PDA

View Full Version : Odd request, I know, but...

steve
04-24-2009, 09:40 AM
Is there a simple, empty zone that I can use with the client for taking screenshots of NPC models? If not, anyone up to the task of throwing one together for me, please? It doesn't have to be huge. Maybe the size of cshome, or so.

A zone with a solid background color, such as gray, with a transparent floor, with nothing spawned in it would be ideal. Perhaps an invisible light source so the zone isn't so dark, too. I'm taking screenshots of models and then taking them into Photoshop. Then I'm removing the background with the magic eraser tool set to a tolerance of 1 so it doesn't erase any of the model and leaves clean edges. This is for a personal scrapbook project that I'm working on.

I plan to use it with an unused zone, such as arttest, that loads with any client. Is this even possible?

Tabidzukare
04-24-2009, 12:21 PM
I am by no means knowledgable so please take what I saw with a grain of salt.

If you want a clean render of the models themselves, why go through all that trouble?? You can easily extract the models themselves and render them by themselves. Also, with this method you can style their pose exactly as you'd like though it would take a bit more setup time and it's assuming you have basic 3D modelling skills... (which by the way I don't even have yet.. I can at least assemble a model)

I highly recommend Kaiyodo's Model Viewer available from GeorgeS's website for this task. It allows you to open an S3D, load the appropriate .WLD file within it, and select model components to extract WITH SKINS!! (If you export as .ms). Then you just import the items in Max position them how you like and run a render and take a shot.. you can see a messed up version (prior to me finding this out) in my 'MTL Information' post, also on this board.

As a side note if we can both figure out WindCatcher's DZoneConverter tool.. then I think it would be the best for us both.. it's able to view wires of the animations used in the game, in addition to the static model parts.. brilliant program really, I just can't figure out how to export the actordefinitions, just the spritedef's. Anyway, I probably didn't help much but I wanted to at least share what I knew in case anything might get you going in the right direction!

Best of luck and,
Kindest Regards~~

steve
04-24-2009, 03:19 PM
I tried Kaiyodo's Model Viewer, but it showed the model all smashed together... I don't have 3dsmax to try it out...

Tabidzukare
04-25-2009, 05:18 AM
Hi there Steve,

I've been digging up dirt on Kaiyodo and his exploits, it's like uncovering an ancient legend or something, quite entertaining! Regardless, this mystical Kaiyodo found out that in chequip.s3d ALL of the games character and NPC models were stored there.. it's a gigantic archive. The newer .s3d's contain those busted up static images and before Kaiyodo left this scene he was working on (but never completed) solving that problem himself. The implosion results from him not knowing where bone structures were stored in the newer .s3d's.

Now, if you'll look, you'll notice you probably don't have a chequip.s3d... Well I've looked around and the reason is because long long ago model data was stored in an unencrypted format by verant in .spk files and textures in .dds files. The .spk files were plain text and easy to manipulate like .obj files, however this old original format of storage only exists afaik in the kunark release of the game.. which is supposedly where you'll find a chequip.s3d file. Because of the ease of manipulating .spk files the model viewer can only display them correctly.. not the newer conversions distributed amongst the .s3d files. This is why Kaiyodo's viewer works off of the chequip.s3d for model viewing.

I'm in the processing of getting a copy of this chequip.s3d myself.

Once you've obtained a copy here's what you do.

Open Kaiyodo's Model Viewer
Select 'chequip.s3d' from the left-most dialogue box
Click 'Load from .s3d' at the bottom of said Dialogue Box
Select the .spk file of your choosing to see in the viewer
Extract the model to .POV format OR .MS format with skins
Load the object in the program of your choice
Render the object

That my friend I hope works for you.. in a few hours I'll be posting in my .MTL Information thread some exciting screen shots of zone art that worked using similar guidelines. Also, I could suggest you download the 3dsMax Trial from AutoDesk's site.. it is completely fully featured and you could easily export the .ms file from the model viewer, and load it up with (incredible isnt it..) skeleton and everything in tact for animating if you should choose. That way you'd have a month to get your work done because who can actually afford 3ds who's not in that field??

The beauty of living in Korea is that with a PC Room, every time I go in the install of the trial is fresh, so I have it indefinitely. Either way, if you're not a fan of pirating (as I myself am not generally) the trial is a great way to get some work done now while you work on other things in say.. povRay.

Any more issues let me know.. if I find chequip.s3d I'll let you know what release I was able to get it from and then you could go about acquiring it!

Kindest Regards~

steve
04-25-2009, 01:15 PM
I can probably find the chequip.s3d on my Kunark installation CD...

But won't this only include info for that expansion? It certainly doesn't have model data from the more recent expansions...

Tabidzukare
04-25-2009, 08:53 PM
Quite right Steve,

While I still don't have access to it, the most that it could include is all PC/NPC models up through Kunark.

I know that this is not a quick solution for you, but I am waiting on a reply from WindCatcher to add export to .POV or .MS into his DZoneConverter, and in the mean time I'm looking for how to add those features myself. I couldn't even estimate how long it would take me to add the features, but it is in the works. The keys are there for us to take, we just have to know how to take them. If you know any sort of programming whatsoever we could try to tackle the problem together.

Kindest Regards~~

GeorgeS
04-30-2009, 11:25 PM
I never really knew Kaiyodo, but back then in circa 2002-2003 when I found this site (eqemu) , he was gone, but made these cool utilities. I was into the models then (for 3d max) and made dozens years later. I worked with Windcatcher for years since on several projects. I feel he too may be working on other projects and has a busy schedule.

GeorgeS

Tabidzukare
05-01-2009, 03:32 AM
Hi George,

Thanks so much for taking the time to post here. I can't even begin to imagine how busy you all are. I am sure that WindCatcher too has his plate completely full :).

@Steve
I've since found a way to at least extract the zone's graphical data with it's textures as well as all weapons and armor graphics. It's still not model's for you, but at the minimum if you're interested in getting the armor textures and weapons, that's easy enough utilizing Kaiyodo's 'Model Viewer' that's bundled with a broken version of the HQ ZoneConverter available on GeorgeS's site. All you do it move over to the globel_equipX.s3d files and select individual models. Export to .POV or .MS as you'd like, and make sure you've previously extracted the textures from the appropriate .s3d (detailed in my above posting).

At least you can view all the items in a 3d Environment, however if you just want static images of the items GeorgeS himself has a fantastic item viewer, which has all the sorts of images you might be wanting as far as showing each weapon and various other items.

I hope any of this information is of use to you -__-.
Once again thanks to GeorgeS for even responding, it's absolutely incredible the tools you've created and I personally can't say enough thanks for the fact that their free.. Your tradeskill editor and quest tools are absolutely brilliant just as WindCatchers OpenZone program is. I only hope one day my programming knowledge is at a level to where I can contribute on a similar level instead of just using these invaluable resources for the starry eyed EverQuester.

Kindest Regards~~

OrisonSeven
05-03-2009, 04:22 PM
Hey,
So, I know its been a while since my team has posted anything on here, there are a fre other threads we have mingled within, but anyways, we have been modeling tons of objects, zones, character/mob models, and so on and have a pretty decient library. So, to the point, after a long process of attacking the Simple Client with no avail, we decided to wait to use it for our fully 100% custom server/game, and decided to run with the current eqemu build.
I have been searching across the boards to see if there was a way to export the existing zones, mostly the old originals (gfay, freeport, commons, karanas, and so on) in order to revamp them while being able to build from a pre existing starting point. In other words, using tools such as 3ds max, maya, and Zbrush, we want to take the existing zones and overhall them without starting from scratch so as to keep the original feel and so on. We do not intend to use the textures, or have any of the objects remain unchanged/replaced with out own, (so as to avoid any legal stuff) but having a view of the existing to use as a static guide would be really helpful. Is there a way to do so? if textures are included and such, that is ok, but not necessary, just the structural layout.
Thanks for any input, and felt that this could be included within this thread as i dont know if Kay's model viewer (the smashed view of the zone) is the limit of export possibilities. If it is, then assembling the zone from such files would prove more of a task then actually starting from scratch.

*Side note, We currently have 5 zones in the works, all 100% custom, the only issues we have run into are the limitations of 3dsmax export (64k faces) which sucks especially after using a program for sculpting (Zbrush) where the poly count can be daunting (1 zone we created had to be re envisioned as the ground terrain mesh was 1.2 million polys but would account for the overall area of all of faydwer plus more and breaking it into pieces simply wasnt part of the vision). ok, seems like its time for me to start another thread as I am WAY off topic at this point. Sorry

Tabidzukare
05-04-2009, 10:23 AM
Hey there,

I know I think I derailed this thread a bit. My apologies to Steve. My final post here then is this:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3407/3473565886_19046a42c9_m.jpg

If that's what you're trying to do let me know and I'll let you know exactly what to do.

Kindest Regards~

OrisonSeven
05-04-2009, 02:15 PM
thats freeport correct. If u can import that into max then that is exactly what im looking for. Also to anyone who is lookin for some custom zones or content, If u give me/my team a general idea of what u want and whats in it, along with some sketches, we would be more then happy to create/build the zone for you and give you the max files/textures used for free. We are currently a little busy with the current zones we are creating, but if people want those once the screens are up, we may give those away as well tho that is more up to the team as a whole.

Tabidzukare
05-04-2009, 11:57 PM
Hi Orison,

Ok, I thought so, I just posted a quick guide up with links and downloads for your use. If you need more information or run into difficulties let me know and I'll clear it up in that thread. Sorry again to Steve for such blatant hi-jacking.

Kindest Regards~~