PDA

View Full Version : Couple linux questions

DeletedUser
10-12-2002, 11:46 PM
Few questions for anyone who might know more about coding on linux than me. =)

1. If i compiled a minilogin on redhat 8.0, would it work for other people if posted the binary?

2. I just coded for Win32 a DLL so that all the zone servers on one machine can use shared memory for the items. Saves a crapload of ram when you're running more than one zone. Is there an equivilent for linux?

Ztaar
10-13-2002, 12:19 AM
1. There really isn't a way to make sure that your binary will run on other comps... If it's compile using only the standard libs that are included in RH8.0, it will run on other RH8.0 comps, unless you've compiled it with static libs (= compiled the lib functions into your binary), in which case it should run on most Gnu/Linux's.

2. The Gnu/Linux equivalent to DLL is called so (shared object). I am not a guru in making .so's, so don't expect me to explain how you do it :)

kathgar
10-13-2002, 02:14 AM
1. Statically linked libs, yes.. dyanmic.. ehh would work if people had the right versions and such(fuck I shoudln't post when I wake up.. gcc -static is what you need)
2. You should do it with spells too.. they are a couple of megs each zone server, anyways.. on linux there should be a way to do it similarly.. not shared objects.. well not specifcally as they are just libs basically, but shared memory
http://www.cs.cf.ac.uk/Dave/C/node27.html#SECTION002700000000000000000

DeletedUser
10-13-2002, 08:50 AM
Oh, i plan on doing it with spells and npctypes too, just items were the biggest hog so they got done first.

TheClaus
10-15-2002, 04:50 AM
I know this is probably a rewrite of minilogin but couldn't you do what the SEQ team does. Make a file that is not source but a binary and have the rest of it source. Like I said probably a rewrite but would allow you to maximize the many linux distros out there.

kathgar
10-15-2002, 06:00 AM
No, we could not. If we released a binary lib, people could still do what we are worried about.

TheClaus
10-15-2002, 07:52 AM
Ahhh good point. I keep forgetting about the whole evil intent that could happen.

DeletedUser
10-15-2002, 08:28 AM
After having a discussion with Quagmire about it, the capability of EQCrypto is far beyond the crypto dll for EthernalQuest. Too much of a security risk, he won't even give it to me to work on the chat server :P