeormom
04-03-2009, 10:50 PM
Well I'm glad it was just a nasty IRC rumor then.

Yeormom
04-03-2009, 11:05 PM
Actually, someone has pointed out that it was not a rumor but a quote from Trevius on the login server update.
My understanding of it so far is that there will be a new app that clients will download and setup to use for handling at least part of the Login Process.
Source: http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/showthread.php?t=27794

trevius
04-03-2009, 11:44 PM
Yes, and as CD quickly pointed out in that thread, "my understanding" of it wasn't completely accurate :P

Belfedia
04-04-2009, 07:07 AM
Seriously, think of using "http://www.lighttpd.net/" instead of apache, this software is tremendous :)
I use it since 6 month for my web hosting and never see any problem.

Sylaei
04-04-2009, 05:52 PM
I am game to edit the wiki or forums or whatever you want/need done. I haven't done any php programming but I have done just about every other kind. So I'd be willing to help with that if it is needed. Anyway tell me what to do and I'll do it. My free time will be limited untill mid-may (finishing up some classes). Let me know how I can help.

Aergad
04-10-2009, 03:22 AM
just a suggestion but why not simply take the wiki itself down rather then apache or take the forums down or make a new database for the forums that is empty for the time being or just clean out the forums database of all the old junk in the archives.

Its just a suggestion but seems kinda like a far better solution then turning apache off where noone can even register a new ls acct or access information for their servers or anything like that.

core
04-28-2009, 12:33 PM
Awesome to see you guys still at it. I played around alot back in the old Hackerquest days. Happy to be apart of this now, thx alot guys!!!

Looking for ward to the new login.

/Mike
"Happy EQ'er"

Stappy
05-02-2009, 11:50 AM
wtf are you guys talking about? wikkity, wikity wack?