PDA

View Full Version : Crash problem/zones

Wiz
02-13-2002, 03:44 AM
I'm having a problem where EQ crashes right when a char logs in. On the zoneserver it, says for example: Maps/halas.map cannot be found.

I've yet to see any .map files distributed with the emu, what is this?

Drewfus
02-13-2002, 05:44 AM
I am not sure if this is along the same lines but where are the maps located for EqAdmin????

In answer to your question though I believe you do not need those files with the current release of EqEmu. I am not possitive but I get that same message and I log right in and play.

Trumpcard
02-13-2002, 05:59 AM
Those messages are unrelated to the problem..

Wiz
02-13-2002, 07:28 AM
Okay then, so what can be the cause of the problem? It was working fine until I switched to new version, and no, I haven't patched...

It gives an illegal operation after selecting character and loading :/

madborg
02-13-2002, 07:51 AM
big bold disclaimer
I haven't installed 0.2.3 yet, butt....

Given that you have everything working perfectly in 0.2.2 there is little you need to do. However, make sure you have everything set up right for a new version:

- new database -- old one won't work
- database kickstart. I don't know if 0.2.3 needs it, but there is a sticky thread about that and some people need to kickstart the db, others don't
-if you are on two machines, change the boot5zones batch files to have the correct IPs; if you are on one, don't touch it.

Here are the files to look at:

-loginserver.ini
-db.ini
-boot5zones batch (NT or 9x version)

also don't forget to populate the database

**added**

and here is the thread about kickstarting the db:
http://forums.eqemu.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=258

Wiz
02-13-2002, 08:23 AM
Hmm. I have to wipe the DB every time I upgrade to a new version? That's not fun. No way to get around this or save my changes to it?

Yodason
02-13-2002, 02:07 PM
the .map files are for npc movement and can be created from the zone files in your eq directory using some tool i dont recall name of. They are OPTIONAL.

Wiz
02-13-2002, 02:26 PM
Sometimes I should think before I post :)

I got it all working, I had forgotten to edit boot5zones, pretty much. And I forgot all about importing DB's with FQadmin :P

Anyways, thanks for the help.

Trumpcard
02-14-2002, 12:33 AM
If you want to save your characters, then dump your database and save the rows for your accounts and characters out of those 2 tables. Then after reloading the new databases, just reload those rows back in. Should work just fine until they change the struct on the account or character table. Then it still wouldnt be too hard to put back in, just figure out the columns they added and flub and extra parameter or 2 into your update.

madborg
02-14-2002, 10:29 AM
the .map files are for npc movement and can be created from the zone files in your eq directory using some tool i dont recall name of. They are OPTIONAL.

it's called something like scr2maps.exe. It's a multistep process that involves EQinside and Zoneconverter to produce a 3D file of type SCR. That SCR file is then converted to a 3D map file.

Each map file is over 2 MB but has the information that can be used on the server side to create waypoints and other types of routing/movement information.

Btw, where is the developer for movement and quest stuff? Haven't seen him post since the move to this board.