PDA

View Full Version : Dynamic Item Creator

Akkadius
11-23-2010, 02:27 AM
Hi Akkadius,

Let me know what ideas you have for the new proposed tool. Regarding diablo editor, let's start a new discussion so others can add their opinions as well.

I'm open for ideas

GeorgeS

As far as the Diablo Editor, it is great conceptually but could probably use more work as far as filtering criteria. Now right away that might sound nit picky but that is not it at all, you do great work.

I will get back to the Diablo Editor, possibly in another thread. But I want to keep this focused on a similar tool. One that would possibly be separate from the Items Editor.

But anyways the idea behind this would be to streamline processes, similar to most of what your tools do. I do a lot of streamline scripting/programming for work I just don't have time to sit down and look into ODBC projects with what I have on my hands right now. Let me start with some ideas for this:

Dynamic Item Creator (Similar to the Diablo Item Randomizer)

What I envision for this tool is to give a ton of dynamic creation options. Having quite a bit of it giving preset options as far as creating sets of armor. So I could work with you to develop math and queries for this, but the idea would be to make items at a much more simplified, yet still very custom fashion.

Example A:

I want to create sets of gear for all classes, Leather, Plate, Chain and of course Silk. You can easily copy/paste via a DB program and throw them into another table to reassign ID's and run queries against them to change icons shapes etc. But where this would really come in handy is once again, having presets.

I want to create the Plate set. Have an option for being able to set the naming convention for the set: Prefix, Main name, Suffix.

Prefix = Emblazoned Plate
Suffix = of Fennin Ro
Main Name = Specific to the slot and armor type

So for example it would generate a naming convention as so

Emblazoned Plate Boots of Fennin Ro
Emblazoned Plate Leggings of Fennin Ro
Emblazoned Plate Breastplate of Fennin Ro
Emblazoned Plate Gauntlets of Fennin Ro
Emblazoned Plate Wristguard of Fennin Ro

Settings Icons
Then there would be another preset option for icons for plate, being able to select icons from pre-kunark, Velious, Luclin, DoDH etc. etc. we would have to basically library a shit ton of things but it would make anyones lives easier who runs a server period.

Maybe for bigger batches you could make the option to set the icon era randomized next to each item slot.

Setting the Range Statistics
Then you can credentialize min max on this entire set, or make a preset option to scale to PEQ standards based on level approximately. Then that would auto calculate a min-max for the level based on PEQ-like formulas (in otherwords, live-like).

Live Preview (Of course!)
Then have another option to set the difficulty of the type of loot and it will give a general live preview of the min max of the set that you are about to create.

Setting the Slots in which will be created in the Armor Set

So in this case you would do your typical slots:
Chest, Legs, Wrist, Helm, Boot, Arms etc. you would be able to set the option for those.

You could probably elaborate on how much better you want to streamline a process like this but I am kind of at a blank right now and getting very sleepy.

Exporting the Created Set to the Clipboard

Once you are done making the set you could export summarized information into a format in which you could paste into Excel and then organize your perl scripts depending on how you want to go about using the data afterwards.

EXAMPLE B:

Let's say I want to make a batch of weapons, you could once again set the amount of weapons you want created and it there would be a little parenthesis by the amount of weapons you want to make, saying something like (7 typically covers most class weapon types). That will cut down on decision making processes to auto generate weapons.

Same as mentioned above, and once again I could help with lists and id's etc to make this easier; but you could preset the batches you make by setting icon and physical graphic by expansion era. and then seeing small iconic previews next to each one for icon and small in game graphic preview (This would depend on how the program formats and outputs this information).

Then like mentioned above you could make a naming convention. And then to elaborate on the idea now that I just thought of it. Maybe the list of what is being populated could auto populate as a live preview and if you don't like a specific name of one you could change it, or (reroll the item) and then the item chunk is deleted and another one is auto generated and put back into the list as a chunk of preview data, whether it be like a square with the most crucial information.

Anyways I am really starting to doze off here so hopefully this gives you an idea of the flow I am getting at. Streamlining as much as you could possibly want or need in making items. And honestly making specific custom items is probably the most tedious thing when it comes to development when you have many more aspects to fry at the same time. This would prove to be a huge tool for many I would believe. Let me know what you think Georges and anyone else who reads this.

I personally appreciate your work man.

blackdragonsdg
11-23-2010, 05:20 PM
I like this idea.

When generating the new item id's you could make it work in a similar manner as the npc/loot editor....where you can use next available id or choose a custom starting point for the id range. The ability to generate armor sets with sequential id's would be very helpful.

Akkadius
11-26-2010, 01:53 AM
Georges! What do you think!?

GeorgeS
11-27-2010, 04:03 PM
Definitely a good idea, but a daunting task to say the least

I have read it over several times, and then thought about how to implement such a tool. I am debating it over.

Because the items table has many fields, populating them correctly will be a daunting task. I would suggest a stand alone tool, and starting simple.

GeorgeS

Akkadius
11-27-2010, 04:25 PM
Definitely a good idea, but a daunting task to say the least

I have read it over several times, and then thought about how to implement such a tool. I am debating it over.

Because the items table has many fields, populating them correctly will be a daunting task. I would suggest a stand alone tool, and starting simple.

GeorgeS

Absolutely stand alone. No fancy GUI. I am not saying you do it all, I would definitely be down for populating fields and collecting all the information and working with you on this type of tool. I think it would be incredibly useful.

Keep brainstorming it and mulling it over and let me know.