PDA

View Full Version : Rain of Fear comes to EQEmu!

trevius
01-14-2013, 08:27 AM
As many people already know, the Rain of Fear client was recently added to Steam as well as a Free to Play (F2P) client download. The EQEmu Devs have been working on making this new client compatible with EQEmu and the majority of the work is already done. It shouldn't be much longer before the client is fully compatible (at least as much as Underfoot is anyway).

Both downloads are for the same client, so you can get RoF for free here:
Steam F2P Download Page (http://store.steampowered.com/app/205710/)

If you have Steam, you will be given the option to open it up in Steam and you can download it from there. If you do not have Steam installed, you will have the option to install it. Install it and then get the client from within Steam.
Once the client is downloaded, move the Everquest F2P folder to another location so it doesn't get patched by Steam at any point. Make sure not to start the client using the installed desktop icons. You do NOT want to patch the client to Live!
Then just follow the normal EQEmu client setup instructions here:
Getting Started Guide (http://www.eqemulator.org/wiki/wikka.php?wakka=PlayGuide)

It is recommended that everyone download this client now while it is available just in case something changes and it is no longer available or in case it gets patched on Steam, which would affect its compatibility with EQEmu.

As mentioned, there are still a few issues remaining to be worked out. You can follow the development of the new client here:
Steam RoF Development Tracking (http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=36104)

Until the client is completed, there won't be many servers that you will be able to use it on. Once completed, you should be able to access servers with the RoF client once they have updated their source code to use the new client. Until then, there are a few servers out there that already have the client enabled for testing purposes, so you can try those out to check out the new client.

I added a brief list of new RoF features to the wiki at the bottom here:
RoF Client Features (http://www.eqemulator.net/wiki/wikka.php?wakka=ClientFeatures)

broodling885
01-16-2013, 12:23 AM
Will the F2P client be able to run the project 1999 sever?

c0ncrete
01-16-2013, 12:37 AM
the answer to your question is in the post you posted a reply to.

trevius
01-16-2013, 03:06 AM
Will the F2P client be able to run the project 1999 sever?

Actually, the answer is mostly likely no/never. P99 forked their code off of EQEmu's code years ago, and I doubt they ever have plans to use any of the newer clients. The newer clients enable some client side features that P99 does not want on their server, so it can remain as classic as possible. As far as I know, the only client that will ever be compatible with P99 is Titanium, and I might have read something about SoF working for it as well, but I haven't really done any research on the subject.

For a more accurate answer to your question, you would have to ask it on the P99 forums, as EQEmu and P99 are not directly affiliated.

liquest
01-16-2013, 03:39 AM
I love the progress being made on the RoF client. Im having a blast playing with it. Now with RoF comes 32 slot bags and such. Would that be the total limit. or could server go nuts and be like BOOM sucker you got a 100 slot bag.

Also would there be anything i can do to help speed the process?

trevius
01-16-2013, 06:00 AM
I love the progress being made on the RoF client. Im having a blast playing with it. Now with RoF comes 32 slot bags and such. Would that be the total limit. or could server go nuts and be like BOOM sucker you got a 100 slot bag.

Also would there be anything i can do to help speed the process?

Yeah, I already made a 100 slot bag just to test it and it worked. I thought about trying a 1000 slot bag, but figured that might fill the whole screen lol. The larger bags and 2 new inventory slots won't be functional until we get our new slot system in place throughout all of the EQEmu source, which is quite a bunch of work. Uleat has been working away at it, but we will probably need a few devs working together to get this part of the project completed. I will probably start focusing more on that once the other RoF issues are all ironed out, because the new augmentation system will require the new slot system to be in place as well unless we write up a temporary system for it (which is kinda pointless since time would be better spent working on the new slot system I think).

There probably isn't much you can do to help other than to keep playing around with the client and reporting any issues you find that haven't already been reported. Most of the work that is left to be done is stuff that isn't very easy unless you are already familiar with the code related to getting new clients compatible.

liquest
01-16-2013, 06:37 AM
Haha I'm excited for 100 slot bags

one question I do have though is how the heros forge items are going to work and implemented. Also have you implemented clicked items within bags yet.

trevius
01-16-2013, 08:19 AM
Right now we are just trying to get all of the packet stuff worked out. Once that is done, stuff like empty bags inside bags and clicky items from inside bags can start getting added. Probably some of the new features won't be implemented anytime soon, but anything that is required to prevent bugs will be. For example, clicky items from inside bags are not required as they won't cause any bugs with the client, but allowing empty bags within bags may be required otherwise the client might get bugged if it allows it and the server doesn't.

Hero forge items haven't been started at all yet and would be one of those features that are not required, but would be nice to have at some point. Though, since it is a pretty cool feature, I imagine we will try to get them working once the important stuff is all done. Most likely, Hero's Forge armor models are going to require some database changes and changes to a few packets that deal with textures/models. I don't think it will be too hard once we figure it out.

c0ncrete
02-12-2013, 08:40 PM
F2P build may have changed to Jan 16.

http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=36476&page=2

Drajor
02-12-2013, 09:03 PM
Downloading now. Will report back.

trevius
02-12-2013, 10:36 PM
Yep, it was updated to the last Live build - Jan 16 2013 16:40:39. Must have just updated a couple days ago, cause it was fine when I downloaded a fresh copy last week.

Davood
02-12-2013, 10:47 PM
Is there a free/legitimate source for RoF that isn't going to change? or are we pretty much hooped (well i have the "good" version from before) if we haven't gotten the version that eqemu is developing against?

it's really too bad they don't have a disc install version of their expansions anymore :P

Davood
02-12-2013, 10:48 PM
I suppose if there is a new expansion after rof, that the steam download will become static for rof yes?

lerxst2112
02-12-2013, 10:56 PM
I suppose if there is a new expansion after rof, that the steam download will become static for rof yes?

Unlikely. You always patch to the latest version of the game when you play on live, so there's no reason to have someone download an old version and then have to patch over that if it is easy enough to keep the Steam version up to date.

Drajor
02-12-2013, 11:29 PM
Well this is going to be interesting for the devs who work with packets ><

trevius
02-13-2013, 12:07 AM
I already made it in game just using the .conf file I created for the Jan 16th patch for EQExtractor:

http://i.imgur.com/GcTF3pm.jpg

Obviously there are some issues. Only 1 item loaded in my inventory (which is interesting that it didn't crash the client as that normally would), and position updates are off so NPCs aren't where they should be. It is hard to test anything else atm due to the position updates being off so if I try to click a merchant or whatever I am actually too far away from it as far as the server is concerned even though it looks like it is right next to me.

I was afraid that Steam might start doing updates like this. The people on the EQ2Emu team mentioned that they did it for EQ2 on Steam already so I knew it was a possibility. Though, it obviously isn't updated every patch, more like every 2 months which isn't quite as bad.

The Steam updates are both good and bad. They are bad obviously because it means we need to figure out a good way to deal with it and more work to keep up with it. They are good because it should mean there is less chance EQ1 will drop off of Steam again for an extended amount of time like it did after UF. It is also easier to keep up if we are dealing with small patches more frequently as apposed to huge patches less often. It requires more regular work, which is annoying, but the work has more focus and should be able to be done in a couple nights in most cases.

I imagine Steam has the update system automated. It probably just does an update on a regular schedule like every 2 months. If we can figure out the exact schedule of it, we can be more prepared for it, which helps development and players (since players will know why their recently acquired Steam download doesn't work).

landofsand
05-14-2013, 10:37 PM
I don't wish to step out of line, but have there been any advancements in this endeavor over the last 3 months? It's much appreciated. :)

Uleat
05-14-2013, 11:36 PM
I'm about to open an inventory conversion branch, but don't expect an immediate result. Converting to a new inventory system requires a LOT
of work and collaboration.

I've spent the last 3-4 months trying to figure out how implement this change, but the best help came with the use of a good, code visualization
program.

Some of the current limitations we have with RoF:
- Cursor buffer
- New Inventory slot usage
- Bags greater than 10 in size
- New Augmentation slot
- Krono slot handling

I think I can address some of the other known issues at the same time, but any non-related changes will only delay the deployment time.

Once this system is in place, hopefully we can get some more of the features working properly..and the updated client build as well.

Don't think we've forgotten about it :)

nybot
05-30-2013, 06:03 PM
I'm really excited that the project might meet up with live!
Is there anything a non-coder could do to assist?

dtinyprince
07-26-2013, 11:15 PM
Question: If I download this from steam right now it is no longer going to work is it?

FievelMousey
07-26-2013, 11:32 PM
No it will no longer work been patched.

Uleat
07-26-2013, 11:34 PM
For the time being, that is correct.

There are plans to update support for the RoF v2 client, but I need to finish what I'm working on before they can do that.

Note:
v1 client - Build date Dec 2012
v2 client - Build date Feb 2013 (current Steam download)

rhyotte
07-27-2013, 06:01 PM
@Uleat,

Now you have me all curious as to what you are working on...

You seem to stay pretty busy. :)

Uleat
07-27-2013, 06:57 PM
I'm as busy as a tortoise crossing the state of Texas..not on I-40, mind you..but on I-10 :)

Nothing spectacular..just trying to break the Inventory system.

I seem to be making great headway in it too!

wolfwalkereci
07-27-2013, 08:20 PM
I'm as busy as a tortoise crossing the state of Texas..not on I-40, mind you..but on I-10 :)

Nothing spectacular..just trying to break the Inventory system.

I seem to be making great headway in it too!

Slacker. Break it better! :-)

Uleat
07-27-2013, 08:58 PM
I don't know how KLS feels about it, but Intellisense stopped talking to me weeks ago :)

trevius
07-29-2013, 05:12 AM
v2 client - Build date Feb 2013 (current Steam download)

They still have the same Feb client on Steam? I wonder if we get that version supported, will they update it again? I wouldn't doubt they are watching these forums for exactly that to happen lol. Maybe I can find a bit of time to get the V2 client caught up to at least the V1 client. Then, as soon as the new slot system is done, we would have a new working client at least until they update again :P

I may need to review Derision's system for inheriting patch files so we only have to adjust things that change on new client versions. That is, if I can find where he put that info (I think it was pastebin) and if I can find the time to actually work on it.

jsr
07-30-2013, 10:45 AM
I know I've said it before, but I reallly don't understand the business sense behind Sony not supporting an emulator friendly client. I'd be interested to know how many unique email accounts the emu has on file, as a significant percentage of them could represent a sale to Sony. Modding communities are a staple market for games past a certain age.

liquest
07-30-2013, 12:33 PM
They still have the same Feb client on Steam? I wonder if we get that version supported, will they update it again? I wouldn't doubt they are watching these forums for exactly that to happen lol. Maybe I can find a bit of time to get the V2 client caught up to at least the V1 client. Then, as soon as the new slot system is done, we would have a new working client at least until they update again :P

I may need to review Derision's system for inheriting patch files so we only have to adjust things that change on new client versions. That is, if I can find where he put that info (I think it was pastebin) and if I can find the time to actually work on it.

I dont know exactly if its updated for sure but i am going to say yes it is. With the 2nd part of the Rain of Fear expansion being released recently im sure the client itself has been updated.

Uleat
07-30-2013, 03:52 PM
Trev, they only update when you update the client support...

We've had that conversation! :smile:

Warking
09-25-2013, 12:16 AM
Would love to create a new server with RoF. Any progress or is there a place I can get a compatible version of the client to test with?

PM or reply

Kingly_Krab
09-25-2013, 07:04 AM
Would love to create a new server with RoF. Any progress or is there a place I can get a compatible version of the client to test with?

PM or reply
There is currently no way to legally acquire a compatible client, I apologize for the inconvenience.