PDA

View Full Version : Couple quick questions

Psiodon
11-23-2011, 03:49 AM
Starting to work on a server. Like the appeal of randomly creating items so looked at the diablo random item program. I have played on a couple servers that use it and it seems what you end up with is some decently modified items and a ton of broken junk items. Going through a fresh database I notice that ALOT of items are improperly tagged so they end up modified as a weapon or armor even tho its not. Most of the notes, bags, benefit items gyro cores etc are improperly labeled so they are being pulled into the software for editing. I realize this is not really a problem with your software but a database issue so on to my question.

Just starting out so bare with me..Is it safe to simply delete alot of these items from the database without breaking something major? Or, would it be worth the time to try and mass edit everything to where it should be even though Ill probably never use the stuff? Maybe there is some other reason these items are tagged wrong that I do not know about, but when I filter using a weapon itemtype and damage 0 I can see hundreds if not thousands of mislabeled items that are gonna show up in your program for mass editing. Would it be possible to put a check or filter for this into the program itself? Like if itemid = 0 and damage = 0 etc so that when you pull in all items the mislabled junk isnt loaded.

The other thing I noticed about the random items is that you honestly do not know if its junk or godly unless you inspect every single item carefully. Would there be a way to set up a name change like a prefix that could be added to the item based on its successful update? like cracked,worn,polished,flawless short sword. Based on the min max of the update. Like if min is 2 max is 10, no change would be cracked, 2-4 worn, 5-7 polished, 8-10 flawless.

I know that sounds alot like a previous thread on prefixes and suffixes and that you said it would be alot of trouble dealing with inputting data etc so many tables or information to change. It would be great when killing lots of mobs for those rare drops to be able to just hit alt and look at the name without scanning every single item that drops. What I mentioned of course wouldnt seem so troublesome on a "single" improvement, but if altering multiple stats it might be more difficult. Say the weapon only increased 2 damage but also increased 250hp or 100ac, but because of that classification would be labeled worn and discarded even though it might be really useful or an upgrade to someone. Maybe there could be a way to average the number of stats modified vs their success rate and then based the name on that overall average.

Anyway, love the work you do George and hope to see more from you in the future.

Psi

Psiodon
11-24-2011, 11:35 PM
My suggestions must suck lol, could you at least tell me if deleting useless items from the database will break anything crucial?

Psi

GeorgeS
11-26-2011, 01:42 PM
I would not delete anything in items as it will break lootdrops. The best thing is to actually create items you want and modify them as you wish. Import that list into D2 editor and apply to the NPC's. Now this will create cleaner drops, but they are world wide and not restricted to zone.
you can write the tags you want into the comment field, and then modify those that you want in items editor. What I am saying is you need to make these by hand and that's the best way. The D2 editor is not perfect, but does allow importing this list that's exported in the items editor.

Let me know if this makes sense - I can create a step by step if you need.

GeorgeS