PDA

View Full Version : Invisibility is broken

yizuman
10-22-2009, 01:58 AM
Both the spell and potions (regular invis and Gather Shadows) is severely broken since the latest PEQ database was release less than a week ago.

They break at random, sometimes 48 seconds, sometimes immediately after cast, sometimes 10 seconds. The worse has happened it broke in Kael during the run to WL. All my toons died as a result.

Spell castings as well as potions have the exact same problem.

It's not staying at the exact timed for 20 minutes.

I hope this gets fixed.

Thank you

Yiz

ChaosSlayerZ
10-22-2009, 02:25 AM
As evil as this may sound, its now officially "working as intended" =)

it was fixed to match randomness of invis on LIVE
at least that was devs are saying =P

Shin Noir
10-22-2009, 04:18 AM
They changed invis reliability, yep. http://www.projecteq.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8875
Those spells aren't supposed to be on a fixed 20 minute duration timer. They have a potential of lasting that long, but since it uses an effect id of 12.
Even on live: http://lucy.allakhazam.com/spell.html?id=522&source=Live
http://lucy.allakhazam.com/spell.html?id=1406&source=Live, they can potentially break early.

If it was fixed duration, it would use the effect id 314
http://lucy.allakhazam.com/spell.html?id=6120&source=Live
There's a lot of talk of this on the PEQ forums, and most players imply it's horridly broken.
However, I reviewed latest source along with testing it a few times, and I don't really see where the complaints are coming from. Probably just bad luck with the randomizer. Most people's theories on how it breaks too early are semi inaccurate, saying chances increase substantially each tick, but their math is figuring each tick the chance builds up, when it stays the same chance each tick, so it's actually quite a bit less than they theorize.

Their problem is that they are relying it as it was prenerf, boxing multiple players and your chances increase that much more with every character you're boxing, as a 2% chance x 6 players becomes 12% chance and that's every 6 secs, plus you have to get it on each toon, plus you got to travel with each toon, which you will need invis for a long time to travel. That's why it seems so unreliable. But that's really how it should be until you get a char who can cast fixed invis..! If it lasted 10 seconds it wouldn't really be a wipe scenario. Your best bet may be to travel each character one by one and if invis starts fading find a safe spot, as 2 ticks is plenty of time to do so.

I think they should consider putting this as a rule, so server owners can turn it on/off easily with a simple rule tweak.

And I think they should consider doing some specialty tweaks to improved version invises, perhaps make them have a minimum duration of like 1 minute at least, to make them better than normal invis.. But, that is purely speculation on how live may differenciate the spells. It's really all about getting fixed invis spells on at least one character to cast on your crew, it's the only way to go reliably. And yes, that's how it was on live.

Ever tried to run 6 players through kael with gather shadows and improved invis on live EQ? I did. And your horror story is my memories of it. You had to be smart, and watch each screen and play defensively to ensure nobody's invis broke.

case SE_Invisibility:
case SE_InvisVsAnimals:
case SE_InvisVsUndead:
if(ticsremaining > 3)
{
if(!IsBardSong(spell_id))
{
double break_chance = 2.0;
if(caster)
{
break_chance -= (2 * (((double)caster->GetSkill(DIVINATION) + ((double)caster->GetLevel() * 3.0)) / 650.0));
}
else
{
break_chance -= (2 * (((double)GetSkill(DIVINATION) + ((double)GetLevel() * 3.0)) / 650.0));
}

if(MakeRandomFloat(0.0, 100.0) < break_chance)
{
BuffModifyDurationBySpellID(spell_id, 3);
}
}
}

yizuman
10-22-2009, 10:28 AM
So with that code, my friend who runs the private server can turn that random thing off so it stays a fixed duration instead?

CR sucks in my not so humbled opinion...

yizuman
10-22-2009, 11:01 AM
I had my cleric buy 10 invis potions at the price of just a little over 100pp and 7 out of 10 it broken on way to CR in Kael from GD by the PoK book.

One cast, it broke immediately

Second cast, it broke 10 seconds later

third cast it broke over a minute

fourth cast it book 48 seconds later

fifth cast it broke immediately

6th cast lasted 5 mins

7th cast it broke right from when I passed the guards in the outside archway in EW just before the Kael zoneline.

Then I did the exp recov inside kael and camped. No way in hell I'm gonna try to get back to the WL zoneline after leading my cleric on the trip before last when both my necro and cleric's invis broke midway inside Kael on the cleric's CR run.

Sorry, but this random crap is jacked too high.

yizuman
10-22-2009, 11:08 AM
btw, people been demanding that FD breaks and Invis breaks, those imo, is seriously too addicted to negative emotions or gets off watching people get pissed off.

Sounds like these people misses sleeping in Abashi and or Absor's bed.

ChaosSlayerZ
10-22-2009, 11:57 AM
you can always use Improved Invis - it has garanteed fixed duration
specialy if you running your own server- you can make yourself any spell you like

yizuman
10-22-2009, 12:27 PM
you can always use Improved Invis - it has garanteed fixed duration
specialy if you running your own server- you can make yourself any spell you like

Ok I remember Improved Invis, what lvl is that? All my toons is lvl 42.

Is there also an improved Gather Shadows as well?

cavedude
10-22-2009, 01:08 PM
Invis WAS broken. It was fixed back in 1013 which isn't available for download in binary form yet but of course the source is available to compile. At least, I have heard no complaints since that revision went Live on TGC.

yizuman
10-22-2009, 02:07 PM
Invis WAS broken. It was fixed back in 1013 which isn't available for download in binary form yet but of course the source is available to compile. At least, I have heard no complaints since that revision went Live on TGC.

When will the binary be available?

Yiz

yizuman
10-22-2009, 07:47 PM
Bah, this sux. My friend is the one that is running the private server and he's nervous about compiling, so he's gonna wait until the binary version comes out so he can update his server.

Can't play with the way invis is now. I see Improved Invisibility is only for Wizzies and Ench. What about Gather Shadows? Is there an improved version of that? If not, I guess we're screwed.

cavedude
10-22-2009, 07:51 PM
I'll see about getting binaries up tomorrow or this weekend.

yizuman
10-22-2009, 07:55 PM
Yep there it is http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/spell.html?spell=1625

At lvl 42, lvl 55 is a long way off, is that a fixed duration?

I don't understant why EVERYTHING has to be live like, I think there should be some exceptions.

yizuman
10-22-2009, 07:56 PM
I'll see about getting binaries up tomorrow or this weekend.

Ok great, I'll let him know.

Many thanks

Yiz

joligario
10-22-2009, 08:23 PM
KLS compiled Rev. 1036 and posted it a few hours ago.

ChaosSlayerZ
10-22-2009, 09:16 PM
Yep there it is http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/spell.html?spell=1625

At lvl 42, lvl 55 is a long way off, is that a fixed duration?

I don't understant why EVERYTHING has to be live like, I think there should be some exceptions.

well such is the PEQ motto. But again on your own server you can simply change the level at which you can use any spell- so simply set Improve Invis in DB to be usable at whatever level you like - no compiling required

Stambo
11-05-2009, 03:21 AM
on a similar note I been meaning to ask btw, My monks FD Fails Waaaayyy to often at max skill, i never failed that much at FD on live at max skill, is that intentional or is there any way you could adjust that ? seems like every 4 to 5 FD's he fails, on live I might go 20 FD's before 1 fail even then that was rare, mind u that was at max skill.