PDA

View Full Version : Server Backup and General Newbie Thread

utbbop
01-27-2015, 09:17 PM
Hi All,
New to the server creation community, hoping for some guidance.

I am running Akka's Repack and using the EOC.
http://wiki.eqemulator.org/p?Akkas_PEQ_Server_Repack&frm=Main

I dont think the two are necessarily related but figured this would be an ok area for me to post my question. if it needs moved, my appologies.

I have a couple questions related to how this all works.

Let me preface all this by stating that I generally understand the basics of server creation and world building but have a hard time with the "Server" specifics and HeidiSQL stuff. I am currently developing a fully custom server, to be titled "PlanarQuest", and have managed to put together the following:

- Populated "Hub" Zone with Quest NPC(working quests), Buff NPC, Corpse Summon and Rez NPC.
- 10 Identified and Partially Populated Tier Zones for Leveling and Gearing up.
- 5 Identified Raid Tiers
- Fully Itemized and Balanced Tier 1
- Nearly 1000's Custom Items Made
- Customized Server Rules and Variables (exp, zone loc's, skills, etc)
- 30 Custom Spells

Now, for where I am struggling/concerned:

- Server Backup
Navigated to C Drive -> EQ - AKKA'S PEQ REPACK -> EQEMU SERVER -> t_backup_server_database.bat. This produces a 0 byte peq<date>.sql file. I don't know what to do with this file ICE and I also feel like 0 Bytes is a red flag.

- Server Updates
How do I know what Database version I am running? and do I need to worry about anything in regards to what version PEQ DB Editor Tool I use when editing NPCs and whatnot. It appears like the only difference between v421 and v460 for me is that v460 wont generate a spell file for me, it errors out. Does my DB auto update somehow and it happens behind the scenes?

- Server Upkeep and Performance
I am probably far off from having to worry about this but what do I need to consider with running a server? Aside from general electricity cost and home PC upgrades I may need, what other things do i need to consider? Do I have hosting options available to me? (Perhaps a company where I provide them my files or something and they host them and run the server, if that sort of thing exists).

Appreciate anyone who can spare the time for some feedback and/or insight into these items for me. I did do some searching but having a hard time finding some current results.

Thanks all,

Akkadius
01-27-2015, 10:26 PM
- Server Backup
Navigated to C Drive -> EQ - AKKA'S PEQ REPACK -> EQEMU SERVER -> t_backup_server_database.bat. This produces a 0 byte peq<date>.sql file. I don't know what to do with this file ICE and I also feel like 0 Bytes is a red flag.

Need to make sure MariaDB database install is in your Windows PATH variable, this is a known issue with the repack. It causes backup scripts to not work because they rely on knowing where to find binaries such as 'mysqdump'

It appears like the only difference between v421 and v460 for me is that v460 wont generate a spell file for me, it errors out. Does my DB auto update somehow and it happens behind the scenes?

460 now generates a spellfile, this was an issue server side with write permissions.

As far as updating, making sure your windows PATH variable is set for MariaDB (MySQL) and the eqemu update script will take care of it if you get a hold of new windows binaries. Some other folks can help you answer that question as I need to go.

As well as other questions I'll let others pick those up.

utbbop
01-28-2015, 09:26 AM
- Server Backup

Need to make sure MariaDB database install is in your Windows PATH variable, this is a known issue with the repack. It causes backup scripts to not work because they rely on knowing where to find binaries such as 'mysqdump'

It appears like the only difference between v421 and v460 for me is that v460 wont generate a spell file for me, it errors out. Does my DB auto update somehow and it happens behind the scenes?

460 now generates a spellfile, this was an issue server side with write permissions.

As far as updating, making sure your windows PATH variable is set for MariaDB (MySQL) and the eqemu update script will take care of it if you get a hold of new windows binaries. Some other folks can help you answer that question as I need to go.

As well as other questions I'll let others pick those up.

Thanks for the info Akka.
I did some google-fu and came across this post:
http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/printthread.php?t=38836&pp=15&page=9

Followed the following instructions and the backup.bat now created a 22.5 MB zip/rar file:
Windows 8

Drag the Mouse pointer to the Right bottom corner of the screen
Click on the Search icon and type: Control Panel
Click on -> Control Panel -> System -> Advanced
Click on Environment Variables, under System Variables, find PATH, and click on it.
In the Edit windows, modify PATH by adding the location of the MariaDB binaries (i.e. C:\Program Files\MariaDB 10.0\bin) to the value for PATH.
Close the window.

utbbop
02-02-2015, 09:45 AM
Thanks again for the feedback akka.

Anyone able to assist with my other questions related to:

Thanks all!

provocating
02-02-2015, 12:24 PM
Thanks again for the feedback akka.

Anyone able to assist with my other questions related to:

Thanks all!
Really need more information to even be able to answer that question. Are you wanting to host it from home? Do you have a static i.p. address available to you? Do you have the funds available to you for paying for hosting? How many players are your end goal? Are you planning on making an elaborate website, you will need more bandwidth for that?

Akkadius
02-02-2015, 12:46 PM
http://wiki.eqemulator.org/p?Tuning_Server_Performance

utbbop
02-02-2015, 06:54 PM
http://wiki.eqemulator.org/p?Tuning_Server_Performance

Thanks a ton Akka, great place to get me started and thinking in the right direction.

utbbop
02-02-2015, 06:59 PM
Really need more information to even be able to answer that question. Are you wanting to host it from home? Do you have a static i.p. address available to you? Do you have the funds available to you for paying for hosting? How many players are your end goal? Are you planning on making an elaborate website, you will need more bandwidth for that?

Thanks for the follow up Provo.

Are you wanting to host it from home?
Not against this, my determination would be based on the server needs and my available internet speeds through Time Warner.

Do you have a static i.p. address available to you?
Not entirely sure, probably something I would need to research with Time Warner?

Do you have the funds available to you for paying for hosting? How many players are your end goal?
Not entirely sure as I dont have any clue as to cost here. I anticipate a server that attracts less than 100 connections at any time. Probably more like 20-50 connections is more realistic...

If my options are to host at home or pay for hosting I think my preference would be to pay for hosting...assuming the cost isnt ridiculous. I really just have zero education on hosting a server with a third party. In my head, i picture paying someone to access a virtual machine of sorts where I can access my "AKKAS PEQ REPACK" folder to start/end/backup my server, etc. I would then re-establish connections to the EOC using the "virtual machines" IP's and stuff...

Are you planning on making an elaborate website, you will need more bandwidth for that?
Not planning anything elaborate. Just a simple site with a forums and landing/news page.

Thanks Provo, let me know if you want more info.

provocating
02-03-2015, 02:40 PM
I would start out slow, maybe host it yourself with a dynamic dns service for the time being. See how many players you attract to begin with. Also see how you like it as far as being the GM. I can tell you now it is a challenge when you have things coming at you from all different directions, many fires to put out. I would not go full blown until you get the hang of it and know for sure this is what you want to do.

And something I always preach......backup......backup.......backup

utbbop
02-04-2015, 11:40 AM
I would start out slow, maybe host it yourself with a dynamic dns service for the time being. See how many players you attract to begin with. Also see how you like it as far as being the GM. I can tell you now it is a challenge when you have things coming at you from all different directions, many fires to put out. I would not go full blown until you get the hang of it and know for sure this is what you want to do.

And something I always preach......backup......backup.......backup

Thanks and I am in agreement.

In terms of backup. The tool provided with Akka's Repack should suffice, correct? Or is there an additional level of backup needed?
(Aka does Akka's backup solution backup all server related items such as quests and the DB or does it only do the DB and I should be backing up quests separately?)

provocating
02-04-2015, 12:24 PM
Thanks and I am in agreement.

In terms of backup. The tool provided with Akka's Repack should suffice, correct? Or is there an additional level of backup needed?
(Aka does Akka's backup solution backup all server related items such as quests and the DB or does it only do the DB and I should be backing up quests separately?)

Everything I run is done in Linux, so I do not use such a tool. I am not sure if that tool lets you schedule a backup, most are not that elaborate. I was talking about scheduling backups and multiple levels. I never just trust one backup solution unless the data is not that important.

Akkadius
02-04-2015, 02:33 PM
Everything I run is done in Linux, so I do not use such a tool. I am not sure if that tool lets you schedule a backup, most are not that elaborate. I was talking about scheduling backups and multiple levels. I never just trust one backup solution unless the data is not that important.

You can trust my db_dumper.pl that backups up a database automatically and creates a tar file, this script downloads from eqemu_update.pl in one of the options.

I use it on a tasked basis for Windows and it works amazingly.

provocating
02-04-2015, 04:10 PM
You can trust my db_dumper.pl that backups up a database automatically and creates a tar file, this script downloads from eqemu_update.pl in one of the options.

I use it on a tasked basis for Windows and it works amazingly.

Well there you go, throw that in your task scheduler and you are good to go.